Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

•Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

•While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, don’t call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

•After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

•Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by stimpy
This is where we differ fundamentally. Humans need both health and prosperity. Not one or the other. Equally.
Indeed.

The economy/money has to be a consideration, for the ability to sustain and develops better health care delivery and results over time is not independent of economic factors/constraints.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
This is where we differ fundamentally. Humans need both health and prosperity. Not one or the other. Equally.

Its not equal. And it isn’t health it’s death. And apparently some people think the economy will be fine if we don’t do enough and millions die. Or maybe they don’t care because they’re just old people mostly anyway. The longer we wait the more people die and the worse the economy suffers for longer.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:58 pm

This is what I'm talking about. I think this kind of statement is just as negligent as someone who walks around in public with virus symptoms. The responsible experts are saying that we could be out of the woods by May or June in the US, judging by what is happening in China right now. We in the US can survive economically under this shutdown for a couple of months, but we should soon be preaching about going back to business as usual. And we should be conscious about the damage we are doing to the poor and middle class, JUST AS MUCH as we care about the health of our elderly.
It isn’t negligent. It’s a statement of fact. This will have a huge hit on the economy. And the longer we wait the worse it will be.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Indeed.

The economy/money has to be a consideration, for the ability to sustain and develops better health care delivery and results over time is not independent of economic factors/constraints.
Indeed x 2. Whilst the Medical aspects are massively significant, the Economic aftermath worries me greatly. And healthcare can only come froma vibrant economy ... not one that has seen innumerable small businesses (and indeed some large ones) go to the wall in this situation.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Indeed.

Originally Posted by T8191
Indeed x 2. Whilst the Medical aspects are massively significant, the Economic aftermath worries me greatly. And healthcare can only come froma vibrant economy ... not one that has seen innumerable small businesses (and indeed some large ones) go to the wall in this situation.

I don’t disagree. But we’re past being able to even chose. We needed to act months ago to limit both deaths and economic damage. We can’t do either now. It’s inevitable that we are going to get slammed.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Mar 17, 2020 at 3:21 pm
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Its not equal. And it isn’t health it’s death. And apparently some people think the economy will be fine if we don’t do enough and millions die. Or maybe they don’t care because they’re just old people mostly anyway. The longer we wait the more people die and the worse the economy suffers for longer.
Health/healthcare outcomes include death in the consideration. And whether we like it or not, making decisions about health care and measuring health care outcomes does have money as a consideration among other things also considered.

Delayed action and other related blundering is costly indeed, but it doesn’t mean that actions now and from this point forward shouldn’t consider economic well-being too. A health care system deprived of too much money is arguably even worse than a health care system that costs too much money. And we have a system that is sort of both bad things at once.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 17, 2020 at 3:29 pm
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:31 pm

Is there any data on the case fatality rate distribution by age in South Korea?

South Korea is probably the only country with both a large sample size and almost no undetected cases (because otherwise, they would infect others and the virus would continue to spread). So its CFR numbers would probably reflect true fatality rates.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Of course not! The vast majority of people infected can take care of themselves at home, ideally in isolation. No need to overwhelm the system. I think it is a good thing that most people are no longer paying attention to the doomsayers.
Yes, many can take care of themselves. The hurdle is that we need to determine who is infected and we have yet to implement that process. We are late. The illness can start out with mild symptoms and then quickly, within hours take a turn for the worse. It is patient specific and many people are incapable of diagnosing that themselves. This is where the medical system has a role.

Unfortunately, that is not the sole issue. We have people who still do not get it, especially younger people who are not changing their behavior patterns, still congregating, partying etc. We have international travelers who chose not to self isolate. There are infected people who just don't care. There is one selfish fellow in kentucky who requires deputies guard his home 24/7. We have an ignorant congressman and a state governor who celebrated their stupidity by telling people to go out and circulate. When people do not listen to reason or exercise common sense, others will be more vociferous and be called doomsayers.

This is what I'm talking about. I think this kind of statement is just as negligent as someone who walks around in public with virus symptoms. The responsible experts are saying that we could be out of the woods by May or June in the US, judging by what is happening in China right now. We in the US can survive economically under this shutdown for a couple of months, but we should soon be preaching about going back to business as usual. And we should be conscious about the damage we are doing to the poor and middle class, JUST AS MUCH as we care about the health of our elderly.
I am unaware of any competent experienced epidemiologist who said that we would be out of this by May or June. We had people who had no field experience in a recent severe epidemic and who were restricted to academia offering their limited perceptions. It became obvious that we were in deep dung when the diagnostic tests were not made available in a timely manner. The folks who had stop-ped the last SARS pandemic, who had dealt with Ebola were very clear with what we were facing. they were called negative and ignored.
China is having results because of voluntary compliance and more importantly draconian intervention including physical detainment. This is not possible in countries like the USA. In a country where people are armed to the teeth and where conspiracy nonsense abounds, it is next to impossible to enforce compliance.

You claim we are inundated with doomsayers. Those doomsayers were necessary because the powers that be dragged their feet. We are in the dire position we are in now because we lost weeks to prepare. Too many young people and others will not listen to requests to act in a responsible manner. People who are telling things as they are are accused of being doomsayers.
Well here is the reality from Spain, Italy and France that likely awaits the USA (and Canada) unless the people and their governments wake up and act responsibly;
- Young people are on respirators in Italy. They range in age from 30 to 40. Younger people who have chronic diseases are in hospital.
- Children are infected. While not dying, their lungs are being damaged such that they will be vulnerable to other illnesses over time. This is not a new side effect and is common with other respiratory illnesses.
- Productive elderly people who's sole criteria for being denied respirator access is their age.
- Patients are left sitting in their waste because there is no one to care for them.
- Health care workers are mentally and physically exhausted. There is just so much a human can take before cracking.
- Regular working people are stressed out and cannot function normally.

This is what awaits us unless we listen to those doomsayers.
nk15 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I am unaware of any competent experienced epidemiologist who said that we would be out of this by May or June.
You've not heard of Anthony Fauci? He said we could be out of this in 45 days.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:48 pm

Well yeah.

UK health experts say that global lockdowns (social distancing, curfews, travel bans) could last for the next 12-18 months. It's been all over the news in Europe today.

And again, try to fathom: No more flying for at least 1 year, not even some domestic traveling (some German states have already begun to prohibit hotel stays for tourists, regardless of nationality.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
You talk of financial costs. Consider the costs of caring for these patients. If elderly, many will be medicare/medicaid costs. Others may fall under retirement plan healthcare benefits. Who will pay for that? Many of these people will have family, family who will have to take time off to care or to worry about these patients.
It therefore becomes a cost benefit exercise: A few short months of slowdown to save millions of people and billions of dollars in costs, a slowdown that will be compensated for when the situation calms and activity resumes.
What costs? If he gets his way they die at home with nothing but family care because there isn't any other care to be had.

His approach is the cheapest in financial terms, but megadeaths don't sit well with those of us who actually care about people.
karenkay and notquiteaff like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
link?

all I can find is statements from the weekend where he talked about a couple of months and then today

https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/fauci-...ak-in-45-days/

The coronavirus outbreak in the US is likely to get worse over the next month — and could possibly hit its peak in 45 days, according to a top doctor on the White House coronavirus task force.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, who is the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, suggested Tuesday that the worst of the country’s COVID-19 outbreak could occur around May 1, CNN reported.

“It’s possible,” Fauci said at a press conference, adding that “45 days is not unreasonable.”

But Fauci was reluctant to commit to a date, saying that “you have to be careful” giving out a number.

“When you get a number, you own the number,” he said. “If the number does not come out then you are in trouble.”

His comments come in response to New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s prediction that the outbreak would peak in the state in the same period of time.
That (a) doesn’t strike as an estimate that he has developed by himself or really believes in and (b) “worst of the outbreak in 45 days” is to me not the same as “we could be out of this in 45 days”.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
It is one sentence. How can you misinterpret it? Go back and read it again.

Actually the post I quoted had pretty bad grammar, so I will rewrite here. Should infected people be treated by the healthcare system? The answer is no. The should only be treated by the healthcare system if they have severe symptoms that they cannot survive on their own. Many infected have only slight symptoms and can just wait it out at home.
So you really thought the question was about actively treating infected people who are either asymptomatic or with mild symptoms (beyond sending home with instructions and perhaps some drugs) ? Putting them in precious hospital beds? ICUs even?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wish the USA good luck in funding a massive cost of a putative National Health Service, which continues to cripple UK Budgets. It’s a bottomless pit of funding requirements.

Not suggesting that’s your plan, but I beg you don’t go there!
total healthcare spend per capita per OECD

US: $10,586.08. (highest in the world)
UK: $4,069.57

https://data.oecd.org/healthres/health-spending.htm

Private or Public money? Universal care? I’m curious!
Does it matter if I write a big check to my insurance company every day (private) or pay for it via taxes? Results and efficiency is what I care about (but let’s not turn this into a universal healthcare debate; if I/you can’t sleep tonight, I/you can read this)

The big concern with the U.K. NHS is actually that it has been underfunded for years... just in time for what’s to come. Of course, it is also true that no healthcare system is designed and likely scalable for what’s to come.
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nk15
This is bad news, if infectivity remains on plastic for 3 days that means any groceries packaged in plastic containers and carried in plastic bags need to be sprayed/wiped down thoroughly and/or quarantined.

The implications for aerosol infections are more troubling, for example an infected person coughs/sneezes/talks in an enclosed area (apartment building, store), I am not sure for how long the air would be considered "contaminated" and in what distances. Trueblu or anyone has answers to these?
Also,Take Away, Door Dash, or the like, will be in bags/boxes/containers almost guaranteed to have live virus if exposed. Perhaps fixing ones own food is the way to go for now. I don't see anyway to sanitize packaging that has been handled by others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.