Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

•Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

•While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, don’t call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

•After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

•Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
The testing complaints depend on the role of the person you are speaking to.
Thank you for taking the time to answer in great detail and at a level that I can make sense of it. Over the last two weeks or so I have heard a lot of excuses and explanations from various people, but the two sentence explanations were never actually helpful. Your post is an example of what makes this thread so valuable.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:34 pm

Under ‘normal’ circumstances ,taking an antibody test ( to show a previous infection) would lessen some of the anxiety, and perhaps speed economic recovery , as those with a positive result ( reflecting exposure and recovery, presumably in the context of a mild infection, and some level of immunity) could return to more normal activities sooner, and without apprehension.
But even though such a test is said to be available imminently ( developed in Singapore), I guess it’s unlikely to have widespread application for a while , given the systems are under so much pressure. But in the longer term it will be interesting to see just how far and quickly this thing went.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:17 am

Goes to show why civil defense outfits that rely on first responders are not organized to handle severe outbreaks. What is needed are contagion-handling units that specialize in 24x7 force protection, which can be civil or military but must train and model properly.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Herd Immunity" being discussed in the UK:

https://fortune.com/2020/03/14/coron...nity-covid-19/

For herd immunity to kick in, the U.K. government said that about 60% of the population would need to contract the virus. At that point, the rate of transmissions drops enough to protect the remaining 40% of the population from contracting the virus. But the strategy is also based around trying to manage which people are in that 60%—in an ideal scenario, the government would want only those most likely to experience a mild illness to get infected.

Would you want to be part of the herd?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by username
"Herd Immunity" being discussed in the UK:

https://fortune.com/2020/03/14/coron...nity-covid-19/

For herd immunity to kick in, the U.K. government said that about 60% of the population would need to contract the virus. At that point, the rate of transmissions drops enough to protect the remaining 40% of the population from contracting the virus. But the strategy is also based around trying to manage which people are in that 60%—in an ideal scenario, the government would want only those most likely to experience a mild illness to get infected.

Would you want to be part of the herd?
Without further quality-of-life impact and with likely immunity from current strains conferred on me and mine, it should be a good deal. The problem is collecting the benefits in whole...
ajGoes likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:52 am
Suspended

And I thought this thread is about coronavirus at the airlines lounges at airports.
JetBunny likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
One of the store-bought pizzas I buy for baking at home are baked at 250C (c.480F) in the electric oven. In 5.5-8 minutes, it’s ready and far removed from being all ashes even at 9 minutes.

Originally Posted by Mama
And I thought this thread is about coronavirus at the airlines lounges at airports.
SAS lounges in part are sort of telling: the business side of the lounges tend to be more of a ghost town than the Star Gold side of the lounges.

Priority Pass lounge use seems to have plummeted due to this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 14, 2020 at 2:08 am
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:30 am
Suspended

I would not touch the food from buffet anywhere now, including lounges.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:09 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by azepine00
I d do amtrak with my own food purely from risk prospective... airplane even half full means ppl nearby who may sneeze or cough plus confined spaces like jetbridges.. otoh if you wear n95 mask and perhaps gloves you should be able to stay protected during short duration of commute..
Agreed. Just pack your own food and enjoy the train.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Would a person who has recovered from COVID-19 test positive for the virus?
Not for the virus but ideally positive for antibodies. What I think we are still waiting for is how the antibodies would cope with reinfection and how long they remain in the body.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:16 am
Suspended

So...is it safe to eat airplane food?
The possible way of contamination would be flight attendants dirty hands. Cathay Pacific did found one infected FA working onboard.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:26 am

I don’t think dirty is the right word.

Regardless, we in Asia went through this 6 weeks ago.

Cathay did away with trolley service and gave first and business class meals on single trays and they moved economy to disposable bagged meals with a handheld hot main course.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...f-coronavirus/

Singapore Airlines did sway with hot drinks and loose snacks like nuts and more.

https://www.todayonline.com/commenta...airport-travel
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
A few questions:

1. Is it improper -- that is, a selfish misuse of limited testing availability -- to get tested if I don't meet the local criteria? About 16 days ago, I came down with a sore throat during a transcon redeye. (I'm not surprised; I'd been getting 3-5 hours' sleep for a week.) That day, I felt fatigued, and that night I slept about 16 hours and had chills. The situation dramatically improved the next day, and I felt fine by that next evening. I bought a digital thermometer, and my temperature was 98.something. It's been 97.6-98.something since. However, I've noticed a very mild sore throat occasionally since then.

My parents are in their late 60s, and they want me to leave the city (I'm a law student; classes have gone online) to stay with them. They're more or less ideally situated for disease outbreak: They live on a farm an hour outside the city, with enormous physical space between neighbors. They also have a guest apartment, which is physically separate from the house. I'm considering going out there for a few weeks. However, my university seems willing to let me get tested on Monday. I'm not sure whether to take them up on it, mostly since I don't want to waste resources.

2. Can I go to a barbershop and get a haircut? I was scheduled to see my regular barber a week ago, but he mentioned he had a fever and asked to reschedule to the next day. I did not take him up on it. My backup barbershop is a very crowded storefront place with chairs jammed close together and tons of walk-ins. I'm giving it a pass.

3. How concerned should I be about visiting a grocery store? I live in a Northeastern city, and I'm somewhat apprehensive about heading to the nearby supermarket, CVS or 7-11. Still, I figure I should do so now (no, I'm not buying toilet paper). I hate cooking -- I more or less epitomize everything you hate about millennials -- but I figure I should freeze some things.

Of course, I'm also deeply concerned about the economy. (This is a bad time to be a 3L looking to join a large firm.) But I'm principally concerned about when it's safe for me to have physical contact with my parents, who are themselves very nervous.

Last edited by ezefllying; Apr 13, 2020 at 10:00 pm Reason: Typos
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:07 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by ezefllying
A few questions:

1. Is it improper -- that is, a selfish misuse of limited testing availability -- to get tasted if I don't meet the local criteria? About 16 days ago, I came down with a sore throat during a transcon redeye. (I'm not surprised; I'd been getting 3-5 hours' sleep for a week.) That day, I felt fatigued, and that night I slept about 16 hours and had chills. The situation dramatically improved the next day, and I felt fine by that next evening. I bought a digital thermometer, and my temperature was 98.something. It's been 97.6-98.something since. However, I've noticed a very mild sore throat occasionally since then. LINK: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/04/healt...ner/index.html

My parents are in their late 60s, and they want me to leave the city (I'm a law student; classes have gone online) to stay with them. They're more or less ideally situated for disease outbreak: They live on a farm an hour outside the city, with enormous physical space between neighbors. They also have a guest apartment, which is physically separate from the house. I'm considering going out there for a few weeks. However, my university seems willing to let me get tested on Monday. I'm not sure whether to take them up on it, mostly since I don't want to waste resources. It doesn't sound like you have COVID-19 if your temperature is normal and you are feeling better. I'd say it's time to head home. Like your parents, I live in a semi-rural area with acreage and feel like I am in an ideal situation for any need to self-quarantine.

2. Can I go to a barbershop and get a haircut? I was scheduled to see my regular barber a week ago, but he mentioned he had a fever and asked to reschedule to the next day. I did not take him up on it. My backup barbershop is a very crowded storefront place with chairs jammed close together and tons of walk-ins. I'm giving it a pass. I need a haircut but am holding off. I may end up having my wife who has no experience cutting hair take a wack at it. LINK: https://www.insider.com/experts-say-...navirus-2020-3

3. How concerned should I be about visiting a grocery store? I live in a Northeastern city, and I'm somewhat apprehensive about heading to the nearby supermarket, CVS or 7-11. Still, I figure I should do so now (no, I'm not buying toilet paper). I hate cooking -- I more or less epitomize everything you hate about millennials -- but I figure I should freeze some things. I have stocked up my pantry and freezer in anticipation that if a required quarantine is announced, there will be little time to stock up and those who procrastinated will be swarming the food stores. Not only will there be panic buying but being in close proximity to others at that point is not wise. Shop when the supermarket opens (6am around here) or 30 minutes before they close in the evening. You'll find significantly fewer people around.

Of course, I'm also deeply concerned about the economy. (This is a bad time to be a 3L looking to join a large firm.) But I'm principally concerned about when it's safe for me to have physical contact with my parents, who are themselves very nervous. I visit my parents fairly often but have told them it may be a while until I see them. I do not want to put them at any additional risk. They have also started to self-quarantine. Your situation is different as they have a separate place for you to stay and having you home may be helpful if things gets worse.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:42 am

Does having intensive care facilities actually improve the survival rate from COVID-19? Or does it merely delay the inevitable death?

Did any intensive care patients actually recover from the illness?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.