Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Best use of Ultimate Rewards points [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2013, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

I have 70k UR points I would like to do something smart with. I have for the most part a great deal of SW points (but would convert to SW if there was a great ratio ie 100k pts for my 70k or something).

The only other Airline I have miles with is US and I hold 80k miles there, but if I could transfer 1:1 or better I wouldn't mind having 130k there as I could fly almost anywhere internationally then

The other idea would be into a Hotel such as Hyatt if the ratio is good

Any ideas? Do promotions run often that give big bonuses transferring UR points? What would you guys do?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kaminski6
I have 70k UR points I would like to do something smart with. I have for the most part a great deal of SW points (but would convert to SW if there was a great ratio ie 100k pts for my 70k or something).

The only other Airline I have miles with is US and I hold 80k miles there, but if I could transfer 1:1 or better I wouldn't mind having 130k there as I could fly almost anywhere internationally then

The other idea would be into a Hotel such as Hyatt if the ratio is good

Any ideas? Do promotions run often that give big bonuses transferring UR points? What would you guys do?
US is currently in the *A with UA, so you could use the points you transfer to UA to fly on US.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Can I combine UA points + US points for a booking on UA since they are both part of the *A? Or do the points have to be all in one account or the other?

Does UR and UA offer 1:1 exchange? Are there ever promotions to get like 1 : 1.5?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 1:58 pm

Can I combine UA points + US points for a booking on UA since they are both part of the *A? Or do the points have to be all in one account or the other?

Does UR and UA offer 1:1 exchange? Are there ever promotions to get like 1 : 1.5?
They have to be one or the other; you can't split even though they are both *A.

UR->UA at 1:1, but there are not usually promotions, no.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
The available transfer partners are all listed on the UR website.

No one here can really answer for you? There isn't one single, objective "best" - depends what you have a use for and where you want to go/stay. You have lots of choices with 70K. Look at the award charts for the available transfer partners and see what tickles your fancy
Old Feb 17, 2013, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

If I transfer to United, I will have 50k in united and 80k in US Airways

If I wanted to book two coach award tickets on united totalling 90k miles, Can I make an award booking using the 50k United and 40k US airway miles even though they are in different accounts? They are both *A, it's just 50k reside in United and the other 40k would be pulled from my US Airways... I am just confused on how I combine them to make one United Award Purchase...
Old Feb 17, 2013, 4:27 pm

If I wanted to book two coach award tickets on united totalling 90k miles, Can I make an award booking using the 50k United and 40k US airway miles even though they are in different accounts? They are both *A, it's just 50k reside in United and the other 40k would be pulled from my US Airways... I am just confused on how I combine them to make one United Award Purchase...
Depending on when you plan to fly, your US Airways miles will be eventually converted to American Airlines miles, which (hopefully) would allow you to book one-way award tickets. That way, you can fly one way on AA and back on UA.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 4:30 pm
Community Director Emerita

Currently, you can only book RT with US miles. You can book one ways with UA miles. If the award you want is 45K on UA and 45K on US, and if two seats are available on the same flights, book one ticket from each account.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Currently, you can only book RT with US miles. You can book one ways with UA miles. If the award you want is 45K on UA and 45K on US, and if two seats are available on the same flights, book one ticket from each account.
Other then booking one on each site, there is no way though correcT? Even though they are both *A partners they need to be in the same account? I can't take 35k US and add my 5k United to make a 40k airway ticket to book on say Swiss air (another *A) points. I would need to have 40k total in one or the other accounts? Correct?

Which makes deciding where to dump my UR points a tough decision, originally wanted united... but may be better to just apd them all into my US account
Old Feb 17, 2013, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Other then booking one on each site, there is no way though correcT? Even though they are both *A partners they need to be in the same account? I can't take 35k US and add my 5k United to make a 40k airway ticket to book on say Swiss air (another *A) points. I would need to have 40k total in one or the other accounts? Correct?

Which makes deciding where to dump my UR points a tough decision, originally wanted united... but may be better to just apd them all into my US account
You cannot transfer UA miles to US; you cannot transfer US miles to UA; and you cannot combine miles from a UA account and a US account to purchase one award.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 6:49 pm

Let us make it very clear for you: You can NOT combine miles from two different airlines PERIOD. So, stop thinking about 5K from one and 25K from the other and all that. The award ticket, that is the free ticket with your airline miles, will come from one airline account or the other, NOT from a combination of two airline miles. And the miles are NOT transferable from one airline's account to the other airline's account. I hope that clarifies it for you?

Last edited by Slow_Mustang; Feb 17, 2013 at 7:00 pm
Old Feb 17, 2013, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On top of that you cannot redeem a single award using miles from 2 DIFFERENT airlines accounts, US is NOT a partner of UR.

The partners of UR are all listed right on UR's site.

On top of that UR has not run a single promotion on transfer to UA miles in its history, so far.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
If you fly relatively short distances, consider BA Avios. They can be used to book travel on AA and AS, similar to WN RR 2.0 are based on distance.

Best value is relatively short international flights, where most airlines add a mileage premium (SAN, LAX to SJD, PVR; MIA to most of the Carribean; DFW to CUN, CZM; JFK to eastern Canada, SEA or PDX to wsetern Canada) or west coast flights to Hawaii.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Priority Club can also be a good deal - particularly if you can take advantage if their PointBreaks http://www.priorityclub.com/hotels/u...em/pointbreaks - little as 5k pts per night.
Some of their points plus cash deals are also worth considering.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 7:39 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
If I transfer to United, I will have 50k in united
Why? I thought you had 70K UR points to move?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.