Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Taikucing
Edit: After escalation, I finally get someone who's able to bring out my statement. While it's correct the last big bonus 50k was awarded on 7/15/17, there's another 5k additional card or referral which was awarded the next month which cause the 48 months reset to that date instead. Urrrggghh, I have to try again next month.
That doesn't sound right. Chase reps often use any reason that seems plausible to explain something that they don't have the answer for. This feels like one of those times.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by pallhedge
That doesn't sound right. Chase reps often use any reason that seems plausible to explain something that they don't have the answer for. This feels like one of those times.
Nevertheless, I'm still denied for 48 months bonus requirement. They can't override it. We'll see if what they say it's actually correct next month while hoping the 100k offer is still on the table. What annoyed me is I have a Hawaii trip in 10 days which will easily fulfill both mine & my wife CSP 4k spending requirement.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 4:13 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
The term of the offer says "This product is available to you if you do not have any Sapphire card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for any Sapphire card in the past 48 months."

The referral bonus is not a new cardmember bonus.
elsenor and nomorecoach like this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Does anyone know which date the 48 months is measured from? How does Chase compute this?

i.e. Is it the closing date of the statement showing "+New cardmember bonus" in the UR earnings section?
or is it the actual date at which you crossed over the required spend amount?
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 5:38 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Data point: downgraded CSR to Flex on Friday 7/23 (visa to mastercard so got a new account number, hopefully doesn't count as a new account for 5/24). Yesterday, Tuesday 7/27, I applied to the CSP. After submitting my application I was asked if there was any more income I wanted to report. I declined to add to the income, and received the pending application message. Today I logged into my chase account and saw a new card listed which turned out to be the CSP, with a $5k limit. I guess I already have so much credit with Chase already that they couldn't instant approve and then just gave me the minimum credit limit after reviewing manually. Whatever, I'm getting the bonus, works for me! I'll move some limits from my other cards.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 6:13 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by strickerj
Card was canceled, not changed. I see no mention of that account anywhere in either the app or desktop site, only the account that's currently open. I checked show/hide accounts and it isn't there but just hidden either; it's completely gone, as if I never had it.
Originally Posted by Chris58
Okay, that makes perfect sense. I'd assumed you'd PC'd to a no annual fee product for the FICO Score benefit.

For sure Chase has this info, (what month your SUB posted). If I were you I'd call Chase and try to get this date, (perhaps select the option of applying by phone and just try to get the info without applying).

It can't hurt to try since you want to open this account while the 100K SUB is still available.
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Does anyone know which date the 48 months is measured from? How does Chase compute this?

i.e. Is it the closing date of the statement showing "+New cardmember bonus" in the UR earnings section?
To follow up, it just occurred to me the account would still be in my old finance tracking software. (I've switched to a different one and not carried over closed accounts, but I saved an archive of the old data that I could check.) That didn't tell me when I got the bonus, but it did tell me when I met the spend threshold, which, it turns out, was in my first billing cycle (ended on 5/23 and paid on 6/18). So, I assume at this point in 2017 I would have been credited the bonus, but I echo Polytonic's question as to when they're counting the 48 months from.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 6:53 pm

I believe it's somewhere in between those two dates. My guess is it's 48 months after the SUB shows as "earning on next statement" which is usually a few days after meeting spend. I've written a blog post about this on my site if you want more info.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 9:54 pm

To follow up, it just occurred to me the account would still be in my old finance tracking software. (I've switched to a different one and not carried over closed accounts, but I saved an archive of the old data that I could check.) That didn't tell me when I got the bonus, but it did tell me when I met the spend threshold, which, it turns out, was in my first billing cycle (ended on 5/23 and paid on 6/18). So, I assume at this point in 2017 I would have been credited the bonus, but I echo Polytonic's question as to when they're counting the 48 months from.
If you have an online account with Chase, you should be able to pull up the statements. I was able to find mine. I crossed the minimum spend threshold (on 07/20/2017) in my first billing cycle and statement closed on 07/28/2017. So in theory if I downgrade my CSR to CFU tomorrow and then wait 4 days, I should be eligible in August? 🤔
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 7:49 am

If you have an online account with Chase, you should be able to pull up the statements. I was able to find mine. I crossed the minimum spend threshold (on 07/20/2017) in my first billing cycle and statement closed on 07/28/2017. So in theory if I downgrade my CSR to CFU tomorrow and then wait 4 days, I should be eligible in August? 🤔
I do but my CSR was canceled 2 years ago so it's long gone from my online accounts, and I didn't really feel like calling in to have them look it up.

Either way, if my minimum spend was met on 5/13, and that statement closed on 5/23, then I've had 2 statements close since then by this point 4 years ago, so I should be good there.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 8:18 am

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
I do but my CSR was canceled 2 years ago so it's long gone from my online accounts, and I didn't really feel like calling in to have them look it up.

Either way, if my minimum spend was met on 5/13, and that statement closed on 5/23, then I've had 2 statements close since then by this point 4 years ago, so I should be good there.
Yes, seems like you should be good to go.

Interestingly enough for me, the 100k CSR bonus was sent over 2 months, one 50k the month I met the MSR, and 50k the next. So instead of all landing in my May statement, it wasn't until the June statement that the entire 100k was deposited. I'll be downgrading today or tomorrow so as to not be surprised by the CSP offer ending abruptly.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by elsenor
Yes, seems like you should be good to go.

Interestingly enough for me, the 100k CSR bonus was sent over 2 months, one 50k the month I met the MSR, and 50k the next. So instead of all landing in my May statement, it wasn't until the June statement that the entire 100k was deposited. I'll be downgrading today or tomorrow so as to not be surprised by the CSP offer ending abruptly.
Interesting; I wonder if that'll happen this time too? I missed the 100k bonus for the CSR so I only got the 50k, and it was in one lump sum as expected.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 12:58 pm

I called in now to downgrade -- both the frontline representative and the retention representative confirmed that the date of eligibility is measured from when the points are earned (in this case, when the statement posts) so from your info above, you should be eligible as soon as you downgrade + 4 days for it to reflect in the system.
21A and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 7:42 pm

Has anyone paid their apartment rent recently with the CSP? There was a report that rent payments were being coded as cash advances.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Has anyone paid their apartment rent recently with the CSP? There was a report that rent payments were being coded as cash advances.
​​​​​​I paid rent using plastiq and CSP this month. Posted as a purchase, earned points and counted towards my $4,000 spend tracker.
renila, iluvdoco and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 7:56 am

I called in now to downgrade -- both the frontline representative and the retention representative confirmed that the date of eligibility is measured from when the points are earned (in this case, when the statement posts) so from your info above, you should be eligible as soon as you downgrade + 4 days for it to reflect in the system.
I've put in my application and am waiting for the callback. (I have a fraud alert on my credit report so every application has to be verified manually.)

I canceled my CSR outright 2 years ago and haven't had a Sapphire product since, so nothing to downgrade for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.