Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2021, 11:59 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by allseas1586
Is it really 3-5 business days for the card to arrive? I downgraded my CSR and waited 4 days and applied, but it went to pending and finally Sunday it showed up in my account. I called Chase to get an expedited card but they said it wasn’t showing as an option. They said 5-10 days for the card to arrive, but I’m eager to make some purchases that’ll count toward the SUB
I just got instant approval and I can confirm that its really 3-5 business days.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 8:57 pm

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by WasKnown
Originally Posted by nomorecoach
Your assessment is completely misguided. For people splitting the referral bonus, it is indeed better than the in-branch offer. Chase MAY send a 1099 for referrals OVER $600 per person. The most that two people can share is $200...and that's only earned by one person. Chase will NOT send a 1099 for a $200 referral bonus.
Not making any referrals is also sub-optimal. But sure, if you do not have the capability of referring others, you should take the UR lone referral. I just think that strategy (no other referrals others than yourself) is also far from ideal.

$600 of UR on a 1099 is just 3 referrals currently so over $600 would just be 3 after the first p2 referral. That’s pretty easy for many people with even moderate friend groups to hit. If you are reasonably social and can already hit 3 referrals then you are once against choosing between taxed UR (and causing taxes for the rest of your referrals). The top marginal tax rate is hitting 50% in many states these days with very low SALT caps. So you’re basically buying 20,000 UR for $195 (taxes + the annual fee). Not worth it given how easy UR is to churn.

TL;DR I think taking the referral is suboptimal for anyone that can reasonably earn UR through the referral system (which is essentially a second SUB these days). Completing ignoring the refer a friend rn is also suboptimal. Therefore, no AF wins in my book!
You are now saying something different. I challenged your original post because you posted the following:
The referral offer is not strictly better for people splitting the referral bonus. Chase can issue a 1099 for points earned through referrals.
You can NOT split the referral bonus if you are marketing your referral links to people outside your household (or business), as points transfers are only allowed for household members. For people splitting the referral bonus, that only means they can combine their points with other members of their household. And for households with many members, P1 would only refer P2. Then P2 refers P3 and so on. Everyone playing along would only get a $200 referral, which does not generate a 1099. I guess P1 can refer P2, P3, and P4, but why would you want to?

Again, for people splitting the referral bonus, it is indeed better to use the referral link rather than going for the in-branch offer.

Last edited by nomorecoach; Sep 15, 2021 at 9:16 pm
Old Sep 15, 2021, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by jamflyer
Originally Posted by allseas1586
Is it really 3-5 business days for the card to arrive? I downgraded my CSR and waited 4 days and applied, but it went to pending and finally Sunday it showed up in my account. I called Chase to get an expedited card but they said it wasn’t showing as an option. They said 5-10 days for the card to arrive, but I’m eager to make some purchases that’ll count toward the SUB
I just got instant approval and I can confirm that its really 3-5 business days.
It's not always 3-5 business days. It really depends on when they actually print your card and mail it out. Chase can fall behind on the printing, depending on how many cards they have to print. It can be a few more business days after account approval. Then account for the Postal Service delivery time. In the past, I've waited almost two weeks.
jamflyer likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 9:45 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
You are now saying something different. I challenged your original post because you posted the following:

You can NOT split the referral bonus if you are marketing your referral links to people outside your household (or business), as points transfers are only allowed for household members. For people splitting the referral bonus, that only means they can combine their points with other members of their household. And for households with many members, P1 would only refer P2. Then P2 refers P3 and so on. Everyone playing along would only get a $200 referral, which does not generate a 1099. I guess P1 can refer P2, P3, and P4, but why would you want to?

Again, for people splitting the referral bonus, it is indeed better to use the referral link rather than going for the in-branch offer.
You can refer other people AND split the referral bonus with someone in your household lol. You don’t need to split the referral bonus with everyone you refer. Taking the referral bonus is definitely not preferable to the in branch offer (esp the previous one) if you

A) Max out your referral cap anyway (which anyone can easily do)
B) Have an income that puts you in the top marginal tax bracket

If A and B don’t apply to you, sure. But it’s certainly not the optimal path (in many ways)
Old Sep 16, 2021, 7:57 am

You can NOT split the referral bonus if you are marketing your referral links to people outside your household (or business), as points transfers are only allowed for household members.
Technically true but people do this all the time. The referrer keeps the points and pays the referred some agreed upon cash amount.
Everyone playing along would only get a $200 referral, which does not generate a 1099.
This is debatable. I can recall seeing reports of Chase 1099's for < $600 worth of referrals.
RNE and WasKnown like this.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Everyone playing along would only get a $200 referral, which does not generate a 1099.
This is debatable. I can recall seeing reports of Chase 1099's for < $600 worth of referrals.
There are a few things to keep in mind:
1. People are getting 1099s for both business and personal credit referrals that collectively total $600 or more, but each 1099 is less than $600. So they believe they received a 1099 below the threshold.
2. Bank account bonuses, regardless of the amount, will generate a 1099 but some people lose track and think this is from a credit card referral.
3. Chase may including AF waivers and other credits.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 8:12 pm

You can refer other people AND split the referral bonus with someone in your household lol. You don’t need to split the referral bonus with everyone you refer.
Oh dear. You are now saying two different things. Again, you can not split a referral bonus (UR points) outside of your household. I'm done here.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 9:15 pm

Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Oh dear. You are now saying two different things. Again, you can not split a referral bonus (UR points) outside of your household. I'm done here.
Someone already explained to you why people can split referral bonuses… but I’m not even talking about anything related to that lol. I’m just saying that not taking easy referral points is strictly suboptimal lol. For anyone that is optimizing their CC setup (which is what this is all about, optimization), the in-branch offer is strictly better because you are either paying an opportunity cost or a tangible tax.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 9:29 pm

There are a few things to keep in mind:
1. People are getting 1099s for both business and personal credit referrals that collectively total $600 or more, but each 1099 is less than $600. So they believe they received a 1099 below the threshold.
2. Bank account bonuses, regardless of the amount, will generate a 1099 but some people lose track and think this is from a credit card referral.
3. Chase may including AF waivers and other credits.
I will make the math very simple for you.

Let’s assume a top marginal tax rate of 50%. This means that someone optimizing their spend (ie referring other people to the CSP WITHOUT splitting any referral) would pay $100 in taxes on the 20K UR and an additional $95 AF.

That is effectively buying 20K UR for $195 or 0.00975 cents per point. You can find a margin in the CSP redemption worth $55 if you redeem through PYB. Conversely, you could just take the $95 AF annual fee waiver AND still have a remaining open slot for a free 20K referral down the line.

Again, it is IMO very easy for any reasonable person to hit the CSP referral cap so long as the referral offer remains the same as the best alternative online offer (unlike cards like the Marriott cards). Thus, you should either be hitting the full CSP referral cap per card or hitting whatever you’re comfortable with to stay away from a 1099. Disregarding all data points that disagree with you is not reasonable btw and doesn’t communicate that you have high conviction in this. As a result, taking the referral for yourself yields you paying an opportunity cost as you are now closer to this limit vs. the AF waiver which is unrestricted.

Happy to see any reasonable argument you have against this instead of just degenerating back to splitting referral benefits which is not related to the argument. However, I find it very unlikely you will come up with something because this is straight up the strategy used by churners opening up CSPs every month.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 5:29 am

DELETED

Last edited by cerps343; Sep 20, 2021 at 8:23 am Reason: Posted in more relevant thread
Old Sep 20, 2021, 6:03 am

I will make the math very simple for you.

Let’s assume a top marginal tax rate of 50%. This means that someone optimizing their spend (ie referring other people to the CSP WITHOUT splitting any referral) would pay $100 in taxes on the 20K UR and an additional $95 AF.

That is effectively buying 20K UR for $195 or 0.00975 cents per point.
Your very simple math is wrong by a factor of 100.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Your very simple math is wrong by a factor of 100.
.00975 dollars per point. Still doesn’t change the result lol
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 6:08 pm

Does anyone know when the 100K CSP offer ends ? My wife drops to 4/24 on 10/1 and she has another card that drops off in early November.

I would like to get her the 100K CSP ( and my referral) and also get her the 125K Marriott Boundless offer that was just released.

I read where the Marriott offer ends 11/3 which is the exact day my wife would go back ( if the gets the CSP) to 4/24.

I'm thinking it's safer to get the Marriott first but don't want to miss the 115K ( 100 plus 15 referral CSP) thanks

Last edited by flyer4512; Sep 24, 2021 at 12:02 pm
Old Sep 23, 2021, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Does anyone know when the 100K CSP offer ends ?
No one knows
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 3:15 pm

Easy Question: Bonus when holding Chase Sapphire Reserve and Preferred

Quick Question:
My wife has a Chase Sapphire Reserve card since Jan 2017. Can she keep that card and apply for Chase Sapphire Preferred 100K Bonus? I want to say that I read somewhere that she would have to cancel that Chase Sapphire Reserve and wait 1-2month before she applies for the Preferred card in order for her to get approved? (That she might be denied if she has a current Reserve card)

Please advise

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.