Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2021, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by EdofFX
It takes about 7-10 days for the physical card to arrive. So it is cutting it close if you plan a big purchase or starting a trip within the mailing period.

If the car dealer does not accept the Apple wallet, you can always postpone the car purchase for a few days if putting that spend on it is important to you.
Car dealer was willing to postpone until I got the card but we were leaving out of town Sunday (card still hadn’t come by then). Wanted the new car for the trip and tired of driving 45 minutes back and forth to the dealer.

Have been able to put some of vacation spend on card but still have $3,900 to go
Old Aug 19, 2021, 11:16 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I would trim those excess credit lines by sending Chase a SM asking them to reduce the credit line for a particular card to a lower amount. (I would do one card per SM to make live easy for the agent) It usually get done within 12 hours and I would get a SM saying it is done.
You can call in and do multiple cards in a single call and it takes effect instantly.

Originally Posted by WasKnown
I don’t think it’s worth trying to lower a CL on your cards to “make room” for future applications. If you get rejected for a card and suspect it is because Chase isn’t willing to extend you more credit, you can call Chase to recon and reallocate credit to the new card.
Generally agree. But sometimes one may be in a situation where you would really like to maximize the chances of an app to go through within a certain time period w/o having to contact recon...
Old Aug 20, 2021, 4:13 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Larger credit line = lower credit utilization = higher credit score

Also, getting approved for a certain credit limit once does not mean you will get approved for it again in the future.
There is also a chance it might snow in downtown San Francisco in ten minutes.

If you over time keep your utilization at 1-2%, it’s also unlikely any CCC will lift an eyebrow if one day you’re at 5%. Or that you wouldn’t get back any of the credit that you have released.

Originally Posted by Zorak
sometimes one may be in a situation where you would really like to maximize the chances of an app to go through within a certain time period w/o having to contact recon...
For me always. I have no desire to negotiate such matter with someone on the phone. If it comes to that, it’s already too late. I’m only interested if I’m considered good enough to begin with.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 5:40 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by vanillabean
There is also a chance it might snow in downtown San Francisco in ten minutes.
Comparing these two things doesn’t make any sense. All that needs to happen is for Chase to tighten its risk tolerance for personal credit… when did we see that? Oh, all of 2020 lol.

Originally Posted by vanillabean
If you over time keep your utilization at 1-2%, it’s also unlikely any CCC will lift an eyebrow if one day you’re at 5%. Or that you wouldn’t get back any of the credit that you have released.
Sure. It’s much easier to be under 2% with a higher credit limit. You realize 2% of $10K is $200 right? Unless you’re cycling your balance (which is worse obviously), you will need a pretty high credit limit to put even modest spend on your CC and remain under 2%.

There’s also the issue of your bust out score. However, I doubt anyone asking the bank to lower their CL for a credit card is the type of person to be doing stuff that gets them flagged for that.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 6:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I don’t worry about fluctuations to my credit scores that come from reducing/reallocating/expanding credit lines. Any score fluctuations which I see in recent years have been oscillations within a range that doesn’t materially change anything for me.

If on a new card account Chase gives a credit line limit that ends in a $__,X00 amount where X ≠ 0, isn’t that more likely to be a sign of having hit Chase’s personal card lending limit unless and until Chase gets an updated income figure?

Sure. It’s much easier to be under 2% with a higher credit limit. You realize 2% of $10K is $200 right? Unless you’re cycling your balance (which is worse obviously), you will need a pretty high credit limit to put even modest spend on your CC and remain under 2%.
Consumer card payment habits are now much more likely to involve multiple payments being made so as to cover big purchases much closer to when the transactions are made than used to be the case. So it’s well possible to have a $10k credit limit on a Chase card and yet have managed to charge $30k-$60k within a month on such card — and sometimes that is done without the utilization of the account ever even getting into the double digits.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 20, 2021 at 7:02 am
Old Aug 20, 2021, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If on a new card account Chase gives a credit line limit that ends in a $__,X00 amount where X ≠ 0, isn’t that more likely to be a sign of having hit Chase’s personal card lending limit unless and until Chase gets an updated income figure?
That’s my experience.

Consumer card payment habits are now much more likely to involve multiple payments being made so as to cover big purchases much closer to when the transactions are made than used to be the case. So it’s well possible to have a $10k credit limit on a Chase card and yet have managed to charge $30k-$60k within a month on such card — and sometimes that is done without the utilization of the account ever even getting into the double digits.
Outside of credit cycling of course.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 7:49 am

Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
I don’t worry about fluctuations to my credit scores that come from reducing/reallocating/expanding credit lines. Any score fluctuations which I see in recent years have been oscillations within a range that doesn’t materially change anything for me.

Sounds like you’re talking about credit cycling which I mentioned in the post you’re replying to. You’re welcome to do that if you want. For people that want to grab SUBs and maximize their Chase 5/24 slots (as the op seems to), that’s just not a good path.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 7:53 am

Also, I wonder if anyone has thoughts on when this elevated SUB might change? The supposed end date has already passed. Currently earned about 405K UR from this (300K sub, 105K referral) but, after getting distracted by the Amex Plat 125 + 15x offer, I want to refocus some personal slots on UR.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 5:41 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
You can call in and do multiple cards in a single call and it takes effect instantly..
But my preference is not having to call.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 8:26 pm

Larger credit line = lower credit utilization = higher credit score

Also, getting approved for a certain credit limit once does not mean you will get approved for it again in the future.
When you have to worry about managing your credit utilization that way, that means you are carrying a balance on your credit cards, which in turn means you are paying interests on that balance. I believe it is not a good idea to carry a balance on a credit card, if you can help it. The interest rate on a typical credit card is highway robbery.

I have also never had to worry about not getting enough credit line. I have more than enough as is, and it does not matter any way because my credit utilization is usually zero.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 1:34 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
When you have to worry about managing your credit utilization that way, that means you are carrying a balance on your credit cards, which in turn means you are paying interests on that balance. [...]
I don't think that's automatically true...

I have also never had to worry about not getting enough credit line. I have more than enough as is, and it does not matter any way because my credit utilization is usually zero.
... not sure about this implication either, unless you literally never use your cards. My understanding is that utilization is factored into your credit score on an ongoing, snapshot-in-time sort of basis and does not necessarily reflect all zeroes just because you pay off in full every month (which I do too and I suspect most of us in the CC game, because the interest is usurious, as you mentioned, and that quickly negates the value of any points/benefits)

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-e...t-utilization/

"It's also important to understand that credit card companies generally report your account balance around the end of your billing period. As a result, you could have a high utilization ratio even if you pay your bill in full, because the bill usually isn't due until around 21 to 25 days after you receive it."
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:18 am

.. not sure about this implication either, unless you literally never use your cards. My understanding is that utilization is factored into your credit score on an ongoing, snapshot-in-time sort of basis and does not necessarily reflect all zeroes just because you pay off in full every month (which I do too and I suspect most of us in the CC game, because the interest is usurious, as you mentioned, and that quickly negates the value of any points/benefits)

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-e...t-utilization/

"It's also important to understand that credit card companies generally report your account balance around the end of your billing period. As a result, you could have a high utilization ratio even if you pay your bill in full, because the bill usually isn't due until around 21 to 25 days after you receive it."
I do use my cards. That is how I earn points besides the SUBs. I just don't keep a balance on any of them and don't let the balance accumulates either. Anyone can achieve that by making payments before statement cutoffs. At this time of low interest rates for savings, there is no benefit in waiting for the CC to send a statement or wait until the statement is due. I don't pay attention to statement cutoffs or when CCs report, because I have a credit balance most days. And if a CC manage to get a snapshot between my credit balances, it would not be a meaningful number.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:31 am

I found this to be very true. Once someone's FICO get into the Excellent category, there is not much difference between 800 or 820 for most consumers.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 6:25 am

I just don't keep a balance on any of them … I don't pay attention to statement cutoffs
Reporting a balance is a reference to the statement date and as such has a direct impact on your credit score. Carrying a balance is a reference to the due date and merely reflects on paying interest.

Last edited by vanillabean; Aug 21, 2021 at 7:40 am
Old Aug 21, 2021, 7:32 pm

When you have to worry about managing your credit utilization that way, that means you are carrying a balance on your credit cards, which in turn means you are paying interests on that balance.
No it does not lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.