Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

•Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

•While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, don’t call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

•After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

•Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by stimpy
Fauci gave a pretty good interview on GMA yesterday which perfectly well backs up my argument. I will trust his expert opinion all day above the opposite opinions on this thread.

If you have Hulu, you can go back and watch his interview.

Don’t have Hulu. But I have yet another link for you where Fauci is quoted as saying 45 days as peak is reasonable.

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-n...c3ff809d5d8bf3

Top US infectious disease doctor Anthony Fauci said at a news conference "it's possible" the country could see a peak in the number of cases in 45 days, around May 1.

"45 days is not unreasonable," Fauci said.

Fauci also added that officials talk more about a range than a specific date: "You have to be careful. When you get a number, you own the number. If the number does not come out then you are in trouble."

What's this about: Earlier today, Gov. Andrew Cuomo of New York said that he expects the peak to be in around 45 days, based on information he has received from experts. Cuomo said at that point the state will need as many as 110,000 hospital beds.
That was, I believe, later than any possible GMA interview yesterday. So I assume you are going to trust “his expert opinion” that 45 days until peak is a reasonable (gu)estimate ... right?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Well I would say that your comments and others who predict long term doomsday scenarios and financial collapse are self-serving, biased, HIGHLY DANGEROUS and not remotely close to the truth as we know it today. It is VERY important that people can hear different opinions and make their own decisions.

However one problem is clear in that many Americans are not doing much in the way of physical separation. I saw something stunning on the upper west side of Manhattan today. I walked by Trader Joes, which is an upscale trendy grocery store. There was a bouncer out front and a huge line of more than 50 people waiting to get in. I guess the bouncer was allowing only a dozen or so customers inside at a time. However those 50 people outside in line, were not at all separated. They queued up just like always, just inches from each other. And what really makes you wonder, there is another perfectly fine grocery store, D'Agostino's, a block away with nobody waiting in line. But it is not trendy. If that kind of behavior continues, I would suppose the number of cases will increase quite a bit in the short term.
[Unduly personalized content edited per FlyerTalk Rule 12.]

No one wants to see "financial doomsday". I know I would suffer as would my family, friends etc. Unfortunately, too many have been downplaying the seriousness of this infection. It will take weeks if not months until we can effectively flatten the wave. What we do today will start to be seen in 2-3 weeks. it's not too late to take action now, but if we wait we will end up with an Italian or Iranian experience.

Ok, there was an issue at Trader Joes. Did you go into D'Agostino's to see if they had anything. Many stores have had shelves stripped clean.

Here is his specific statement https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/fauci-...ak-in-45-days/
And again, the subject was PEAK. Peak does not mean we are"out of it".
HKTraveler, notquiteaff and ajGoes like this.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 18, 2020 at 9:08 pm Reason: See note above.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
I am predicting/hoping that the warm & humid climate isn't favourable to it, and that its spread won't be as explosive as in colder, dryer conditions.
It appears to be spreading in Malaysia with the same speed as in Europe (by 23% per day), and that's quite hot and humid.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by wco81
US funds a lot of medical research, through the NIH. And big pharma have used it to develop medications.

But who knows what Trump has been doing to NIH and other research grant budgets.
That's my point though, as neither of those two things have to do with Insurance industry profits.
ezefllying likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
It appears to be spreading in Malaysia with the same speed as in Europe (by 23% per day), and that's quite hot and humid.
Sort of. Malaysia has about 675 confirmed cases....2/3 of those were from a single four day religious event at a mosque, attended by 16,000 people.

Prior to that event, Malaysia had relatively low numbers of confirmed cases (for whatever reason.)

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/regi...vid-19-hotspot
cockpitvisit and narvik like this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
How about staying on point. You made a false claim, you were caught and the misrepresentation corrected. Now you return with an attempt to distract. Why not take responsibility for your misrepresentation?
Nope. Try again. You must really be afraid of being wrong to not even try to type "fauci gma" into your google search bar. If you did that, you'd be able to hear the man's voice himself saying this could be over within several weeks. Or it could be a few months. Not the nonsense spouted by some in this thread that it shall be more than one year. And if you listen, the question was "when will life get back to normal?"

Ok, there was an issue at Trader Joes. Did you go into D'Agostino's to see if they had anything. Many stores have had shelves stripped clean.
Yes I did. That is where I normally shop when in NYC and the aisles are not "stripped clean"
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Nope. Try again. You must really be afraid of being wrong to not even try to type "fauci gma" into your google search bar. If you did that, you'd be able to hear the man's voice himself saying this could be over within several weeks. Or it could be a few months. Not the nonsense spouted by some in this thread that it shall be more than one year. And if you listen, the question was "when will life get back to normal?"

Yes I did. That is where I normally shop when in NYC and the aisles are not "stripped clean"

Well, I did that search. And I heard Fauci say it’s impossible to know how long we need to be shut down like this and it could be a few weeks or 8 weeks or longer.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by radonc1
As someone who has been involved in clinical research over the past 3 decades, I can tell you that there is no way anyone is going to bypass phase I studies on a vaccine. The government has laws in regards to this and IRBs (both local and national) will not permit it.
This is not as tragic as it appears. Running a successful phase one trial will take only a few months at worst. The biggest issue on any trial is patient accrual and that definitely will not be an issue in this case. Other than that, I suspect that these trials will look only for short term side effects prior to advancing to phase 2 and 3 trials (The long term adverse side effects will be looked for but will not delay further testing of the drug)

No matter what, these trials will be done at record speeds, to say the least.
I realize that, under even halfway-normal circumstances, skipping Phase I -- or, to the extent logical, running multiple phases simultaneously -- would be out of the question. But I'm wondering if, under what constitutes an existential economic threat, if not a physical one, the federal government would not reluctantly waive certain testing laws and overrule IRB objections in the interest of national security. Basically, the cost-benefit calculus may be that the safety or even lives of a couple thousand volunteers are less vital than speeding the vaccination process by months. Particularly because locking down the economy, and the populace, for even "a few months" may prove untenable.

One macabre thought: If those at greatest risk of death from covid-19 are the elderly, it might make sense to focus on shortcutting a vaccine targeted to them. That could allow otherwise unacceptably rushed testing on older volunteer groups while taking things a little slower when investigating the vaccine's suitability on younger populations. My understanding -- correct me if I'm wrong, because I am in no way an expert of vaccinations -- is that a substantial concern with vaccines is their potential to cause injury many years or decades after inoculation, particularly with respect to birth defects. But 70-90-year-old patients are naturally less susceptible to such long-term and birth-related effects, for obvious reasons. I think many older Americans would be willing to take a vaccine with potential consequences decades down the road in exchange for immediate immunity.

Ideally, harsh U.S. shelter-in-place and lockdown measures can help us claw our way out of the exponential-transmission situation we're in and get us back toward a South Korea-type state of affairs. The American public can probably tolerate that sort of social distancing for a while. And, hopefully, antivirals change the game entirely.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
France is doing that now... (not with grounded civilian jets, but basically same thing)

https://twitter.com/thatjohn/status/...747321856?s=21

Also finally happening, it seems. I should be running emergency ops - why did it take so long?
I suspect the ships are not kept "ready to go at a moment's notice" like SSBNs. Large specialized ships usually have sustainment and crewing schedules. It can take a week or two to ready them for sailing if the mission was unplanned. Provisions and supplies need to be reloaded, crew have to be recalled, the master usually likes to have departure orders in hand, etc. At least these didn't have to be prepped for self-defense.

I don't know how these ships are scheduled and budgeted but I'm willing to bet they aren't kept in Fully Mission Capable 24/7/365.

Keeping an operational ship ready is expensive -- hard to do the way operations budges were trimmed during the previous administration and has to be balanced with all other warfighting priorities even with this administration.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Ok, I did google it. I didn’t find a GMA interview that Fauci gave yesterday (3/17). I did find one from 3/13, though. Is that what you meant when you said “Fauci gave a pretty good interview on GMA yesterday which perfectly well backs up my argument”?

In it he does say at the very end “a few weeks up to eight weeks”.

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/n...virus-69576881

But I have given you two source confirming that four days later he said 45 days until peak is a reasonable estimate.

I believe there are two ways to interpret Fauci’s two different estimates:

1. His estimates have evolved from “it’s over in a few weeks to two months” to “we’ might see the peak in 45 day” as four days have passed.

2. He simply isn’t sure how to properly estimate it given the current available data (or lack thereof, due to minimal testing in US). You will notice that he always cautions that he doesn’t really want to give a number.

Choose whichever you want, but picking his older statement and dismissing the newer one and at the same time citing him as your expert witness doesn’t make your arguments credible to me.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:43 pm

It's been a week and I have no symptoms, but who knows?
Incubation supposedly two weeks but HK has cases where it is up to 21 days
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I suspect the ships are not kept "ready to go at a moment's notice" like SSBNs.
Right, (in theory) five days according to Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USNS_Mercy_(T-AH-19)

We have been tracking this infection wave for weeks. If you have toys, use them! As far as I can tell, no one in the administration even talked about the ships when I first raised the issue. I will fully admit that I am not a navy expert, but we are spending a ton of dollars on building and maintaining these ships - the activation of the ships, like many other measures, seems to be coming very late for no obvious reason.

Comfort is actually not ready to go in five days because they are finishing up maintenance... New York will have to wait longer.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...-harbor-135732

The Navy is getting ships crewed and ready to launch, defense officials said. Mercy should be underway in days, but Comfort could take two weeks to deploy because it is still finishing up maintenance, according to chief Pentagon spokesperson Jonathan Hoffman.”

I suppose one challenge is staffing.

https://news.usni.org/2020/03/17/pen...virus-response

Each ship has a 1,000-bed capacity and is manned by military medical personnel, requiring about a week or more to mobilize those personnel from across the active duty and reserve forces. Pentagon officials have stressed that many of the reserve medical personnel that would be called up to staff mobile hospitals or Mercy and Comfort would be partially pulled from civilian medical facilities.“The big challenge isn’t the availability of these inventories, it’s the medical professionals. All of those doctors and nurses either come from our medical treatment facilities or they come from the reserves, which means civilians,” Esper said.
“What I don’t want to do is take reservists from a hospital where they are needed just to put them on a ship to take them somewhere else where they’re needed.”

Last edited by notquiteaff; Mar 18, 2020 at 9:53 pm
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is anyone aware of a tracking site that shows active cases that require hospitalization and/or ICU? Preferably by state or even more granular (county)

E.g., I know from https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/co...positive-cases that there are 1339 positive (not necessarily active) cases in NYC, but it would be useful to know how much of a burden they represent for the NYC hospitals.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:08 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Contradictions of NYC “lockdown”

So in NYC, here is the situation as I see it

1) Essential employees are still at work - this includes MTA, healthcare, grocery workers, bank workers, and Amazon delivery people - this seems hundreds of thousands of people in the aggregate
2) Restaurants that offer takeout/delivery are still open - and are now able to sell alcohol - so these folks all need to be at work
3) Many pharmacies, bodegas and grocery stores are crowded when you walk into them
4) Various service stores like wine and liquor stores, dry cleaners, nail salons are open
5) No one has a car, so MTA, Uber and Lyft must remain available
6) There are a seeming million dogs, so people have to walk their dog
7) People are jogging for exercise
8) School kids are everywhere

This doesn’t seem like any thought ouT measure of social distancing, but there is no way to really lock it down further given the layout and demographics of the city - you have to keep grocery, MTA and other things open
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:10 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Incubation supposedly two weeks but HK has cases where it is up to 21 days
Another issue is that there is a big percentage of cases that are asymptomatic all the way through

Last edited by Adelphos; Mar 18, 2020 at 11:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.