Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

•Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

•While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, don’t call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

•After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

•Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by STS-134
Except no one has said you can't travel. They're simply saying that if you travel, you have to quarantine for 14 days on arrival. Hawaii hasn't told me that I can't go to Hawaii. They've simply said that if I go, I have to remain in my hotel room for 14 days so they can be sure I'm not a SARS-CoV-2 carrier.

There's a big difference between saying that someone can't travel and imposing certain reasonable conditions on travel, given the circumstances right now.
The CDC's advisory tonight still says "The CDC urges residents of New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut to refrain from non-essential domestic travel for 14 days effective immediately." I wonder what this means to people who feel strongly they need to get out of the Tri-State area... I wonder what is next if this does not work.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...in-the-us.html
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage; Delta Skymiles; United MileagePlus; Air Canada Aeroplan; Air France FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by Visconti
Mostly from cable TV, which I hadn't realized how terrible they really are until these past several weeks where I've been sheltered and watched more than usual. I'm a political orphan and suspect both sides probably dislike me equally. I'm just frustrated by, in my estimation, an overreaction to this thing, and find remarkable how so many easily and readily accept Gov't overreach.

I have properties in other States, and this would be a violation of my Const "freedom of movement," in my view.
Overreaction, really? You have people dying by the hundreds in a day in other countries (even a thousand a day in Italy), and you call this an overreaction? Do you want this death toll here?

Government overreach, freedom of movement... blah blah... same usual crap from people who are more concerned about themselves than what’s good for everyone. Quite frankly, who gives a crap that you have properties in other states? Why is that more important to you than staying put to prevent the spread of the virus?

More to the point, why can’t you accept to lose some freedom of movement for a while in order for your right to live and not die of infection to be protected?

Some of you need to re-evaluate your priorities in life.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
Except no one has said you can't travel. They're simply saying that if you travel, you have to quarantine for 14 days on arrival. Hawaii hasn't told me that I can't go to Hawaii. They've simply said that if I go, I have to remain in my hotel room for 14 days so they can be sure I'm not a SARS-CoV-2 carrier.

There's a big difference between saying that someone can't travel and imposing certain reasonable conditions on travel, given the circumstances right now.
Gov Newsom's shelter in place? For now, I don't have an issue with it, but if I chose to leave, I'm not sure anyone's going to stop me. And, if they tried, we'll see what a Fed Judge has to say about it.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage; Delta Skymiles; United MileagePlus; Air Canada Aeroplan; Air France FlyingBlue
Gov Newsom's shelter in place? For now, I don't have an issue with it, but if I chose to leave, I'm not sure anyone's going to stop me. And, if they tried, we'll see what a Fed Judge has to say about it.
Why on earth would you choose to leave?

Why would you even talk about challenging someone trying to stop you in federal court?

Do you not understand this is for your own good?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
You'll feel free to sue while still having to stay put. You won't get a resolution before everything will be over.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:28 am

Agreed. If I even remotely, even with the coronavirus, felt I could be infected, I'd stay put. Moreover, I couldn't agree more that this experiment called the United States of America is bigger than not only myself but all of us, even POTUS, Congress and SCOTUS combined.
How would you know you are not infected?
Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
What is "total collapse" of health care? Everyone walks off the job? Get real, worst case scenario is hospitals fill up and only emergency patients are admitted. The vast majority of the population is not going to be waiting in line outside the hospital.
10 days after your message, the health care system of NYC is completely overwhelmed. Looks like it is on the edge of collapse and no chance things will not get worse at least for another week or two. Let's see what happens in another 10 days
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by HKTraveler
10 days after your message, the health care system of NYC is completely overwhelmed. Looks like it is on the edge of collapse and no chance things will not get worse at least for another week or two. Let's see what happens in another 10 days
They're expanding capacity. There are businesses making PPE as fast as they can.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
How would you know you are not infected?
Ah, I don't know 100%, I suppose. We've all been practicing vigorous mitigation and social distancing, so I'd imagine the odds of being infected are remote. Not that I intend to violate the shelter in place, but I don't think anyone here cares to enforce it.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
You'll feel free to sue while still having to stay put. You won't get a resolution before everything will be over.
*If* I wanted to for whatever reason drive to my place in Tahoe, neither you nor anyone else is going to stop me. All anyone has to do is drive around SF to see this shelter in place isn't enforced, at all. Moreover, I'm not even sure if we arrest for petty theft, and I'm going to fear arrest for driving from here to a place I legally own in another State with a Const protected "freedom of movement"?

Now, Nevada or any other State may insist I self quarantine for 14 days, which is fine.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 4:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
They're expanding capacity. There are businesses making PPE as fast as they can.
And yet there are shortages of such equipment at hospitals in NYC, elsewhere downstate and also in parts upstate. Even hospitals in the rural South and Midwest are encountering shortages, but many of them have the liberty of cutting down staff temporarily due to backing off from “elective procedures” and even some outpatient care.

All this talk trying to make it seem like things are quickly getting back to normal with supplies or are close to normal is not lining up with a lot of what is going on at healthcare facilities across the country. Even in the parts of “flyover country” that are not flyover for me.

There is a lot of mobilization happening and there is capacity of sorts being added, but this is far from situation normal or a quick return to situation normal. This will feel like a snafu for many.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 6:15 am

https://www.barrons.com/articles/put...un-51585334488

Data tracking foot traffic and online transactions, from a variety of sources, though, offer a view of what is happening at malls, big-box retailers, supermarkets, in fast food, and even with production of mask respirators, in short supply since the outbreak hit the U.S. Some of the findings are expected; some came as a surprise.

I had never before watched so much TV, read internet stuff and engaged with social media. This is not a good thing...
Old Mar 29, 2020, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Eric2203
More to the point, why can’t you accept to lose some freedom of movement for a while in order for your right to live and not die of infection to be protected?
The likelihood of my or their dying is extremely low. And there's no guarantee that giving up freedom of movement is going to prevent infection. Which in my opinion would be the worst, not only did you waste the last month of your life locked in a house instead of living it, but you also got sick anyways.

Also, why should people be forced to endure the mental health complications of isolation and social distancing (which many people are already struggling with)?
Old Mar 29, 2020, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Also, why should people be forced to endure the mental health complications of isolation and social distancing (which many people are already struggling with)?
*If* this economic shutdown continues, there will be a portion of the population here who may become despaired to a point where they may dispense with any regard for the social order. While we live in very safe neighborhood, this isn't something in which I'd subject my family to. My contingency, set well in advance, to flee this city isn't because of the coronavirus, but concerns over the potential unintended consequences triggered by our response.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 7:39 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan

still not fast enough. Read this link. Toward the bottom the CDC has finally realized some places just wont have enough.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ace-masks.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.