Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2021, 2:24 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by xooz
....Chase says her credit score is 824, .....
Do you mean the score provided by the Credit Journey feature? That's not the score that Chase uses to evaluate applications, and it's not a FICO score. Still, creditworthiness is unlikely to be the impediment. She may have the maximum amount of credit that Chase is willing to extend based on her income.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 2:28 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
Is there an end date for the CSP 100k offer?
Old Aug 23, 2021, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by mia
..... She may have the maximum amount of credit that Chase is willing to extend based on her income.
This is possible, as her business card has a high limit. Would be fine with reallocating the limit, but unclear we will get the chance.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 2:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by allseas1586
Is there an end date for the CSP 100k offer?
Yes, but right now only Chase knows what it is.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 3:57 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by friedablass
Yes, but right now only Chase knows what it is.
My CSR renews next month, and I'm debating about doing the downgrade to the Freedom Flex then applying for the CSP. With the AMEX Plat, I just don't feel like I have any need for what the CSR offers vs the CSP.

Just worried about all the UR points I've accumulated. Most likely will use them all via Hyatt someday but hate to xfer them now.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 4:12 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by allseas1586
My CSR renews next month, and I'm debating about doing the downgrade to the Freedom Flex then applying for the CSP. With the AMEX Plat, I just don't feel like I have any need for what the CSR offers vs the CSP.

Just worried about all the UR points I've accumulated. Most likely will use them all via Hyatt someday but hate to xfer them now.
You don't need to transfer now. The UR points will stay with the card after you convert -- Freedom Flex is marketed as earning "cash back" but it's treated in Chase's systems like UR points, and you can transfer points back and forth among Freedom and Sapphire cards freely. Once you open a new CSP, you'd be able to transfer the points from the CSR-turned-Flex to the new CSP and then would have the ability to transfer to partners once again.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by bgriff
Back to the original topic of the thread, my data point:

Wednesday 8/18: Converted CSR to Freedom Unlimited by phone
Sunday 8/22: Applied for CSP online using a friend's referral link, application pending
Monday 8/23: Got through to reconsideration desk (seems they are closed on Sundays), agent asked me to reconfirm income information with the exact same questions as on the application, went on hold for a while, and came back saying she had to send to another department, which was a bit concerning. But new card showed up on my Chase account a few hours later, so seems like everything is in order.

I was surprised that Chase gave me "new" credit for the CSP, rather than reallocating some of the high credit line on the former CSR account (as they had done without my intervention the last time I opened a new Chase card, in December), but my income is up slightly since then so I guess they decided I was due a bit more spending room.

Like someone else who posted, I don't see a tracker for the $4k spend yet, but hopefully that appears soon.
Calls to the recon line always give me anxiety.
Considering calling them but was just hoping that app would just go through.
It is so rare that I get an instant approval no matter how good my credit.
Any reports on how long the manual review process is these days?
There should be no problem other than perhaps credit line max rearranging that I figure they will do on their own.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 9:55 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by mrkymark
Calls to the recon line always give me anxiety.
Considering calling them but was just hoping that app would just go through.
It is so rare that I get an instant approval no matter how good my credit.
Any reports on how long the manual review process is these days?
There should be no problem other than perhaps credit line max rearranging that I figure they will do on their own.
Yeah, under normal circumstances I probably just would have waited and they would have rearranged credit lines without my intervention -- that's what happened when I applied for the Hyatt card in December. But I was anxious about the potential end of the 100K bonus (I think in theory since I originally applied with the bonus offer, I should have gotten it even if final approval happened later, but I didn't want to take any chances).
Old Aug 27, 2021, 7:57 am
RNE

Originally Posted by xooz
...signup online, it said she would be denied ...Chase says her credit score is 824...
If you're talking about the Chase Credit Journey score, that isn't necessarily the score Chase used, nor is credit score the only factor in approval/denial decisions. Other potential factors: income, employment history, other debts, frequency of applications, credit history length, credit mix, banking relationship, and so on. Anyway, good luck.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know WHEN the sign up bonus tracker would show up in Ultimate Reward site?

Spouse used my referral link to apply 3 weeks ago. Had to call to get credit line reallocation for approval. I already saw the referral bonus shown in my UR account as pending for the next statement. Yet the sign up bonus tracker remains no show in his UR account. His first statement is Sept 9th, fwiw.

For my own card I cannot remember when I have seen it showing up in my UR account but it does show up, telling me the progress I have made... I would like to see his tracker showing up.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 7:32 pm

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
I know one sure fire way is to use the Chase app. Have him download it if he doesn't already have it. Choose the CSP in the menu if more than one card, scroll past the recent transactions section, the "your new account bonus" immediately follows and shows amount spent of the $4k spend. Hope that helps.
GUWonder, Happy and bgriff like this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elsenor
I know one sure fire way is to use the Chase app. Have him download it if he doesn't already have it. Choose the CSP in the menu if more than one card, scroll past the recent transactions section, the "your new account bonus" immediately follows and shows amount spent of the $4k spend. Hope that helps.
Thank a lot! Indeed it shows right under the transactions in the app with the deadline date.

PS
I found it - there are options at the top of the screen - personal is default, then there is a business tab... duh

The only odd thing is, the app only shows personal accounts (both banking and cards) even though the log in is a business log in (Chase online account has all business and personal accounts under single business account log in.) Any explanation to such? I cannot find a way to show both business and personal accounts.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 30, 2021 at 7:01 am
Old Aug 30, 2021, 3:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
Thank a lot! Indeed it shows right under the transactions in the app with the deadline date.

PS
I found it - there are options at the top of the screen - personal is default, then there is a business tab... duh

The only odd thing is, the app only shows personal accounts (both banking and cards) even though the log in is a business log in (Chase online account has all business and personal accounts under single business account log in.) Any explanation to such? I cannot find a way to show both business and personal accounts.
At the top of the app I can toggle between personal and business. It won't show both types of accounts at once on one page, but you can switch between your personal and business accounts but hitting personal or business.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Do you mean the score provided by the Credit Journey feature? That's not the score that Chase uses to evaluate applications, and it's not a FICO score. Still, creditworthiness is unlikely to be the impediment. She may have the maximum amount of credit that Chase is willing to extend based on her income.
As it turns out, my wife has the original Chase Sapphire NAF card still active. Chase denied the application for the CSP because of that. I was unaware that you have to cancel any Sapphire card to get a different Sapphire type card ... At least that's what the phone agent said.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 12:31 pm
Original Member

Yes, its true you can't have another active open Sapphire card to apply for another Sapphire card. However, rather than cancel Sapphire NAF, you can downgrade it to a Flex Unlimited VISA card (keeps same card number as Sapphire NAF and allows you to keep your Ultimate Rewards in tact). Then wait 4-5 days and apply for CSP. If you cancel Sapphire NAF card, you need to wait 30 days to apply for another Sapphire product.
GUWonder likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.