Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2013, 1:55 pm

I already have 50k UR points from my Freedom card. When I get this card, will I be able to redeem those points with the 20% travel bonus or transfer them to hyatt as well?
Also, is there any way to get the travel bonus when not booking through the UR website? Many hotels they have are about 10% cheaper on Kayak.
Thanks!

Last edited by QuickBrownFox; Dec 1, 2013 at 2:21 pm
Old Dec 1, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QuickBrownFox
I already have 50k UR points from my Freedom card. When I get this card, will I be able to redeem those points with the 20% travel bonus or transfer them to hyatt as well?
Also, is there any way to get the travel bonus when not booking through the UR website? Many hotels they have are about 10% cheaper on Kayak.
Thanks!
You have to transfer the Freedom UR pts to the pool of CSP UR account first.

Only the CSP and Ink Bold/Plus UR accounts enjoy this benefit.

You would still get 2x earning on travel expenses, just not the additional UR bonus booked thru UR mall. Always check your actual costs instead of blindly going for additional point earning. After all the whole game is to save money.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You have to transfer the Freedom UR pts to the pool of CSP UR account first.

Only the CSP and Ink Bold/Plus UR accounts enjoy this benefit.

You would still get 2x earning on travel expenses, just not the additional UR bonus booked thru UR mall. Always check your actual costs instead of blindly going for additional point earning. After all the whole game is to save money.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm planning a honeymoon in Hawaii and Hyatt has some very nice properties in Hawaii. You're saying I should be able to transfer my existing UR points into the CSP account and then transfer them to Hyatt? So potentially I could have my existing 50k + newly earned 50k + 5k authorized user transferred into my Hyatt account?

Thanks again!
Old Dec 1, 2013, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tailgater
Oh well, I think European train stations may have real time verficiation because they seem to be current with seat assignments, reservation ability, and such. I was wondering how a "signature" could satisfy a "PIN" procedure and the CSR explained it to me. I've already seen that other thread you're referrring to...that's where I think I first learned about the Chip 'n PIN credidt cards in use in Europe. Incidentally, have you tried using this "Chip 'n Signature" using the "cancel" protocol to bypass the PIN request in a SNCF, DB, FS, etc., automated train ticket dispenser? This is what I'm really concerned about since I don't usually drive and prefer public transit optons. Oh well, no matter, I 'll simply find out MYSELF next time I need to purchase a ticket in train station.
The kiosks in Austria rejected ALL my US-based Chip and Signature cards.

The kiosks in Italy happily took them, despite it did ask for PIN input which I used the Cash Advance PIN (did not change the transaction which remained purchase).

Real Time you described is for the operating system of the TRAIN and has NOTHING to do with the PAYMENT system which is to either communicate with your bank or your card to make sure the payment can be billed to your card. 2 completely different systems being used for 2 completely different nature of transactions.

You will NOT be able to buy it from a French, Switzerland and Austrian train ticket machines unless those countries somehow change to real time verification method. You will not be able to pay for your gas or toll with your chip and signature card at any unmanned booth or station.

I believe Scandinavian countries also are not real-time but I could be mistaken.

You will be able to do so in Italy, Spain, Germany and Netherlands.

DB works just fine. Did seat selection purchases with the Kiosk with just the swipe card, at a DB customer center. Did this in August.

No need to even have Chip - except it is a bit tricky on the direction to enter the card - somehow the necessary info is stored on a certain end of the strip and if that part is not inside, it is SOL. That is how I observe one time at a DB customer service counter how the CS took a look of my CSP before she used the card - the same card was rejected at the quick window where you entered the card yourself, but worked just fine when at the center where the CS took time to examine my card before pushed it half-way to the payment device.

Those are the countries where I have tried in past 18 months. Again, you will get a lot more info by reading the updates on the EMV thread in the Credit Card forum.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 1, 2013 at 2:52 pm
Old Dec 2, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by QuickBrownFox
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm planning a honeymoon in Hawaii and Hyatt has some very nice properties in Hawaii. You're saying I should be able to transfer my existing UR points into the CSP account and then transfer them to Hyatt? So potentially I could have my existing 50k + newly earned 50k + 5k authorized user transferred into my Hyatt account?

Thanks again!
Yep, you can move any UR points you have to your CSP UR account, and from there you can transfer to Hyatt, United, etc.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by dukerau
Yep, you can move any UR points you have to your CSP UR account, and from there you can transfer to Hyatt, United, etc.
As discussed in the detailed wiki at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...mes-rules.html
Old Dec 2, 2013, 2:15 pm

I was able to use Chase Hyatt Visa chip & signature at Vienna metro (not train) and France regional train kiosks in September 2013. Using chipless cards at these kiosk locations resulted in failure. At a staffed train ticket office in Vienna it had to be swiped instead of pushed in to read its chip.

Zurich airport in April 2013 I was even able to use a chipless Chase Ink Bold MC at the train station kiosks there.

It doesn't hurt to set a PIN either because in certain countries (e.g. Romania) you need the PIN almost everywhere (including supermarkets). As posted above, transactions post as purchases and not cash advances when using PIN.

Sorry for the OT.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 2:53 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
i find that regional French train kiosks (not CDG they have gotten better), French and Italian gas/train stations (unmanned late at night in rural areas) are the hardest in W. EU to use and often the most critical.

Originally Posted by michael_v
I was able to use Chase Hyatt Visa chip & signature at Vienna metro (not train) and France regional train kiosks in September 2013. Using chipless cards at these kiosk locations resulted in failure. At a staffed train ticket office in Vienna it had to be swiped instead of pushed in to read its chip.

Zurich airport in April 2013 I was even able to use a chipless Chase Ink Bold MC at the train station kiosks there.

It doesn't hurt to set a PIN either because in certain countries (e.g. Romania) you need the PIN almost everywhere (including supermarkets). As posted above, transactions post as purchases and not cash advances when using PIN.

Sorry for the OT.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by frank_10b
i find that regional French train kiosks (not CDG they have gotten better), French and Italian gas/train stations (unmanned late at night in rural areas) are the hardest in W. EU to use and often the most critical.
The last time I flew into CDG (summer 2010), I made sure to have a big pocketful of Euro coins for this very reason. Good to hear the situation for US CCs has improved.

Back on topic: I just called Chase to ask them to send me chip&signature versions of my CSP cards. Looking forward to trying them out on upcomign trip to MXP.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
For anyone who applied using the $2k/40K points offer, did your card have an EMV chip in it when it arrived? The card in the ad doesn't have one. Just wondering.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
For anyone who applied using the $2k/40K points offer, did your card have an EMV chip in it when it arrived? The card in the ad doesn't have one. Just wondering.
Yes, all chip and sig.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 9:28 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by wiivile
Yes, all chip and sig.
Thanks.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
If I get the message that Chase needs more time to look into my application after I apply, what is the # I can call to speed things up? It might be due to my new address
Old Dec 6, 2013, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
If I get the message that Chase needs more time to look into my application after I apply, what is the # I can call to speed things up? It might be due to my new address
I have a fraud alert on my credit report and I called 888-245-0625 and got that sorted out quickly. I'm assuming the same team should be able to help you too.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL GM
After reviewing this thread I'm assuming everyone thinks the additional 10K or 15K points (with an AU) is worth the additional $30 of the new offer compared to the old 40K/$95 offer correct?

I've been waiting on the sidelines for a while to finally pull the trigger on the CSP, I'm assuming the annual fee is on a rolling 12 month basis vs calendar year basis, so is there any benefit to me either getting the card in December 2013 or waiting until early 2014?

As you can tell I'm new to the whole credit card points game and have been using my DL Plat Amex for the past couple years and finally looking to move my spend elsewhere.

Thanks,
Bob

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.