Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by bman3241
Now that the 50K point offer is dead, has anyone heard rumors about another temporary or permanent increased point offer from the standard 40K offer for the CSP card?

Thanks,
Bob

I don't remember hearing any rumors about the 50k offer until it was live. The people who are in the know on such things may not be posting on this board.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:33 pm

Got approved today link in wiki for
Offer for 40K points for $3K spend over 3 months; AF waived first year, $95 thereafter. Extra 5K for adding additional cardholder.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:50 am

is it worth waiting for a better offer from Chase or should I pull the trigger now on the 40k offer?

I'm not desperately needing a new card, but it'd be nice to get this instead.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:02 pm

If you wait, be prepared to wait a year or more for another 50k deal. It could come back sooner, but Chase's special offers for the CSP are usually rare and for a limited time.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by djca
I first applied for CSP in July 2009 ($95 annual fee/25k bonus). Cancelled it probably a year after.

I applied for this 50k/$125 annual fee CSP last month. I've met the spending requirement just a day or two before the statement closed. I didn't get the 50k signup points in that statement.

I sent Chase a secure message asking about it, and their reply confirmed that I will be getting the first use bonus on the next statement.
UPDATE: I received the 50k signup bonus when my second statement closed. 2nd CSP 3+ years after closing first one with different annual fee.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by djca
UPDATE: I received the 50k signup bonus when my second statement closed. 2nd CSP 3+ years after closing first one with different annual fee.
I applied and closed the first CSP card around the same time as you did. Will I get the bonus points if i apply again the card with the same annual fee as my first card ($95) and lower bonus point (40K vs. 50K for the first card)?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by jjfly
I applied and closed the first CSP card around the same time as you did. Will I get the bonus points if i apply again the card with the same annual fee as my first card ($95) and lower bonus point (40K vs. 50K for the first card)?
This will probably be a YMMV thing. People, including myself, were able to get two CSP bonuses by applying for a Visa then MC or vice versa (no longer possible since Chase stopped issuing the MC version), so you may very well be able to double dip on CSPs with different sign-up bonuses or AFs.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by snic
So the question is, does Chase consider the 55k bonus, $125 annual fee CSP Visa to be a different card from the 40k bonus, $95 annual fee CSP Visa? Mrs snic had the CSP Visa a couple of years ago, and it's been closed for 12-18 months (not sure exactly how long). We just applied for the 55k bonus version. It will be some time before we know about the bonus points, but I'll post as soon as she gets them (or doesn't).
Just received the 50k bonus.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
I got in on the 50,000/$125 offer. I know Chase normally won't waive annual fees, but does anyone know if they'd reduce it to the normal $95, when the first year is over?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by CalAlumnus13
I got in on the 50,000/$125 offer. I know Chase normally won't waive annual fees, but does anyone know if they'd reduce it to the normal $95, when the first year is over?
You signed up for the $125 AF version and got an extra 10k UR points in the process. I doubt Chase would let you have it both ways and reduce your AF, especially since there have been no recent reports of a CSP retention offer.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bribro
You signed up for the $125 AF version and got an extra 10k UR points in the process. I doubt Chase would let you have it both ways and reduce your AF, especially since there have been no recent reports of a CSP retention offer.
If I PC the $125 CSP to a standard Sapphire, can I then immediately apply for the $95 CSP? Or, do I need to wait a period of time before getting a new CSP?

I'm not trying to get a new sign-up bonus, just trying to reduce the annual fee.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:08 pm

If I PC the $125 CSP to a standard Sapphire, can I then immediately apply for the $95 CSP? Or, do I need to wait a period of time before getting a new CSP?

I'm not trying to get a new sign-up bonus, just trying to reduce the annual fee.
I haven't seen any data points on that scenario specifically. I was able to PC my first CSP Visa to a Freedom, then immediately applied and received instant approval for a CSP MC and get a second sign-up bonus and AF waiver. I think your plan makes sense, but YMMV.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 3:16 pm

You have to wait 1 year and 1 day before converting a CSP to another account.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Has anyone gotten any targetted spending bonuses for the CSP? Not sign on but "hey, you haven't used the card for a while...." type things we see with Hyatt and BA? I know Chase doesn't really do retention with the CSP, but since I got the Freedom I've sent pretty much all my non-CSP bonused spend to the Freedom, which leaves very little on CSP. Hoping for something, but not expecting.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:10 pm

So I had a CSP Visa Signature (50k bonus) and PC'ed to Freedom Visa Signature (about 1 year ago). Yes visa to visa. Also have a Freedom Visa non-signature card ($150 bonus). If apply for a CSP now, will I be able to qualify for the 40k bonus or am I going to get shot down because of PCing from CSP visa sign to Freedom visa sign?

I know that PCing from CSP visa signature => Freedom MC works in past for others but this not my case. Also option to apply for CSP MC is dead from my understanding. So only CSP Visa issue is what everyone is mentioning now. Additionally, my current Freedom Visa Signature has the exact CC number as my former CSP Visa Signature. Will I get denied due to this?

Oh flyertalk cc gurus speak to me your wisdom!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.