Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2023, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Sent a secure message, fingers crossed! If that doesn't work, maybe call in once just to see. Thanks for the suggestion! Gf just got the card last week, so minimum spend changes aren't an issue (though I don't think there are any in this case anyway)
I'll bet that she gets the higher offer. Did the same thing last year on a different card. Let us know.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by philemer
I'll bet that she gets the higher offer. Did the same thing last year on a different card. Let us know.
Chase messaged back and said to message/call them again once the minimum spend is met, they'll manually credit the additional 20k points. Yay!
Rare, Robl and dragoncsl like this.
Old May 9, 2023, 11:58 pm

Is there any datapoint if you cancel refundable hotel booking you will still get the 50 hotel credit plus the full refunded hotel reservation? I know this trick works for travel credit in CSR, US bank reserver, C1 Venture X...etc but not sure about hotel credit in CSP.
Edit: I got the answer from other resources and it's yes

Last edited by good_boy_1234; May 15, 2023 at 1:49 am
Old Nov 12, 2023, 2:45 pm

Anyone know when the 80k or 100k bonus might come back?

I'm 1/24 in terms of new cards (though I did take advantage of two balance transfer offers on my existing Citi cards this year, perhaps that would make me at 3/24?).

I wanted to sign up for a card this weekend, to take advantage of higher spending during the holiday season, and then start churning again after that.

I wanted to get the Chase cards first, since I know they are worth the most.

Should I just get the CSP now, even though it's at 60k bonus? (Looking for a card with a low AF, and spending about $1k - $1.2k a month).
Old Nov 20, 2023, 1:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by AAdvanadium
Anyone know when the 80k or 100k bonus might come back?

I'm 1/24 in terms of new cards (though I did take advantage of two balance transfer offers on my existing Citi cards this year, perhaps that would make me at 3/24?).

I wanted to sign up for a card this weekend, to take advantage of higher spending during the holiday season, and then start churning again after that.

I wanted to get the Chase cards first, since I know they are worth the most.

Should I just get the CSP now, even though it's at 60k bonus? (Looking for a card with a low AF, and spending about $1k - $1.2k a month).
IMO, timing SUB is like timing the stock market.
AAdvanadium likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 1:19 pm

Hi all. I'm pretty new to my CSP. Taking a trip this Jan and thought to get my $50 by booking the hotel via the portal. Portal was almost $100/night more expensive than booking directly with the hotel. Is this a one off, or do y'all see this kinda thing frequently?
Old Dec 9, 2023, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SailorJoe
Hi all. I'm pretty new to my CSP. Taking a trip this Jan and thought to get my $50 by booking the hotel via the portal. Portal was almost $100/night more expensive than booking directly with the hotel. Is this a one off, or do y'all see this kinda thing frequently?
Just book a random stay anywhere and then cancel it after a day or two. This will trigger the $50 credit. You don't actually have to complete the stay. I've done it 2 yrs in a row.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
Just book a random stay anywhere and then cancel it after a day or two. This will trigger the $50 credit. You don't actually have to complete the stay. I've done it 2 yrs in a row.
Done. Will watch for the credit...
Old Dec 11, 2023, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by SailorJoe
Done. Will watch for the credit...
Credit posted today. That was quick and painless! ;-)
Old Dec 21, 2023, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI - there is a [slightly] elevated in-branch SUB for the CSP through the end of December.

You get the 60,000 points public offer for $4K/3 months and another 10,000 points for spending an additional $2K within 6 months and you still get the 60K/4 even if you miss hitting the last $2K/2.

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
IMO, timing SUB is like timing the stock market.
Indeed.

$700 [minimum] in hand is better than the potential of getting $800 or $900 at some unknown point in the future.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 7:13 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, CET Diamond, MGM Gold
Chase UR $50 credit vs 5X points

I usually use my points to transfer to partners, with the exception of very occasional airline tickets. As I had quite a few points and have already committed to St. Maarten in July 2024, I booked a 7-night stay using a combination of points with the remainder charged to the card.

The $50 hotel credit has already posted to my account. However, I have heard that if the $50 credit is applied, then the charge is not eligible to earn 5X UR points. Is this a YMMV-type situation, or is it pretty set in stone? I would definitely give back the $50 if it meant earning 5X points as the balance that I charged to the card was nearly$2000. Thanks to anyone who knows!
Old Dec 31, 2023, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nottooshabby
I usually use my points to transfer to partners, with the exception of very occasional airline tickets. As I had quite a few points and have already committed to St. Maarten in July 2024, I booked a 7-night stay using a combination of points with the remainder charged to the card.

The $50 hotel credit has already posted to my account. However, I have heard that if the $50 credit is applied, then the charge is not eligible to earn 5X UR points. Is this a YMMV-type situation, or is it pretty set in stone? I would definitely give back the $50 if it meant earning 5X points as the balance that I charged to the card was nearly$2000. Thanks to anyone who knows!
It only takes ~3 days for the UR points to post. Go into your account and look at Rewards Activity & see if you received 5 UR for $$ spent. If you got less you could cancel & rebook the trip. The $50 credit is already earned, even if you cancel. Chase will not claw that back.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 5:57 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, CET Diamond, MGM Gold
Hi philemer, thank you for the quick reply and suggestion. I went to my Chase account and didn't see the UR points posted (I made the reservation on 12/19). When I went back into the portal to cancel and rebook, the rate had increased by slightly more than $100/night -- arrrgghh! I'll keep looking and hopefully the rate will drop again, otherwise this will serve as a teachable moment. Thanks again and have a great 2024
Old Jan 20, 2024, 9:43 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Discussion continues here: Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2024-)
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.