Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2021, 2:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by elsenor
I know one sure fire way is to use the Chase app. Have him download it if he doesn't already have it. Choose the CSP in the menu if more than one card, scroll past the recent transactions section, the "your new account bonus" immediately follows and shows amount spent of the $4k spend. Hope that helps.
It’s indeed the thing I have used most to track progress toward the SUB. In addition, I would note the following: on the Chase app, the spending tracker for the 100k point SUB may not be viewable there around the time when Chase is doing some sort of statement closing updates.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by sggolf
Yes, its true you can't have another active open Sapphire card to apply for another Sapphire card. However, rather than cancel Sapphire NAF, you can downgrade it to a Flex Unlimited VISA card (keeps same card number as Sapphire NAF and allows you to keep your Ultimate Rewards in tact). Then wait 4-5 days and apply for CSP. If you cancel Sapphire NAF card, you need to wait 30 days to apply for another Sapphire product.
Thanks! Too late for me, as we cancelled over the phone, but can perhaps use the downgrade strategy in a year or two when we consider whether to continue with 2 CSP cards.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Submitted my app last week, it got stuck despite no obvious issues. Called in and they approved it after moving some credit off my Freedom Flex which was my downgraded CSR so had a high, mostly unused, credit line
Old Sep 2, 2021, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by sggolf
If you cancel Sapphire NAF card, you need to wait 30 days to apply for another Sapphire product.
Is 30 days approximate or exact? Is there a way to know when it is ok, to apply, e.g., account visibility on chase.com?
Old Sep 3, 2021, 6:43 am

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
Originally Posted by FreFly
Is 30 days approximate or exact? Is there a way to know when it is ok, to apply, e.g., account visibility on chase.com?
Everything I've read across multiple forums is that it's 30 days. Could it be 29? Maybe? But never is the time frame mentioned "roughly" like it is after a downgrade [it takes roughly 5 days for Chase's systems to reflect you do not have a Sapphire product, could you downgrade and be approved in 3? Sure. Could it take 6? Sure]. I also have never come across anything regarding a customer's ability to know when it's "time" by viewing their online account.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 10:46 am

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Everything I've read across multiple forums is that it's 30 days. Could it be 29? Maybe? But never is the time frame mentioned "roughly" like it is after a downgrade [it takes roughly 5 days for Chase's systems to reflect you do not have a Sapphire product, could you downgrade and be approved in 3? Sure. Could it take 6? Sure]. I also have never come across anything regarding a customer's ability to know when it's "time" by viewing their online account.
Thanks. Maybe this is because Chase allows one to reopen a closed credit card account within 30 days.
So it looks like the only way to find out if it is "time" is to apply. If you are approved, it is. If you are declined, and are otherwise eligible for the card, it is not the time.
​​​​​​
WasKnown likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 6:51 am

...Maybe this is because Chase allows one to reopen a closed credit card account within 30 days...​​​​​​
This is my theory as well.
Happy and WasKnown like this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 5:09 pm

If you product change from a Sapphire to one of the Freedom cards, it usually takes about two business days for Chase to update your account. You'll know it's been updated when your Sapphire card has automatically been converted to a Freedom in your mobile wallet (e.g., Samsung or Apple Pay). That's when you can apply for the Sapphire Preferred.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 2:23 pm

Programs: Grounded
Just tried to get a meeting with a banker in-branch for the first year no AF version of this offer and he said 'the offer is not available for your account' because I recently had a CSR. He correctly saw it's already downgraded to a freedom flex (1 week ago). Based on my read of other data points here is it likely he's incorrect and that an online application would go through successfully?
Old Sep 7, 2021, 3:06 pm
Original Member

I think you can apply online (hopefully with a referral from someone, ) but in the branch, it takes much longer for them to see the CSR to clear.
I gave up calling them to see when my downgrade would allow me to apply in branch. Just went ahead and applied online direct. Good luck!
Old Sep 8, 2021, 9:32 am

Under 5/24 and only one Sapphire family card before

Any insight on this?
Reduced my CSP CL to 10K to free up credit line two weeks ago,
PCed CSP to Freedom unlimited on last Thursday am.
Applied for CSP using a referral link today Wednesday and got a verifying information screen and stuck there for more than 5 mins without any progress.
Closed that page and applied again using the referral link.
Got instant denial.
Called the application status phone number and got "an application pending review, will notify you in 10 days" message. Online app status is not even showing any application at all
Called recon and I was told I was denied because I already have a sapphire card.

My questions are:
Is waiting more than 4 days not enough after PC?
Why the phone status told me my app is pending when the recon rep said I was denied? Can it be my first application actually went through and I was denied the 2nd time because the system think it is a duplicate app?
Will I waste a hard inquiry on this? Just checked my credit report via Chase and it did not show any inquiry from Chase. Can it be Chase know I already have a sapphire card and not proceeding with credit check?

What is the recommend next step for me to get the CSP? I guess I just have to wait few days to let things settle.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 10:38 am

Can you still go to Chase branch and get CSP for 100K bonus w/ annual fee waived? Also, is this applicable to people who have no other banking relationship with chase except the credit cards.

Thanks
Old Sep 8, 2021, 1:45 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by monu58
Can you still go to Chase branch and get CSP for 100K bonus w/ annual fee waived? Also, is this applicable to people who have no other banking relationship with chase except the credit cards.

Thanks
Yes to both
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 3:38 pm

Thanks
Went to my local branch to verify identity for a bank account and inquired about the CSP. Agent said they'll be offering waived AF until end of September. Hopefully he knows what he's talking about cause he also said I could upgrade to the CSR at anytime prior to a year on the CSP account. I was going to take the offer but I'd really like to MDD and still on the fence about it.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Thanks
The personal card referral bonus for the CSP is 20k points. That’s $250 at least IMO; and even splitting the referral bonus (somehow) makes it more lucrative than getting a one-time $95 fee waiver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.