Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

•Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

•While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, don’t call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

•After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

•Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will there be a baby boom in 8 or 9 months?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I’ve had two leisure trips canceled in the past two days. One to PNH, another to Las Vegas. I love flying and being able to get away when I want as I’m sure most do on here.

I feel like I’m on the Truman Show where Jim Carrey’s character tries to travel and something always comes up to stop him no matter what.

Stay safe everyone.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:31 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Also,Take Away, Door Dash, or the like, will be in bags/boxes/containers almost guaranteed to have live virus if exposed. Perhaps fixing ones own food is the way to go for now. I don't see anyway to sanitize packaging that has been handled by others.
Emm this city's been collectively eating delivery food for last six weeks and we have yet to have a case traced back to delivery people...

We certainly had outbreaks from people eating together (Google "hotpot family").
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
CVS sent false coronavirus information to staff

The Chief Medical Officer of CVS sent a communication to staff that said
Drinking warm water is an effective way to wash the virus into your stomach, where it is killed
which is completely false.

How does something like this happen?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Also,Take Away, Door Dash, or the like, will be in bags/boxes/containers almost guaranteed to have live virus if exposed. Perhaps fixing ones own food is the way to go for now. I don't see anyway to sanitize packaging that has been handled by others.
This is ridiculous scaremongering. Virtually everyone in a big city in China will have been eating delivered food every day during the lockdown. There is no evidence whatsoever that transmission via delivery bags/boxes/containers is remotely plausible.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:02 am

Good leadership is key.

WATCH: New York Governor Cuomo Praises Trump, Gives Patriotic Message
- I spoke to the president this morning again. He is ready, willing, and able to help, I’ve been speaking with members of his staff late last night. Early this morning. We need their help. Especially on the hospital capacity issue. We need FEMA. FEMA has tremendous resources. When I was at HUD I worked with FEMA. I know what they can do. I know what the Army Corps of Engineers can do. They have a capacity that we simply do not have.

I said to the president, who is a New Yorker, who I have known for many, many years, I put my hand out and partnership. I want to work together 100%. I need your help. I want your help. New Yorkers will do everything they can to be good partners with the federal government.

I think the president was 100% sincere in saying that he wanted to work together in partnership and in a spirit of cooperation. Steps he has taken <are> evidence of that. His team has been on it. I know a team when they are on it. I know a team when they are not on it. His team is on it. They have been responsive late at night, early in the morning. And they’ve thus far been doing everything that they can do, and I want to say thank you, and I want to say that I appreciate it, and they will have nothing but cooperation and partnership from the state of New York. -

Last edited by FlitBen; Mar 18, 2020 at 9:16 pm Reason: spelling errors in quote
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
the US already spends more than the UK per patient. They'd SAVE money by going to universal healthcare.
Yeah, and then 90% of the worlds medical innovation that are used everywhere would cease to exist.
FlitBen likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by ecobiz
Well yeah.

UK health experts say that global lockdowns (social distancing, curfews, travel bans) could last for the next 12-18 months. It's been all over the news in Europe today.

And again, try to fathom: No more flying for at least 1 year, not even some domestic traveling (some German states have already begun to prohibit hotel stays for tourists, regardless of nationality.
Not everyone on here works a 9-5 at an office or somewhere else. We HAVE to travel to feed our families. So what are we suppose to do?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Yeah, and then 90% of the worlds medical innovation that are used everywhere would cease to exist.
Do you have a source for this statistic? Or a reputable expert that holds this opinion? Or any evidence to back up this assertion?

Undoubtedly some enter the medical research industry to make money. But may also enter the industry simply to save lives and make the world a better place.

Think this man, Jonas Salk. https://www.sciencehistory.org/histo...rt-bruce-sabin

A real hero. He created the polio vaccine and saved millions of children from a life of machines and misery. He chose not patent to the vaccine, but to make it a public good. And I venture that more people are like him than those motivated by money.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Do you have a source for this statistic? Or a reputable expert that holds this opinion? Or any evidence to back up this assertion?
I have a documentary source, and my claim can be verified by google that 90% of the world’s medical innovation come out of the US- FOR PROFIT. I would also recommend watching the discussion Michael Moore has on CNN with Sanjay Gupta. It’s very interesting.

Yes, the man who invented the polio vaccine did so with altruistic intentions, and good for him (I saw “Sicko” too). Not to mention healthcare system’s where you have to get on a list for a life saving procedure, and you’ll be dead by the time it’s your turn. I was friends with nurses in Canada, and they would have to tell their patients if they didn’t go to the US for care, they would die.

I have lived in Holland, Germany, and the US. I have seen both systems up close. Yes we know “profit” is a dirty word when it comes to healthcare (and I somewhat agree with that) but unfortunately it’s the way the world works today. You can have care for everyone, but it’s not good care with minimal choices. Or you can have good care that not everyone gets. It’s just simple economics, and you have to decide what society you want to live in.

Here’s the special:
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by bobbytables
This is ridiculous scaremongering. Virtually everyone in a big city in China will have been eating delivered food every day during the lockdown. There is no evidence whatsoever that transmission via delivery bags/boxes/containers is remotely plausible.
What about food workers?
https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/east-...s-food-workers
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
That's been my thought. In China, I think that if you can't work due to illness you are eligible for assistance. Not the case in the US. In fact, these lower wage jobs, employing people who can barely afford a day without pay, almost never have paid sick leave and often will summarily fire you if you're out for three days in a row. Short of being required to insure the health of their workers, eating takeaway and fast food has got to be one of the more dangerous things you can do right now. If, of course, you think coronavirus is something to avoid. If you figure it's like a cold, enjoy!
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Sure, it's possible. But if it was happening on a widespread scale, we would already see evidence of it. Food delivery is enormously popular, especially in some of the countries that have the lowest case number growth, and is only becoming more popular. In some places like China the majority of meals are probably being delivered. Yet there is no evidence for your assertion that it's a meaningful transmission vector. I don't think any experience from a cruise ship can be assumed to apply to a city, there are too many differences in conditions (both living and working).
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
On the upside, the US might learn how to make a virus test kit in bulk that works.
notquiteaff and largeeyes like this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:03 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Hey everyone. So, this is going to sound extremely naive, and for reference, I am in New Zealand, one of the last countries to feel the full effects of it. But I really want some input here, I know I'm wrong, I just want to be told why I'm wrong.

From my perspective, I look at China, and they now have less than 20 cases a day. Their life is returning to normal. Schools are even reopening: https://www.inkstonenews.com/society...rticle/3075518

They locked down cities for 2 months, and it looks like the virus went away. Even in Italy, they had their lowest percentage increase today. South Korea massively stopped it. Singapore massively stopped it.

It seems that if cities/countries lock down temporarily, that is essentially kills the virus. Isn't that the solution? If we all did that: wouldn't the world be back to normal in 2-3 months?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.