Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2021, 11:00 am

saw a description of my 100k referral as listed below, but the referral link only shows only 60k bonus for the applicant, so didn’t apply… anyone know how to get the link to show 100k bonus as the description shows? Thx

OUR BEST OFFER EVER!
Earn up to 100,000 bonus points per year by referring friends for the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card. That’s 20,000
Old Oct 9, 2021, 7:00 pm

Did a PC early Thursday morning and will wait at least two business days. Thinking Tuesday morning. for everything to clear by.

Put in for a SM for credit card limit reduction. So my procrastination fingers are crossed that this works out in the end.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by danhouston
saw a description of my 100k referral as listed below, but the referral link only shows only 60k bonus for the applicant, so didn’t apply… anyone know how to get the link to show 100k bonus as the description shows? Thx

OUR BEST OFFER EVER!
Earn up to 100,000 bonus points per year by referring friends for the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card. That’s 20,000
The description you posted is silent on the applicant's signup bonus. It only mentions your referral bonus amounts. 100k is the annual max and 20k is per referral.
DoB840 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 9:58 am

OUR BEST OFFER EVER!
My referral link still opens a 100k offer. My wife gets under 5/24 tomorrow so planning to apply following day if it still shows 100k.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge
The description you posted is silent on the applicant's signup bonus. It only mentions your referral bonus amounts. 100k is the annual max and 20k is per referral.
ah, I didn't read carefully.. saw a 100k pts, thinking a new applicant would get that bonus amt if approved
Old Oct 10, 2021, 7:42 pm

OUR BEST OFFER EVER!
I just copy-pasted into a tab the referral I generated before the public 100k offer came down and this is the language.THE ALL-NEW SAPPHIRE PREFERRED CARD

100,000BonusPoints

Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening — that's $1,250 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.*Opens Offer Details Overlay

Just be sure to apply through this page and your friend can be rewarded!
This is what the referral link leads to right now 10/10/2021 6:40 PM PDT.

Are you sure the link wasn't generated AFTER the public offer ended?
Old Oct 10, 2021, 10:56 pm

Anyone know how long it takes a credit limit decrease to flow through chase's systems? I converted my CSR on Thursday and decreased it later Friday via secure message. The decreased limit shows up in my converted account properly now. Trying to give it as many days as possible to flow through all their systems, if it isn't instant, before I apply for the CSP via referral.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by jacisme
Anyone know how long it takes a credit limit decrease to flow through chase's systems? I converted my CSR on Thursday and decreased it later Friday via secure message. The decreased limit shows up in my converted account properly now. Trying to give it as many days as possible to flow through all their systems, if it isn't instant, before I apply for the CSP via referral.
I have no idea how long this takes, (but I'm mildly curious about this subject since I see a lot of people discussing this issue)?

Personally, I know I'm at "Max-Exposure" with Chase, (meaning they're more than happy to open any new card product I desire as long as I'm not under their "Internal Bust-Out risk model" of "5/24"), they just don't want to extend me any additional revolving credit.

Why would you proactively reduce the amount of credit Chase has extended to you?

Why is the pursuit of "Instant Approval" of a new Chase CC application important to you?
Old Oct 11, 2021, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Chris58
Why is the pursuit of "Instant Approval" of a new Chase CC application important to you?
OP made no indication that instant approval was of any importance.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 8:50 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Chris58
I have no idea how long this takes, (but I'm mildly curious about this subject since I see a lot of people discussing this issue)?

Personally, I know I'm at "Max-Exposure" with Chase, (meaning they're more than happy to open any new card product I desire as long as I'm not under their "Internal Bust-Out risk model" of "5/24"), they just don't want to extend me any additional revolving credit.

Why would you proactively reduce the amount of credit Chase has extended to you?
This topic has been litigated to death in this thread. You will never be able to convince people on the internet that their behavior is indeed sub-optimal. There were people here trying to justify lowering their line of credit with Chase by talking about credit cycling.

Originally Posted by EdofFX
Chase has this habit of giving you a large credit line for a new credit card that would effectively push your total credit line with them near the maximum they are comfortable with you.

I would trim those excess credit lines by sending Chase a SM asking them to reduce the credit line for a particular card to a lower amount. (I would do one card per SM to make live easy for the agent) It usually get done within 12 hours and I would get a SM saying it is done.

So if they give me a $20K credit line on a Freedom, I can ask them to lower it to $5k. That would release $15K credit for future applications. For a CSP or CSR, I heard the minimum credit line is 10K, but I have no personal experience.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I don’t worry about fluctuations to my credit scores that come from reducing/reallocating/expanding credit lines. Any score fluctuations which I see in recent years have been oscillations within a range that doesn’t materially change anything for me.

If on a new card account Chase gives a credit line limit that ends in a $__,X00 amount where X ≠ 0, isn’t that more likely to be a sign of having hit Chase’s personal card lending limit unless and until Chase gets an updated income figure?

Consumer card payment habits are now much more likely to involve multiple payments being made so as to cover big purchases much closer to when the transactions are made than used to be the case. So it’s well possible to have a $10k credit limit on a Chase card and yet have managed to charge $30k-$60k within a month on such card — and sometimes that is done without the utilization of the account ever even getting into the double digits.
Originally Posted by vanillabean
There is also a chance it might snow in downtown San Francisco in ten minutes.

If you over time keep your utilization at 1-2%, it’s also unlikely any CCC will lift an eyebrow if one day you’re at 5%. Or that you wouldn’t get back any of the credit that you have released.

For me always. I have no desire to negotiate such matter with someone on the phone. If it comes to that, it’s already too late. I’m only interested if I’m considered good enough to begin with.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Thanks! Want to transfer some miles to AA to book a flight, but if it takes a month to get the points... Might be too tricky, esp. if there's a deval.
You can transfer to BA to redeem on AA. Domestic redemptions via BA are often cheaper than going through AA.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 6:24 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Plat AMB, HH Diamond, Delta Silver, Finnair Plat
Originally Posted by kyleay
I'm not sure what you mean - "showing as needing a credit limit of 20k?" I downgraded to Freedom Flex as well, so trying to figure out what you mean.
When I called in, the agent said that it wouldn't let her decrease my credit limit on the Freedom Flex below $20K and that was the minimum. That's definitely not the case as many people here have mentioned credit limits well below that on this card. I wouldn't worry about it too much, I think it was a temporary thing with the PC but as long as you can move enough credit from other cards to hit the Sapphire minimum you should be fine.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by jimmathin
When I called in, the agent said that it wouldn't let her decrease my credit limit on the Freedom Flex below $20K and that was the minimum. That's definitely not the case as many people here have mentioned credit limits well below that on this card. I wouldn't worry about it too much, I think it was a temporary thing with the PC but as long as you can move enough credit from other cards to hit the Sapphire minimum you should be fine.
Gotcha. Well, I downgraded CSR on 10/5 to Freedom Flex and at the same time asked to reduce credit limit by $6k or $8k (don't remember for sure). I applied for CSP on 10/5, applied 10/11 and it went pending. Today I see the card in my Chase account (with $15,500 limit).

I'd like to make sure I have the 100k sign up bonus (which is what it showed on my referral application link). I thought Chase listed a SUB tracker on the website or app? But I don't see it anywhere. Is the only way to check now to send a secure message? Thanks,
--Kyle
Old Oct 12, 2021, 11:41 am

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by kyleay
I'd like to make sure I have the 100k sign up bonus (which is what it showed on my referral application link). I thought Chase listed a SUB tracker on the website or app? But I don't see it anywhere. Is the only way to check now to send a secure message? Thanks,
--Kyle
Chase has an SUB tracker: how to view it. However, for a new card, the information may take some time to post.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 12:13 pm

RED ALERT: My wife's previously made referral offer is now showing the 60k offer, not the 100k offer like it did as recently as yesterday. BUT when I VPN'd into a latin american server, it shows me the 100k offer. Any US VPN server I tried results in the 60k offer. I would venture to guess the 100k referral links will be ending imminently for everyone.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.