Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2021, 6:19 am

Sorry Ole Chris58,

I have several cards through them and figured if I were "pre approved" for a card a hard pull wouldn't occur. I was wrong.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by gamecock2009
I have several cards through them and figured if I were "pre approved" for a card a hard pull wouldn't occur. I was wrong.
Chase never approves a credit card application without a hard pull. AFAIK only Amex does that.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 9:18 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
So assuming this offer ends tomorrow (10/6), I assume there is no way I can downgrade my CSR today and potentially apply/get approved for the CSP tomorrow? For sure we need to wait the 3-4 days?
Old Oct 5, 2021, 9:39 am

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
Trying to get hold of a representative to get the card expedited and i forgot how bad chase customer service is compared to Amex haha, waiting 20 minutes just to talk to a person.
When i first got the CSP in 2014, the number on the back connected you with a customer service rep directly and you didn't have to wait. I guess it became too popular to maintain that.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by no1cub17
So assuming this offer ends tomorrow (10/6), I assume there is no way I can downgrade my CSR today and potentially apply/get approved for the CSP tomorrow? For sure we need to wait the 3-4 days?
same situation here, hoping the in-branch offer remains and just the web applications are pulled.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Originally Posted by cab747
same situation here, hoping the in-branch offer remains and just the web applications are pulled.
Add me to this list! I took the risk and downgraded my CSR to Freedom Flex today (got CSR 5 years ago and would get the big AF next month anyway). I got a referral link and my hope is that they will still have the offer several days from now. If not, boo! If either of you want to be a guinea pig, post back here if it goes through for you tomorrow!

From what I understand, doing the in-branch application just a few days after a product change won't work. Anyone know more about the timing on that?

At any rate, I guess the 3 options are:
A. Apply online tomorrow (10/6) and hope for the best? If declined, I'm not sure if recon a few days later works?
B. Wait until Fri, Sat, or Mon to apply with a referral link, hoping the offer is still valid?
C. Wait longer (?) and apply in branch if it's till possible there?
B is my plan, but I'm open to what others think! Thanks,
--Kyle
Old Oct 5, 2021, 1:17 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
How long do referral links typically last? I’m under 5/24 as of 11/1.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by kyleay
Add me to this list! I took the risk and downgraded my CSR to Freedom Flex today (got CSR 5 years ago and would get the big AF next month anyway). I got a referral link and my hope is that they will still have the offer several days from now. If not, boo! If either of you want to be a guinea pig, post back here if it goes through for you tomorrow!

From what I understand, doing the in-branch application just a few days after a product change won't work. Anyone know more about the timing on that?

A. Apply online tomorrow (10/6) and hope for the best? If declined, I'm not sure if recon a few days later works?
B. Wait until Fri, Sat, or Mon to apply with a referral link, hoping the offer is still valid?
--Kyle
Spoiler

Old Oct 5, 2021, 6:10 pm

Sorry Ole Chris58,

No problem, I see from your posts you're an AMEX frequent user, (so you're used to opening new accounts with no HP). The only other bank I've had do this was last year I was opening a Business checking account at Wells Fargo for a $1,000 SUB and they threw in a Business CC with $500 SUB based only on the soft pull for the bank account.

Depending on where you live Chase might have hard pulled from more than one bureau, (where I live in CA, they ALWAYS pull both EX & EQ).

Truth is the new account once it posts will have far more impact than the inquiry.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 6:51 pm

--Kyle
My understanding is that after the PC downgrade you have to wait 30 days for an in-branch app to work, (but maybe it's after the PC'd account closes as no-Sapphire product).

I think option A is a waste of time since it will probably auto-deny you as a current Sapphire account holder. They also probably wouldn't hard pull a credit score so there wouldn't be an application to recon.

Option B is your best bet and I think the referral you have should still work.

FWIW, I just now generated a referral from my now sock-drawered CSP I opened in July, and this was the language.

Just make sure they use this link to apply so you can earn a bonus. It will expire in 6 months. By sending this link via text message, you confirm that you have consent to send text messages to each recipient

I pasted the link in a new tab and it brought up the 100k offer, (but of course the only way to know for sure if a 100k referral offer still works after the public offer is pulled is to try it AFTER the public offer is actually pulled).

If you or anyone else needs a link if it works after the public offer ends I'll save this referral and be more than happy for anyone to use it.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Chris58
My understanding is that after the PC downgrade you have to wait 30 days for an in-branch app to work, (but maybe it's after the PC'd account closes as no-Sapphire product).

I think option A is a waste of time since it will probably auto-deny you as a current Sapphire account holder. They also probably wouldn't hard pull a credit score so there wouldn't be an application to recon.
Agreed on all, thanks. Although if they don't even do anything for Option A, would they even notice if I applied Wed, Friday, and Monday (for example)? Did those apps even "happen" if they don't pull your credit or anything? Thanks,
--Kyle
Old Oct 5, 2021, 7:27 pm

Agreed on all, thanks. Although if they don't even do anything for Option A, would they even notice if I applied Wed, Friday, and Monday (for example)? Did those apps even "happen" if they don't pull your credit or anything? Thanks,
--Kyle
I have no idea what impact multiple auto-denied apps might have on an app once you're "Eligible", (but Chase's system WILL know you made the apps even though they were auto-denied).

Having said that, I don't know why you would want to risk "Poking the Chase Bear", since we know you're not eligible under any circumstances right now.

Most DP's indicate it's 4 days for online app after PC downgrade. When I did mine I actually waited 4 business days out of an abundance of caution, (and I didn't count the day I PC'd down).

If I were you I wouldn't count today as day 1, and I'd wait to apply on Sunday the 10th.

Think about it, if the public offer comes down tomorrow as speculated there's NOTHING you can do other than rely on a referral working after the public offer ends, (or wait even longer to do an in-branch app).

Therefore, why not just wait until you're certain Chase's system doesn't see you as a "Current Sapphire Family Cardholder".
Old Oct 5, 2021, 10:21 pm

Think about it, if the public offer comes down tomorrow as speculated there's NOTHING you can do other than rely on a referral working after the public offer ends, (or wait even longer to do an in-branch app).

Therefore, why not just wait until you're certain Chase's system doesn't see you as a "Current Sapphire Family Cardholder".
Yep, I'll wait. Probably until Sunday or Monday. Thanks,
--Kyle
Old Oct 5, 2021, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold

Option B is your best bet and I think the referral you have should still work.

FWIW, I just now generated a referral from my now sock-drawered CSP I opened in July, and this was the language.

Just make sure they use this link to apply so you can earn a bonus. It will expire in 6 months. By sending this link via text message, you confirm that you have consent to send text messages to each recipient

I pasted the link in a new tab and it brought up the 100k offer, (but of course the only way to know for sure if a 100k referral offer still works after the public offer is pulled is to try it AFTER the public offer is actually pulled).

If you or anyone else needs a link if it works after the public offer ends I'll save this referral and be more than happy for anyone to use it.
Interesting- can multiple people use a referral link? If that's the case, I'm very curious if the link works even after the 100k offer is pulled. I chickened out today and didn't downgrade my CSR. So I'm going to hold off on doing that to see more data points.

Another thought I had was that if they remove the 100k offer but still keep it generous (in the 70-80k range), I'd probably still be fine taking that. If it goes down to 50k though I'll probably wait for a better offer.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 5:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

[...] would they even notice if I applied Wed, Friday, and Monday (for example)? Did those apps even "happen" if they don't pull your credit or anything?
There was some thread in the past week, I believe, where someone reported being denied for too many applications after getting three or four applications denied for other reasons in a short time frame. My searching abilities are not adequate to the task of finding that post, but it sounds like a bad idea.
kyleay likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.