Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by travelwulf
I've had the 40K $95 fee Visa CSP for just about a year with minimal spend after the spend was met.
Friday I applied for the 55K $125 fee CSP and then called Chase reconsideration to see if I could get the bonus. After checking my file, the CSR said that I was was "eligible" for the new bonus (she couldn't say what made me eligible, though she did imply that the fact that I'd had the CSP for a year helped my chances of eligibility) if I was willing to close my old CSP. I said I was (of course), and she closed the account and approved me for the 55K CSP.

The strategy is a little bit risky as they cannot confirm you'll be eligible before hand (per my conversation with the same rep prior to my application), but it worked for me.
Interesting. That certainly points in the right direction!
Old Nov 25, 2013, 8:42 pm

Is anyone else experiencing long delays with Chase SM? I really appreciate that they say 4 hour turnaround in their auto-response, but it's taking them 2.5 days to answer my messages.

I also got turned down for the 50K match, still waiting to hear about 5K for adding an AU.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by 8fingeredflyer
Is anyone else experiencing long delays with Chase SM? I really appreciate that they say 4 hour turnaround in their auto-response, but it's taking them 2.5 days to answer my messages.

I also got turned down for the 50K match, still waiting to hear about 5K for adding an AU.
I opened a CSP account earlier in the year and today sent Chase a SM asking if I could have the 5,000 UR point offer for adding an authorized user applied to my account. I was told "yes" and that all I needed to do was reply to the SM with the name of my authorized user. After I did this, I received another email stating that the authorized user had been added, but that the CS representative had misinformed me earlier about my eligibility for receiving the 5,000 UR point bonus. They told me I would not receive any points.

I was lied to and have written proof that I was informed I would receive the offer. I wrote back stating this and demanded to receive the 5,000 UR points. Misrepresentation is a big no-no.

Any suggestions on how to proceed if they decline the 5,000 UR points again? The SM clearly states they will give me the 5,000 UR points if I add the authorized user...
Old Nov 26, 2013, 7:41 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by rjs11
I was lied to...
You were given inaccurate information. This is called a "mistake", not a "lie", unless you have evidence that Chase intended to deceive you. Just tell Chase to cancel the request for the authorized user's card and move on.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Originally Posted by travelwulf
I've had the 40K $95 fee Visa CSP for just about a year with minimal spend after the spend was met.
Friday I applied for the 55K $125 fee CSP and then called Chase reconsideration to see if I could get the bonus. After checking my file, the CSR said that I was was "eligible" for the new bonus (she couldn't say what made me eligible, though she did imply that the fact that I'd had the CSP for a year helped my chances of eligibility) if I was willing to close my old CSP. I said I was (of course), and she closed the account and approved me for the 55K CSP.

The strategy is a little bit risky as they cannot confirm you'll be eligible before hand (per my conversation with the same rep prior to my application), but it worked for me.
That is good news. Would you please let us know if Chase ever gives out the bonus after you meet the spending requirements?
Old Nov 27, 2013, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by rjs11
Any suggestions on how to proceed if they decline the 5,000 UR points again? The SM clearly states they will give me the 5,000 UR points if I add the authorized user...
Did you get a responses and what's the verdict?
Old Nov 29, 2013, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by ponickka
Did you get a responses and what's the verdict?
Took 2 SMs and a phone call, but after a few days I received the 5,000 UR points.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by katstarr
as I posted on my blog, I just was approved for it - I believe with the bonus points - but of course we'll have to wait until I fulfill the spend.

to answer the question "does chase consider this the same or different products" the answer is maybe yes maybe no. they seem to be taking the "different product" stand if you want the benefits of the new offer applied to a former offer. they seem to be taking the "same product" stand if you want to churn or get a second card. But mostly, there is no one hard "stand" by Chase on this = so just try a few times and see where it all lands.
Yeah, I concur. I just telephoned CS and the rep took the same line after I asked if I was "out of luck" in possibly getting the increased bonus to 50K (currently confirmed as the 40K bonus). Rep posited that the 50K bonus was connected to a "different product," and that, "unfortunately," he couldn't match the highter 50K/$125 AF. He even couldn't instantly (request forwarded to mrktg dep't) confirm an extra 5K for adding an authorized user. Kinda weird, isn't it, that it's a "different product" while being called the same thing? Side note: CSR explained that, although not "chip 'n pin" it's a "chip 'n signature" card. Upon further inquiry, I learned that these can be used in Europe kiosks, etc., by simply pressing "cancel" when prompted for a PIN. This is great news as some of those European train ticket lines can be worrisome when trying to catch the very next schedule. Finally, Using a US Chase credit card will work just as well as a typical European one. Why is it that we even ever got to be excluded from European machines while Europeans had superior versability? I guess now I have to be concerned about somebody hacking my back pocket? Geesh.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
I wonder if I can app for both CSPs and get 95K points.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tailgater
Yeah, I concur. I just telephoned CS and the rep took the same line after I asked if I was "out of luck" in possibly getting the increased bonus to 50K (currently confirmed as the 40K bonus). Rep posited that the 50K bonus was connected to a "different product," and that, "unfortunately," he couldn't match the highter 50K/$125 AF. He even couldn't instantly (request forwarded to mrktg dep't) confirm an extra 5K for adding an authorized user. Kinda weird, isn't it, that it's a "different product" while being called the same thing? Side note: CSR explained that, although not "chip 'n pin" it's a "chip 'n signature" card. Upon further inquiry, I learned that these can be used in Europe kiosks, etc., by simply pressing "cancel" when prompted for a PIN. This is great news as some of those European train ticket lines can be worrisome when trying to catch the very next schedule. Finally, Using a US Chase credit card will work just as well as a typical European one. Why is it that we even ever got to be excluded from European machines while Europeans had superior versability? I guess now I have to be concerned about somebody hacking my back pocket? Geesh.
This would only work in countries that the kiosks are using real time verification. For countries like France, Switzerland and Austria, Russia also, just to name a few, their unmanned systems are "off line" type, meaning the verification of the card is relying on the info stored on the Chip - which the Chip and Signature cards DO NOT have. Your Chip and Signature card would be DECLINED regardless.

Other Chase cards such as the BA and UA cards have long been Chip and Signature and they DO NOT work at a French unmanned gas station or toll booth! Just be warned!

There is a long running thread in the Credit card forum dedicated to what work and what not of the EMV cards in Europe. Go there and learn something for your future travel.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
This would only work in countries that the kiosks are using real time verification. For countries like France, Switzerland and Austria, Russia also, just to name a few, their unmanned systems are "off line" type, meaning the verification of the card is relying on the info stored on the Chip - which the Chip and Signature cards DO NOT have. Your Chip and Signature card would be DECLINED regardless.

Other Chase cards such as the BA and UA cards have long been Chip and Signature and they DO NOT work at a French unmanned gas station or toll booth! Just be warned!

There is a long running thread in the Credit card forum dedicated to what work and what not of the EMV cards in Europe. Go there and learn something for your future travel.
Oh well, I think European train stations may have real time verficiation because they seem to be current with seat assignments, reservation ability, and such. I was wondering how a "signature" could satisfy a "PIN" procedure and the CSR explained it to me. I've already seen that other thread you're referrring to...that's where I think I first learned about the Chip 'n PIN credidt cards in use in Europe. Incidentally, have you tried using this "Chip 'n Signature" using the "cancel" protocol to bypass the PIN request in a SNCF, DB, FS, etc., automated train ticket dispenser? This is what I'm really concerned about since I don't usually drive and prefer public transit optons. Oh well, no matter, I 'll simply find out MYSELF next time I need to purchase a ticket in train station.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 10:46 pm

Do any of you guys whether it's feasible to get the 7% annual bonus and cancel the card to avoid the monthly fee? If so, how do you pull this off?
Old Dec 1, 2013, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Silverthunder
Do any of you guys whether it's feasible to get the 7% annual bonus and cancel the card to avoid the monthly fee? If so, how do you pull this off?
Yes. Don't sign up at the end of the calendar year. Sign up in March (or later) instead. That way, your 7% bonus (paid out at the start of the calendar year) hits before the annual fee posts.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by Tailgater
Oh well, I think European train stations may have real time verficiation because they seem to be current with seat assignments, reservation ability, and such. I was wondering how a "signature" could satisfy a "PIN" procedure and the CSR explained it to me. I've already seen that other thread you're referrring to...that's where I think I first learned about the Chip 'n PIN credidt cards in use in Europe. Incidentally, have you tried using this "Chip 'n Signature" using the "cancel" protocol to bypass the PIN request in a SNCF, DB, FS, etc., automated train ticket dispenser? This is what I'm really concerned about since I don't usually drive and prefer public transit optons. Oh well, no matter, I 'll simply find out MYSELF next time I need to purchase a ticket in train station.
I have never had an issue buying a train ticket in Europe using a kiosk with a Chip & Signature card. They are all online.

And, the folks who keep saying how screwed you will be with unmanned stations aren't misinformed, but these stations are slowly coming online. Chip & PIN's benefits were great when internet access was expensive and unreliable in Europe; this is no longer the case.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Can I get the 5k referral bonus if I get someone to sign up for the 55k offer? Only see the 40k offer show up with no 5k authorized user bonus when sending referrals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.