Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

•Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

•While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, don’t call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

•After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

•Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by invisible
here is your answer, from Japan forum, posted two weeks ago:
So LA county's decision to not test unless a positive result will change treatment isn't a new idea?
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
DL just did this on my brothers flight in FC earlier this week....they had the space though and had everyone one row apart.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
So LA county's decision to not test unless a positive result will change treatment isn't a new idea?
in LA if you do not have a fever they will not test you....... at least that was last week for my friend.....

Stay safe
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
There's no reason the airlines need to fill middle seats and most flights you could have a person per side of each row. However, people need to determine their own level of risk. BTW if you become infected and you are healthy the odds are very, very high you're aren't going to die. Any at risk people that choose to fly are in the camp of those that speed and don't wear a seat belt.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by LonghornDXB
And also people from blockaded areas seem to be very angry, judging by social media comments, when seeing people in the UK and Germany walking about, its kind of "when we are locked down, how dare those people not suffer like us"
Because Politicians are hedging their bets.

This isn't to diminish the value of life, but I'm quite familiar with the concept of exponential growth projections, since my business has been the product of that phenomenon. I also realize when sacrificing for the unknown based on future projections will always be, at best, an uncertain endeavor for anyone ain't name Nostradamus.

There are several scenarios that will play out now. In CA, the shelter in place will be effective in flattening the curve, which shouldn't be confused with decreasing infections or directly attributable mortality, but merely stringing it out. The cost/price/sacrifice will be several trillions of dollars.

Some outcomes:

1. The measures prove ineffective and the bottleneck occurs regardless. If this is the case, what was the point of murdering the economy when it was all futile anyway? To make us feel better? Grandiose virtual signaling? What?

2. The measures prove effective, and we "flatten the curve" and reopen the economy. Infections will still occur, but at a measured and controlled rate. Now, if this doesn't happen to Japan, South Korea and/or Singapore, why did we have to resort to such draconian measures when those respective countries hadn't? Out of fear? Out of making us feel as if we're doing something?

In either case, our Politicians had better be right. It's not fair, I know, but they wanted the job. Is there evidence to believe these extreme measures are an improvement over vigorous mitigation--using masks, social distancing, self quarantine, high risk demographics remain isolated? I'm not unfamiliar with the concept of sacrificing for the unknown based on uncertain projections, but I have NEVER placed a degree of certitude on one over another.

We're, in the USA, going to flush down the toilet of a month of GDP and pay the self inflicted wound of several trillions of dollars. [OMNI/PR content edited by Moderator.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 21, 2020 at 12:38 pm Reason: Off-topic for this forum.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Visconti

Is there evidence to believe these extreme measures are an improvement over vigorous mitigation--using masks, social distancing, self quarantine, high risk demographics remain isolated?
Did you notice that we don’t even have enough masks for medical staff? People are being asked to donate what they have to hospitals and get their sewing machines out to assemble PPE supplies...

Did you notice that in CA and elsewhere (FL beaches, NoLa, ...) calls to implement social distancing were ignored by many?

Bars and restaurants were shut down because people were still gathering there. People who “know better”. If they had followed social distancing, the bars and restaurants would have been shut down for lack of customers.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Did you notice that we don’t even have enough masks for medical staff? People are being asked to donate what they have to hospitals and get their sewing machines out to assemble PPE supplies...
I don't know. Maybe produce more in January? If I, you're regular run of the mill American without any special insights, knew enough to order masks, wouldn't the CDC? Maybe, after this, our CDC should marshal resources to focus on this rather than some of the other things they're working on.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Did you notice that in CA and elsewhere (FL beaches, NoLa, ...) calls to implement social distancing were ignored by many? Bars and restaurants were shut down because people were still gathering there. People who “know better”. If they had followed social distancing, the bars and restaurants would have been shut down for lack of customers.
Shame them. Criticize them. Call them all sorts of names that FT would scrub within a nano second. But, to exercise emergency powers over a pathogen with a mortality rate that is likely far below 1%? What happens during the next one? What if we have a killer virus that kills 15%? Restaurants should be free to run their business as they deem fitting including but not limited to limiting to one person per table.

PS - We have only a few shots left in the chamber, and we've blown it on an event that has a mortality rate that is likely below 1%.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:45 am
Suspended

U.S. to Ramp Up Mask Production, But China Is Bottleneck for Raw Materials

https://globalbiodefense.com/headlin...raw-materials/

Sharp will use a TV factory to mass-produce face masks

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/1/21...ory-production
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
However, people need to determine their own level of risk. BTW if you become infected and you are healthy the odds are very, very high you're aren't going to die.
But if they become infected, they put other people at risk too. That's the flaw in that argument.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
For those of you saying, “Why can’t we be Korea”, we had the opportunity. Except one country decides to bunker down and prepare. The other spent weeks calling it a hoax.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2153BW

South Korea’s swift action stands in stark contrast to what has transpired in the United States...

The United States, whose first case was detected the same day as South Korea’s, is not even close to meeting demand for testing. About 60,000 tests have been run by public and private labs in a country of 330 million
Granted this was a couple days ago but point remains. I was in Korea shortly after Lunar New Year. Everyone was taking it seriously. You were screened twice for health reasons at the airport. Everyone was wearing a mask walking around town. Restaurants sprayed your hands with alcohol cleaner before coming in.

Meanwhile, people in the US are STILL not taking it seriously. Hell, I nearly blew my brother’s ear off when I found out he decided to go cliff diving at sunset cliffs, two days ago.

You cannot bake your cake and eat it too. Both the US Govt and the American people are paying for our collective inaction
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by LAXlocal
in LA if you do not have a fever they will not test you....... at least that was last week for my friend.....

Stay safe
It makes my response to an LA area customer really easy.
Don't call me when the lights go out.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those who are doctors...I heard that if you have no symptoms, the swabs are not likely to pick up any virus anyway. Therefore, there is no point testing these people with no symptoms at all as they will most likely come back negative. How true is that?

Thanks.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:20 am

Apparently, masks, and other related supplies, were under [Moderator edit: U.S.] tariff regime (15% and then 7.5%) until the government decided to grant exclusions sometime around the beginning of March.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN20T2ON
FAA1996 likes this.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 21, 2020 at 12:41 pm Reason: To edit OMNI/PR comment.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlitBen
UPenn's APPC is a 'MAGA' site now? I daresay you overestimate their institutional biases.

Don't take my word for it, get yourself informed:
I used to consider them neutral, but too often I have been catching them taking official statements as proven truth.

Of course. Read the reports as to why.
Which doesn't change the fact that the reality on the ground doesn't agree with their "facts".
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:25 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
But if they become infected, they put other people at risk too. That's the flaw in that argument.
Not in the land of the “me-ism”
SJOGuy, FAA1996 and dunno282 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.