Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

•Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

•While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, don’t call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

•After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

•Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
If people ignore that many people will die. Do you just not get it? Or do you not care if a lot of older, sicker people die? I'm trying to understand. The numbers were clear a month ago. Italy was clear weeks ago. I'm not following.
OK, you think I don't get it and I know that you don't get it. Let's move on.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by stimpy
Of course not! The vast majority of people infected can take care of themselves at home, ideally in isolation. No need to overwhelm the system.
Are you deliberately misinterpreting the question?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Are you deliberately misinterpreting the question?
It is one sentence. How can you misinterpret it? Go back and read it again.

Actually the post I quoted had pretty bad grammar, so I will rewrite here. Should infected people be treated by the healthcare system? The answer is no. The should only be treated by the healthcare system if they have severe symptoms that they cannot survive on their own. Many infected have only slight symptoms and can just wait it out at home.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Of course not! The vast majority of people infected can take care of themselves at home, ideally in isolation. No need to overwhelm the system.

I think it is a good thing that most people are no longer paying attention to the doomsayers.

I'm of course specifically referring to the bolded statement. Do you not believe that many people will die? Do you not believe the hospital systems will collapse from this? If so what do you think is wrong with the estimates. Or do you not care because they will be mainly older and sicker people. It seems it has to be one of the two options. I'm trying to understand which
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
Is anyone here still planning unnecessary travel (to a place further than easy driving distance from home) for the next 3 months or so?

I have 4 trips booked, all from US to the EU. Booked them all last year, like October or earlier. Maybe some in November.

First one is mid April but with closure of Schengen, that's gone. Next one is late May.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I'm of course specifically referring to the bolded statement. Do you not believe that many people will die? Do you not believe the hospital systems will collapse from this? If so what do you think is wrong with the estimates. Or do you not care because they will be mainly older and sicker people. It seems it has to be one of the two options. I'm trying to understand which
No doubt that IF mitigation methods end up at least reasonably successful the same people are going to come out and claim "See? I told you all it wasn't bad!" as if that wasn't the exact POINT of those measures.
GadgetFreak and notquiteaff like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by invisible
One takeover from this situation will be that once this is over, we will never look at healthcare as an industry and profession the same way as it was before.

I expect there will be wide ranged discussion in the society what is healthcare for society and for an individual and what kind of obligation the healthcare system has toward an individual and visa versa.

P.S. Absolutely not joking - if any of you have connection to policymakers, tell them that they need to establish a special award or set of awards now which should go to individuals and businesses for their outstanding dedication to bring this pandemic under control. And people given such award need to be treated like national heroes. No more, no less.
I wish the USA good luck in funding a massive cost of a putative National Health Service, which continues to cripple UK Budgets. It’s a bottomless pit of funding requirements.

Not suggesting that’s your plan, but I beg you don’t go there!
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by T8191
I wish the USA good luck in funding a massive cost of a putative National Health Service, which continues to cripple UK Budgets. It’s a bottomless pit of funding requirements.

Not suggesting that’s your plan, but I beg you don’t go there!
the US already spends more than the UK per patient. They'd SAVE money by going to universal healthcare.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thing is going to destroy the economy one way or the other.
This is what I'm talking about. I think this kind of statement is just as negligent as someone who walks around in public with virus symptoms. The responsible experts are saying that we could be out of the woods by May or June in the US, judging by what is happening in China right now. We in the US can survive economically under this shutdown for a couple of months, but we should soon be preaching about going back to business as usual. And we should be conscious about the damage we are doing to the poor and middle class, JUST AS MUCH as we care about the health of our elderly.
JNelson113 and Badenoch like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:40 pm

Has this COVID-19 situation caused airport lounges to close? data points?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smiley90
the US already spends more than the UK per patient. They'd SAVE money by going to universal healthcare.
Private or Public money? Universal care? I’m curious!
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
It’s a good point, but isn’t someone in that age group who smokes or vapes likely feeling invincible anyway and thus not easily convinced that healthcare warnings apply to them?

I also don’t know that that age group is likely to watch CBS Evening News...
The young are invincible and staggeringly ignorant. Society will slowly redeem that eventually, one way or another.

Walking blindly across the road thumbing their phones? 🤪

But what do I know? I’m a geriatric, apparently. 75-yo, smoking for 60 of those, and (until now) travelling 50k-60k miles a year around the globe.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
This is what I'm talking about. I think this kind of statement is just as negligent as someone who walks around in public with virus symptoms. The responsible experts are saying that we could be out of the woods by May or June in the US, judging by what is happening in China right now. We in the US can survive economically under this shutdown for a couple of months, but we should soon be preaching about going back to business as usual. And we should be conscious about the damage we are doing to the poor and middle class, JUST AS MUCH as we care about the health of our elderly.

That wasn't what the response was to. No one has said otherwise. But your post implied that we are over reacting to this. And we should not be a concerned about the economy as we are human life, We are under reacting, or at least have been for weeks. The earlier and stronger we react the less it will ultimately cost. And China's economy has taken a huge hit from this. Something like a 20% decrease. Ours will be worse because we waited.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And we should not be a concerned about the economy as we are human life,
This is where we differ fundamentally. Humans need both health and prosperity. Not one or the other. Equally.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Italy is adding 350 deaths/day and is on track to surpass China's deaths in two days. I am wandering if all these people dying in hospitals or at home, not even making to the hospital.

The running death total of all closed cases worldwide on the worldometer has jumped from 6 to 9%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.