Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

•Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

•While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, don’t call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

•After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

•Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
You would be surprised to know where I have been. And I have memory not clouded by re-writes. Any chance that you remember Tiananmen square? I was in Hong Kong at the time and didn't hear a thing until I saw a newspaper in Singapore two weeks later.
Huh? Are you sure? Did you read any newspaper or watch any TV in HK on 6/5/1989? Here is a BBC article in Chinese about what was going on in HK at that time: https://www.bbc.com/zhongwen/trad/chinese-news-40141815

Tiananmen Square = 6/4/1989. Hong Kong returning to Chinese Rule = 7/1/1997.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:26 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I genuinely don't even want to THINK about what trouble we're in if any of

-mutations to make the virus more deadly/infectious-mutations to make the virus escape acquired immunity
-mutations to make the virus escape vaccine development

Is true.
narvik likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Fizzer
They will have to stay closed for a very long time though until the rest of the world deals with this. The leaked UK report suggest the Spring or Summer of 2021.
A good read, but this battle will be like the flu, for a longtime as COVID19 is already mutating.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-be9337092b56
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:49 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Finally some people are trying to get the statistics right and use the data on asymptomatic cases and extrapolate it.
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...hip-death-rate
Precious little data on cohorts where everyone is tested and multiple times.

So around 3-4x worse than seasonal flu in the end. And if you catch it, even a small dose, then you will be immune, and possibly never know it.

Luckily the Netherlands is trying to find out how many of those there are: https://nltimes.nl/2020/03/19/blood-...erlands-report

A 2-week pause in transmission rate makes sense. Even a virus that is not nearly as deadly as we think (and I am almost certain of that) is still bad news if we all get it at the same time.

Next phase after 2-3 week pause is to resume normal activity with social distancing and handwashing while keeping high risk individuals home until proven treatments are available. This more distant mingling of people compared to "normal" behavior will be more efficient at creating some herd immunity and still result in fewer cases needing hospitalization that the preceeding two weeks.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by chipmaster
A good read, but this battle will be like the flu, for a longtime as COVID19 is already mutating.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-be9337092b56
In general, coronavirus mutations make it less virulent, not more. We still need to study this one, but mutations is not really a concern over the next couple of months.

This article really hits it's stride at the very end. Chart 15 and onward. I hope most people have the stamina to get that far because he is dead on right.
Shut it down 3 weeks, but slightly longer in high risk areas, and then open back up.
What nobody can estimate is how much the behavior of society will change after things "open up" again. The pundits have underestimated that in my opinion so the downslope will be better than estimated.

Also advising high risk people to follow "the hammer" for longer will also help the downslope.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
Finally some people are trying to get the statistics right and use the data on asymptomatic cases and extrapolate it.
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...hip-death-rate
Precious little data on cohorts where everyone is tested and multiple times.

So around 3-4x worse than seasonal flu in the end. And if you catch it, even a small dose, then you will be immune, and possibly never know it.

Luckily the Netherlands is trying to find out how many of those there are: https://nltimes.nl/2020/03/19/blood-...erlands-report

A 2-week pause in transmission rate makes sense. Even a virus that is not nearly as deadly as we think (and I am almost certain of that) is still bad news if we all get it at the same time.

Next phase after 2-3 week pause is to resume normal activity with social distancing and handwashing while keeping high risk individuals home until proven treatments are available. This more distant mingling of people compared to "normal" behavior will be more efficient at creating some herd immunity and still result in fewer cases needing hospitalization that the preceeding two weeks.
"As of February 20, tests of most of the 3,711 people aboard the DiamondPrincess confirmed that 634, or 17 percent, had the virus; 328 of them did not have symptoms at the time of diagnosis. Of those with symptoms, the fatality ratio was 1.9 percent, Russell and colleagues calculate. Of all infected, that ratio was 0.91 percent. Those 70 and older were most vulnerable, with an overall fatality ratio of about 7.3 percent"

One given how they locked down and how people interacted and when the "first" transmitter was on very hard to establish the Ro, or please point me to the document where they were able to get an Ro
Second they locked down and continued to see cases grow, not clear how many were already infected and just developed symptoms then. Again back to the Ro and average latency.

Lastly the fatality is very misleading is there anywhere that is tracking how many actually have died since leaving the ship and returning home. Most countries and new/research is now focused on new cases/test/deaths locally.

Another critical miss in this analysis and miss interpreted by many, the Princess folks don't represent a good estimate as the real death rate will be impacted by the availability of ICU, and they had the best, the issue will be in places like Italy and US and other countries where there won't be enough ICUs to support those in need. Thus the actual mortality rate versus the can't help mortality rate are materially different and US and Italy as did WuHan couldn't support the ICUs needed to keep / hold mortality rate down as many they could save they simply had to choose who will live and who will die.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:10 pm

But how many in Wuhan who were mildly ill or asymptomatic would have avoided that overloaded healthcare system and never got tested at all?
That robs the denonimator of a bunch of cases in an area where this went unchecked and undiscovered for weeks.

Therefore we need to ANTIBODY TEST a cohort of 10,000 non-cases in Wuhan to see how many have antibodies.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Visconti
Consider the following:

2004 - SARS
2008 - Avian
2010 - Swine
2012 - Mers
2014 - Ebola
2016 - Zika
2018 - Ebola
2020 - Now, Corona

In addition to all of the above, I can't even recount all the other "dire" needs we were briefed on. Perhaps, the Coronavirus is different? Even then, I just don't feel the sense of fear and urgency, because, as they say, I've been around the block so many times. While anything is possible and this "may" prove as or more catastrophic than the Experts are predicting, my experience has been that "this time it's different" are the four most expensive words in history.
I was in SE Asia when the first cases started and I saw some of the initial reports in January and knew right away that this would be the killer pandemic we were warned about. It demonstrated all of the characteristics we had been warned about years ago. And then we have the OP and mindset. One of the reasons why this crisis is out of hand is because people like the OP hesitated and did not take this seriously. We have the extreme of idiots partying in the UK and on the beaches of Florida, and in the beer bars of Thailand. And then we have the responsible actions taken in South Korea and Singapore and now parts of Canada. And yet unfortunately, we still see people not self isolating and infecting others as has happened in Canada and the USA, people I would say had the same outlook as the OP.

All that being said, I ask if the OP has now had a change of heart and what would the OP say to others who downplay this crisis and the impact of the infection.
Does the OP now recognize that he/she got it wrong and that the attitude contributed to the crisis?
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
We have no idea! That’s the point. They had this virus that could’ve been contained in October had the CPC been transparent about it. Instead the party wanted to save face, try to down play it, and now the world is stuck here.
And how were they supposed to do that when it hadn't even shown up then?

Furthermore, containment would be basically impossible without a test--and that takes time to develop.

The Chinese Communist Party is a kleptocracy/dictatorship. They don’t have freedom of the press, or impartial investigative journalism. Would you have believed news reports coming out of the Iron Curtain during the Cold War?

The point is none of us can ever know for certain if we are truly getting the full picture from what their Politburo puts out on any topic, frankly.
It's far harder for China to contain things--the internet and mass communications have totally changed the picture.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Sweden's national government has been reluctant to do much shutting down of anything, although they did get the high schools and higher ed closed down and have encouraged people to work from home if it's non-disruptive. But I am betting that they will very soon change course since the UK and US are doing more than they are and lots of the larger businesses have sort of got ahead of the government now in closing down.

Unlike in most of the rest of Europe, Sweden won't even shut down its premier ski resorts and the testing around them has been seriously lacking .... probably because they don't want to kill off business as usual for as long as they think they can get away with it nationally and internationally.
Sweden looks like about the only country in Europe where pretty much everything is still open.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Sweden looks like about the only country in Europe where pretty much everything is still open.
They will, shortly.....
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by chipmaster
They will, shortly.....
A Swedish friend of mine seems to agree that they will have to bow to the pressure sooner or later.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:33 pm

I fear the Netherlands is just too early in the outbreak to see a significant number immune. Wuhan data would be a great approximation for an urban area, or Hubei data as an approximation of herd immunity for a mix or urban and rural.
Temperature data from the past won't do it. Need antibodies. It is the crucial step to see where we fall in the Contagious vs Deadly risk assessment. But "Max Contagious" AND "Max Deadly" is not accurate.

And "relaxing our guard" is definitely NOT an option. The very end of the medium article goes over what needs to be done inside that 45-day window. By then we will know more.

Shutting down non-essential businesses for more than 3 weeks is the worst cost/benefit policy decision we can make.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mama
And Europe is even worse. At the time when the U.S. block Chinese visitors, the whole EU is still wide open to Chinese visitors, their health officials should be reprimanded. Specifically, Italy should be blamed for their own misery.
China has a lower infection rate than the EU, there's no reason to block travelers.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Within the last 24 hours, in just Italy, over 600 more people have been added to the Italian death toll as a result of this virus:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.alj...224219279.html

That’s how dangerous the situation is and can be elsewhere too.

How do you convince people to avoid non-essential domestic and international travel in impacted countries when they insist to continue with non-essential trips that are a risk for the traveler and for others?
Loren Pechtel and notquiteaff like this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 20, 2020 at 4:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.