Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2021, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
No.It's four days from the date of conversion. If conversion was on 7/21 you can apply on 7/25. Also look at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...el-2020-a.html
Are we sure it's 4 days and not 4 business days?
Old Jul 23, 2021, 10:53 pm

How about the other way around. To be on the safe side, should I apply for csp 1st, get approved, then downgrade my csr to flex? If iI have the old chase card, can I still get the flex?

I would hate to downgrade my csr, then get denied for csp and cannot transfer or combine points.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by tovo
How about the other way around. To be on the safe side, should I apply for csp 1st, get approved, then downgrade my csr to flex?

I would hate to downgrade my csr, then get denied for csp and cannot transfer or combine points.
Hard NO on this idea if you want the CSP 100K new card bonus.

You won't be eligible if upon application you hold ANY Chase "Sapphire Family Product", (OR you received a Sapphire new card bonus in the previous 48 months).

As for your concerns about transferability of UR's, you can PC either up or down more or less as you wish, (and combining points has nothing to do with card product).
Old Jul 24, 2021, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
While I understand that average account age is a factor, I didn’t realize +10 year AAoA/AAooA is the “top Bucket/Segment”, I thought bigger, I mean longer, is better .
FWIW, my understanding is that the segments are less than 1 year, 1-2 years, 2-5 years, 5-10 years, and 10 years+.

As for individual account age in the calculation, my understanding is that 20 years is the max, (I.E. no difference in the "Risk Model" value between a 20 year old or 1,000 year old account).

Such a pity that AMEX D* died, (was a great way to add bandwidth to card churner's AAoA/AAooA number under this metric).
Old Jul 24, 2021, 7:24 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by Chris58
… 1,000 year old account …
There you go again, the age jokes. Gimme a break, I’m old but I’m not THAT old!!!

And I’m not easily impressed but “1,000 year old account” is most definitely impressive.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Chris58
Hard NO on this idea if you want the CSP 100K new card bonus.

You won't be eligible if upon application you hold ANY Chase "Sapphire Family Product", (OR you received a Sapphire new card bonus in the previous 48 months).

As for your concerns about transferability of UR's, you can PC either up or down more or less as you wish, (and combining points has nothing to do with card product).
Ok thank you so much. You saved me heartache, is there a way to tell if I got a sapphire bonus. I know I got it, but I dont when I opened it.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 3:52 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tovo
....is there a way to tell if I got a sapphire bonus.
Look at the PDF statements which are available on chase.com. To be clear, it is the date that the bonus posted which matters, not the date the account was opened.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Vcize
The post you quoted in your question was crystal clear and even gave an example. Do you have some reason to disbelieve it?
Old Jul 26, 2021, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Vcize
Yes. I downgraded my CSR midday on 7/19 and was instantly approved for a CSP on 7/23. I guess a slightly different way of looking at this is that one needs to allow 4 overnight cycles to occur between downgrading and applying.

Edit: I guess my example covers 4 business days, but given the way this is surely based on an automated process, there is no reason to expect weekends are treated differently.

Last edited by xov91; Jul 26, 2021 at 1:22 pm
Old Jul 26, 2021, 9:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I signed up for the CSP shortly before the 100k offer came out while it was still 80k + $50 credit for groceries.

I'm not sure this was mentioned already but it's worth noting that my $50 grocery spend was included in my $4k spend towards the bonus even though I got a credit for it. In addition, a $350 charge at Best Buy for which I had a 10% back offer (and thus received a $35 credit for) was also fully counted. As soon as the meter showed $4k spend, even though my balance was actually only $3915 after $50 grocery credit + $35 BB credit, the 80k bonus points posted a couple of days later.

Good to know that these types of credits are considered as payments and not as refunds so that the original charges are counted towards SUB spend.
onthego15 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by friedablass
Good to know that these types of credits are considered as payments and not as refunds so that the original charges are counted towards SUB spend.
With Chase, even refunds don't set you back as the bonus counts gross spend, not net spend. In the case of larger refunds bringing one well back below the $4000, it's generally recommended to spend enough to get the "net spend" back above the MSR. To date, Chase has not clawed back a bonus, but there may be a first time at some point.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 8:25 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I downgraded my CSR to a Flex on Friday night (7/23). It ended up being an account change as the Flex is a Mastercard and my CSR was a Visa. This is the 4th calendar day; Is it safe now to apply for a CSP? Anxious (probably unncessarily) that the 100k offer will vaporize, so I don't want to dilly-dally.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 8:31 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
One of my household members got a mailing yesterday from Chase for the 100k Sapphire Preferred SUB. The application form said they have until 8/16 to apply. I wonder if this means the 100k offer will stick around until then.
Robl, mpeterson78 and jai27 like this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by nethead25
I downgraded my CSR to a Flex on Friday night (7/23). It ended up being an account change as the Flex is a Mastercard and my CSR was a Visa. This is the 4th calendar day; Is it safe now to apply for a CSP? Anxious (probably unncessarily) that the 100k offer will vaporize, so I don't want to dilly-dally.
Based on data points in this thread the 28th should be the day, (counting 4 full calendar days after the 23rd_.

Originally Posted by friedablass
One of my household members got a mailing yesterday from Chase for the 100k Sapphire Preferred SUB. The application form said they have until 8/16 to apply. I wonder if this means the 100k offer will stick around until then.
It will be for this "Targeted Offer" you reference, (as to open public offers, that's up to Chase, they'll end it whenever they want to).
Old Jul 28, 2021, 6:41 am

I applied for this last month and got denied for 48 months. I didn't have my record on when I received the last bonus (most likely from CSR). I checked with Chase customer service and was told I should be good to apply again after 7/15. Tried again today since I have an upcoming trip soon. Denied again for 48 months clause. Pretty pissed at this point since Chase is not making it any easier to check when can I actually eligible to apply for this card. Called both lending dept & chase customer service, none have the system to know when did I received the last bonus for CSP or CSR. Urrgghh.

Edit: After escalation, I finally get someone who's able to bring out my statement. While it's correct the last big bonus 50k was awarded on 7/15/17, there's another 5k additional card or referral which was awarded the next month which cause the 48 months reset to that date instead. Urrrggghh, I have to try again next month.

Last edited by Taikucing; Jul 28, 2021 at 11:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.