Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2021, 4:42 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The personal card referral bonus for the CSP is 20k points. That’s $250 at least IMO; and even splitting the referral bonus (somehow) makes it more lucrative than getting a one-time $95 fee waiver.
The referral offer is not strictly better for people splitting the referral bonus. Chase can issue a 1099 for points earned through referrals. For many people, that means they will need to pay more than half of the FMV of the points (supposedly valuing each point at 1 cent) in taxes.

https://onemileatatime.com/chase-referral-1099/
Old Sep 10, 2021, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by WasKnown
The personal card referral bonus for the CSP is 20k points. That’s $250 at least IMO; and even splitting the referral bonus (somehow) makes it more lucrative than getting a one-time $95 fee waiver.
The referral offer is not strictly better for people splitting the referral bonus. Chase can issue a 1099 for points earned through referrals. For many people, that means they will need to pay more than half of the FMV of the points (supposedly valuing each point at 1 cent) in taxes.

https://onemileatatime.com/chase-referral-1099/
Your assessment is completely misguided. For people splitting the referral bonus, it is indeed better than the in-branch offer. Chase MAY send a 1099 for referrals OVER $600 per person. The most that two people can share is $200...and that's only earned by one person. Chase will NOT send a 1099 for a $200 referral bonus.

Last edited by nomorecoach; Sep 15, 2021 at 9:14 pm Reason: double posting
Old Sep 10, 2021, 10:32 pm

Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nomorecoach
Your assessment is completely misguided. For people splitting the referral bonus, it is imdeed better than the in-branch offer. Chase only sends 1099 for referrals OVER $600. The most that two people can share is $200...and that's just for one person.

Your assessment is completely misguided. For people splitting the referral bonus, it is indeed better than the in-branch offer. Chase MAY send a 1099 for referrals OVER $600 per person. The most that two people can share is $200...and that's only earned by one person. Chase will NOT send a 1099 for a $200 referral bonus.
Not making any referrals is also sub-optimal. But sure, if you do not have the capability of referring others, you should take the UR lone referral. I just think that strategy (no other referrals others than yourself) is also far from ideal.

$600 of UR on a 1099 is just 3 referrals currently so over $600 would just be 3 after the first p2 referral. That’s pretty easy for many people with even moderate friend groups to hit. If you are reasonably social and can already hit 3 referrals then you are once against choosing between taxed UR (and causing taxes for the rest of your referrals). The top marginal tax rate is hitting 50% in many states these days with very low SALT caps. So you’re basically buying 20,000 UR for $195 (taxes + the annual fee). Not worth it given how easy UR is to churn.

TL;DR I think taking the referral is suboptimal for anyone that can reasonably earn UR through the referral system (which is essentially a second SUB these days). Completing ignoring the refer a friend rn is also suboptimal. Therefore, no AF wins in my book!
Old Sep 11, 2021, 2:38 am

Smile

Originally Posted by sggolf
Yes, its true you can't have another active open Sapphire card to apply for another Sapphire card. However, rather than cancel Sapphire NAF, you can downgrade it to a Flex Unlimited VISA card (keeps same card number as Sapphire NAF and allows you to keep your Ultimate Rewards in tact). Then wait 4-5 days and apply for CSP. If you cancel Sapphire NAF card, you need to wait 30 days to apply for another Sapphire product.
Everything you posted is correct except for what I highlighted in red.

Flex is a MasterCard so the card number would change, (hint: VISA #'s begin with 4, and MC #'s begin with 5).

If keeping the old account number is important, the downgrade path is Old Freedom or Freedom Unlimited, (any of the three options keeps existing UR's with the downgraded account).
Old Sep 11, 2021, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by neuro0
Under 5/24 and only one Sapphire family card before

Any insight on this?

My questions are:

Just checked my credit report via Chase and it did not show any inquiry from Chase. Can it be Chase know I already have a sapphire card and not proceeding with credit check?

What is the recommend next step for me to get the CSP? I guess I just have to wait few days to let things settle.
I don't know what you mean by "Checking your credit report via Chase". Any credit report info Chase gives you for free is just a pass-through of what they buy monthly for routine account review, (and it wouldn't be updated in real time).

You could check other free sources for real-time updates, (and if such sources show no hard inquires from Chase for either of your two applications that would indicate that your two applications were auto-denied before getting to the point of evaluating your creditworthiness).

Your post has a lot of data but since you are obviously not just trying to get a CSP, I assume you are really just pursuing a new SUB. When did you get a SUB on the CSP you just recently downgraded?
Old Sep 11, 2021, 5:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Not making any referrals is also sub-optimal. But sure, if you do not have the capability of referring others, you should take the UR lone referral. I just think that strategy (no other referrals others than yourself) is also far from ideal.

$600 of UR on a 1099 is just 3 referrals currently so over $600 would just be 3 after the first p2 referral. That’s pretty easy for many people with even moderate friend groups to hit. If you are reasonably social and can already hit 3 referrals then you are once against choosing between taxed UR (and causing taxes for the rest of your referrals). The top marginal tax rate is hitting 50% in many states these days with very low SALT caps. So you’re basically buying 20,000 UR for $195 (taxes + the annual fee). Not worth it given how easy UR is to churn.

TL;DR I think taking the referral is suboptimal for anyone that can reasonably earn UR through the referral system (which is essentially a second SUB these days). Completing ignoring the refer a friend rn is also suboptimal. Therefore, no AF wins in my book!
Even most FT die-hards seem to rarely or never do these bank card referrals -- despite them being easy to do and often at least as good a value as if not using a referral link to get the same card.

Is FT into the Chase bank card referral business? The FTers-turned-bloggers seem to be way more into this stuff than FT and the average FTers. Those bloggers covering this Chase card and other bank cards often seem to skirt around what the "in-branch" offers are like, but I think it makes sense to consider all the options, including the possibility of getting a card referral from family/friends to apply for this card. And, yes, consider the potential tax implications as well.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 6:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Chris58
.... Any credit report info Chase gives you for free is just a pass-through of what they buy monthly for routine account review,
The credit report and score that Chase provides to cardholders is a consumer product unrelated to those that Chase uses to evaluate applications.

https://www.chase.com/personal/credi...credit-journey

Is FT into the Chase bank card referral business?.
The FlyerTalk community is: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first)
Old Sep 11, 2021, 7:06 am

Even most FT die-hards seem to rarely or never do these bank card referrals -- despite them being easy to do and often at least as good a value as if not using a referral link to get the same card.

Is FT into the Chase bank card referral business? The FTers-turned-bloggers seem to be way more into this stuff than FT and the average FTers. Those bloggers covering this Chase card and other bank cards often seem to skirt around what the "in-branch" offers are like, but I think it makes sense to consider all the options, including the possibility of getting a card referral from family/friends to apply for this card. And, yes, consider the potential tax implications as well.
Doctor of Credit had a list of blogs that promoted the CSP in branch offer instead of shilling their affiliate links. Don’t remember all of them but Frequent Miler was one of the good ones. I agree that CC referrals are easy and very lucrative. It does get difficult when you’re juggling multiple players and hit referral “soft” (1099) caps but that’s not a consideration for someone that doesn’t make any referrals.

Luckily, most of my friends are too lazy to go in branch. From the CSP referrals alone, I have farmed hundreds of thousands of extra UR.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Chris58

When did you get a SUB on the CSP you just recently downgraded?
That account was 5 years old. So I assume my last SUB was more than 48 mos.

I subscribed to credit monitoring, so I should know very soon after when someone trying to pull my credit report.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 1:39 am

Called recon and I was told I was denied because I already have a sapphire card.

My questions are:
Is waiting more than 4 days not enough after PC?
Hmmm,, I thought the common wisdom here was 4 days.

Having said THAT, the statement by an actual human upon a recon call seems pretty clear.

That account was 5 years old. So I assume my last SUB was more than 48 mos.
Okay, that's clearly not the reason !!
Old Sep 14, 2021, 10:13 am

Data point:
  • Downgraded CSR to Freedom on 9/7
  • Spoke to a Chase banker yesterday (9/13) to ask if I was eligible for the CSP but they couldn't see the card as an option for my profile. I know it takes longer for their system to update but it was worth shot.
  • Applied for CSP with a referral link today (9/14) instantly approved.
  • CSP card should arrive in 3-5 business days. My new Freedom card just arrived in the mail today.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 6:14 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by thenikkiroom
Data point:
  • Downgraded CSR to Freedom on 9/7
  • Spoke to a Chase banker yesterday (9/13) to ask if I was eligible for the CSP but they couldn't see the card as an option for my profile. I know it takes longer for their system to update but it was worth shot.
  • Applied for CSP with a referral link today (9/14) instantly approved.
  • CSP card should arrive in 3-5 business days. My new Freedom card just arrived in the mail today.
Is it really 3-5 business days for the card to arrive? I downgraded my CSR and waited 4 days and applied, but it went to pending and finally Sunday it showed up in my account. I called Chase to get an expedited card but they said it wasn’t showing as an option. They said 5-10 days for the card to arrive, but I’m eager to make some purchases that’ll count toward the SUB
Old Sep 14, 2021, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by allseas1586
Is it really 3-5 business days for the card to arrive? I downgraded my CSR and waited 4 days and applied, but it went to pending and finally Sunday it showed up in my account. I called Chase to get an expedited card but they said it wasn’t showing as an option. They said 5-10 days for the card to arrive, but I’m eager to make some purchases that’ll count toward the SUB
Is expedited shipping only available for CSR?
Old Sep 14, 2021, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by allseas1586
yes, I was instantly approved and the message said my card would arrive in 3-5 business days. I already see the CSP in my account now.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by naumank
Is expedited shipping only available for CSR?
It's available for the CSP. You have to request it either via secured message or phone. If you apply in branch, you can ask the banker to do that for you. You might end up with 2 versions of the card though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.