Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

•Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

•While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, don’t call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

•After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

•Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Also not sure comparing Germany to anyone else is the best of ideas since they’ve been the best at containment.
That was just a random selection, but all countries are listed in the article I referenced.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:40 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by iahphx
Interesting story from a traveler from China to the USA. He says America isn't as safe, since it isn't as prepared. I see where he's coming from, but I think he's mostly wrong. The reality is that, with humans, you need an imminent threat to get people to act. In China, it became obvious that there was a huge problem and people did what they had to do to stay safe. The same thing will happen in America if the virus hits us hard (which, if you believe the experts, is still unlikely). The good thing for America is that we'll know immediately what we're dealing with; China lost time because it didn't know what was going on and the authorities initially wanted to downplay the problem (as authorities, especially in authoritarian states, are often inclined to do).

https://www.yahoo.com/news/californi...173042979.html
Digging this 10 days old message - do you still think that American response in past weeks (with the exception of last two days) was adequate?
karenkay and notquiteaff like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:40 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Amazing footage - drone over deserted WAW downtown

https://www.portandterminal.com/watc...ring-pandemic/

Only groceries, petrol stations, drug stores and pharmacies are open (restaurants and bars can still do take aways and deliveries). Mandatory WFH. But groceries are well stocked.
nk15 likes this.

Last edited by TPJ; Mar 16, 2020 at 5:46 am
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:54 am

There are opinions out there that the virus will eventually mutate into a less deadly version, just like other viruses did in the past.

Is this a realistic expectation in this case?

I understand that "overly deadly" viruses have a disadvantage of spreading out more slowly (due to virus carriers dying too soon to infect many others). But here, we have both a long incubation time and a long "benign" phase of the illness with just common cold symptoms. Or are there other mechanism favoring less deadly virus strains too?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I can’t believe what’s happening. Never in my life have I seen something happen so quickly day-to-day, week-to-week.

it’s impossible to book anything at this time, especially mileage runs. Traveling around on different airlines is so hard because there’s a very realistic chance one of your segments gets canceled.

I guess it’s time to get out the Netflix, rice and beans, and toilet paper and wait this one out... I am self employed so without flying and being where I have to be it really ruins me.

Here’s to this whole mess clearing up, and everyone staying safe.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Hezu
Saturday morning Finnish national broadcaster YLE showed a Q&A session with a medical expert and the last question was if bathing in a sauna can kill the SARS-CoV2 and the answer was that unfortunately this won't help. And a proper sauna should be warmer than 50 °C!
To be clear, I didn't mean a sauna could kill the virus within you, but rather that it could kill the virus that recently arrived on your skin, hair or towel. And yes, above e 50 degrees is better!

But thanks for the Finnish perspective.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I can’t believe what’s happening. Never in my life have I seen something happen so quickly day-to-day, week-to-week.

it’s impossible to book anything at this time, especially mileage runs. Traveling around on different airlines is so hard because there’s a very realistic chance one of your segments will canceled by one segment.

I guess it’s time to get out the Netflix, rice and beans, and toilet paper and wait this one out... I am self employed so without flying and being where I have to be it really ruins me.

Here’s to this whole mess clearing up and everyone staying safe.
Mileage runs? Now? Seriously? And I don't understand the fascination with toilet paper. Covid-19 does not give you the runs!
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:28 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Mileage runs? Now? Seriously? And I don't understand the fascination with toilet paper. Covid-19 does not give you the runs!
The toilet paper bit was a joke...

Exactly, I had to cancel. I actually wasn’t going to let the virus effect me but with this travel ban on Cambodia for US citizens I have no choice.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by bobbytables
Case fatality rate can’t accurately be described as “death rate”.

comparing CFR between countries is extremely problematic, because different countries have different testing regimes, so the % of infections that are recorded as cases will vary significantly between countries.

It’s highly unlikely that there is any meaningful difference in real fatality rate between the UK and Germany right now. The UK will just have a much larger number of infections that are not recorded as cases, which is to be expected given the strategy they are implementing.

it’s impossible to book anything at this time, especially mileage runs. Traveling around on different airlines is so hard because there’s a very realistic chance one of your segments gets canceled.

Here’s to this whole mess clearing up, and everyone staying safe.
You really shouldn’t be trying to book anything.
Sjoerd likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bobbytables
It’s highly unlikely that there is any meaningful difference in real fatality rate between the UK and Germany right now. The UK will just have a much larger number of infections that are not recorded as cases, which is to be expected given the strategy they are implementing.
We are talking about the exponential growth phase ATM.

The UK has one of the highest growth rates in deaths from COVID-19. Yes, there is statistical uncertainty about these numbers.

But what we're seeing suggests that South Korea did a better job in containment than China. Italy and Spain did a worse job than China. And it looks like the UK may be doing one of the worst jobs, despite having had more time.

Furthermore, we know the UK has a number of critical-care beds which is worrisome. There are just ~7 critical-care beds per 100k population. France, Germany, Italy, Spain all got more than that.

If the US bans Schengen countries, it must ban the UK which is likely to have one of the most severe outbreaks in a matter of a week or two tops.
Sjoerd likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:10 am
Suspended

I find the UK's approach fascinating and it will be interesting to look back a year from now to see what happened.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:16 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Also not sure comparing Germany to anyone else is the best of ideas since they’ve been the best at containment.
How have they been the best at containment ?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by susiesan
I cannot make any changes to the way I operate. I don't have shifts, I work from 7:30 to 4. The trucks that come in from the manufacturer with the boxes of air filters only come in during the day and customers either pick up or I ship their orders out during the day. This is not an amazon business, this is a real local company, like a hardware store. I cannot possibly clean a 16,000 square foot warehouse in a 100 year old building. Welcome to the real world of running a small business that gets zero help from the federal government. Just the other day my employees asked me if I was going to shut down during this Wuhan virus panic, they don't want to be sent home for a month without pay. I told them I intend to stay open and they will have their jobs.
I too have a 100 year old building for my business, and it has old wood flooring with lots of cracks and gaps. There are lots of creatures living in there with me. Snakes, lizards, rats, bats, etc. Extermination only knocks things down for a few weeks so traps and bait are most effective, meaning that I am daily exposed to lots of vermin-carried pathogens as I clean-up their droppings, carcasses, and messes (e.g. the snake who died inside an electrical conduit because it couldn't get out after swallowing a rat). In addition, we have a giant bat colony about 500 feet from my building (bats are good by the way, they control insect populations, including mosquitos) and every now and then, one sneaks into my 2nd story, which is non-climate-controlled warehouse space. The smell from the bat colony is horrendous sometimes, and I can't help thinking that, since bats are the reservoirs for dozens of different types of corona viruses, I've been exposed to a bunch of them already.

My people are relying on me as their sole source of income, so I am still running at full speed but, in my situation, they can do 95% of their work at home and that allows me to maximize social distancing as much as I can.

The truth is that we small business entities provide most of the jobs in America and I, like you, have never gotten a dime of government assistance or been able to qualify for a low-interest loan program. I have a crappy Obamacare health insurance policy that costs me 10K a year (no subsidies for me) and covers nothing (it's the cheapest Bronze plan).

Last edited by zombietooth; Mar 16, 2020 at 3:18 pm
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:17 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
How have they been the best at containment?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by lupine
The US is also a much larger country geographically than Italy. If there is an outbreak in Seattle that swamps the hospitals there it doesn't matter than Maine has hospital beds that are open.

This is likely to be a regional problem with different regions at different points on the curve at any given time.
"Spiking U.S. coronavirus cases could force rationing decisions similar to those made in Italy, China"

(excerpts)

"By many accounts, the United States is ill-prepared for a such a situation.

A 2005 federal government report estimated that in the event of a pandemic like the 1918 flu, we would need mechanical ventilators for 740,000 patients. Currently 160,000 ventilators are available for patient care, with at least an another 8,900 in the national stockpile, according to a February estimate by the Center for Health Security at Johns Hopkins."

(From NYS triage plan):

"The plan’s basic outlines are simple and “fairly draconian,” Rosoff explained. “If you are in respiratory failure and there is a ventilator available and an ICU bed, and you meet certain medical criteria, you go on the ventilator. You have a certain amount of time to get better. If you don’t, we’ll take you off and give it to someone else.”

(Other random excerpt)

"Some state recommendations do not set specific age cutoffs for ventilators during rationing, while others explicitly exclude access for older people, with access barred to those ranging in age from 65 to 85. A Minnesota panel, for instance, recommended prioritizing children over adults, and young adults over older adults, while the New York group did not use age as a criteria in itself."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/sp...?ocid=primedhp

Last edited by nk15; Mar 16, 2020 at 8:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.