Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2021, 8:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Vcize
....eligible for the CSP sign-up bonus after 30 days.
This would be correct if you had closed the Sapphire Reserve, but if you changed it to a Freedom card it takes 4 days for Chase's system to reflect that you are no longer a Sapphire card holder.
Vcize likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 9:48 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Chris58
Rather than cancel the account, it's better to PC, ("Product Change"), the no-fee Sapphire to any Freedom you prefer, wait 4 days and then apply for a new CSP.
Not necessarily "better," just an option to consider. And it's worth noting that PC'ing to any card with a SUB (e.g. Freedom) may be ill advised.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I wouldn’t call a PC just an option any more than getting vaccinated for Covid. Unless there is something truly compelling against it, it’s generally a far better deal. Then again, I am biased given that I have never closed a card.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 11:52 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
I consider a PC to be a “last resort” strategy. Unless there’s a compelling reason, it’s generally a surrender, sacrificing a perfectly good SUB. However, it's worth noting that PC'ing to a card with a small SUB (e.g. Freedom) may be a small sacrifice toward the greater good. Of course I’m biased, having often been (prior to 5/24) LOL/24 and having closed about 220 cards (out of ~240* cards and ~170 SUBs). Different strokes for different folks.

(* ~ 65 cards before I became enlightened to the euphoria of miles and points churning. )

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Jul 21, 2021 at 11:58 am
Old Jul 21, 2021, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by mia
This would be correct if you had closed the Sapphire Reserve, but if you changed it to a Freedom card it takes 4 days for Chase's system to reflect that you are no longer a Sapphire card holder.
Actually I cancelled my CSR, and was able to apply and be approved for the CSP only 7 days later.

An ad for the CSP appeared in the "Just for you" offer listing on my account after 7 days, so I went for it.
mia and Happy like this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 4:56 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by RNE
Not necessarily "better," just an option to consider. And it's worth noting that PC'ing to any card with a SUB (e.g. Freedom) may be ill advised.
I have a different take on that point. PC is a no cost exit strategy. When someone PC to a Freedom card with a small SUB (typically around $200), they just give up the opportunity to earn that extra $200. But they also preserved a valuable 5/24 slot. For me, I would not use up a 5/24 slot for only $200. I want more for each of those slot.
darthbimmer and WasKnown like this.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 12:01 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EdofFX
I have a different take on that point. PC is a no cost exit strategy. When someone PC to a Freedom card with a small SUB (typically around $200), they just give up the opportunity to earn that extra $200. But they also preserved a valuable 5/24 slot. For me, I would not use up a 5/24 slot for only $200. I want more for each of those slot.
Agree. Totally depends if you want to churn or build a system and be done with it.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by RNE
A very valid point to consider if holding a card product precludes the applicant from getting a new card SUB for that specific card product.

Personally my "Bribery Point" for opening a new credit card account is $500. I opened a Flex as a new account last October because I considered the SUB as 80K UR and I recall reading if you PC'd a Chase card to that product you couldn't get the SUB for a new account of the same product.

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Unless there’s a compelling reason
My PC recommendation is simply a FICO score thing for those who haven't studied the subject.

Obviously, a churner at your level is NEVER going to get to the top Bucket/Segment of +10 year AAoA/AAooA, so who really cares, LOL,,, LOL...
Old Jul 22, 2021, 6:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
My spouse applied for this card 10ish days ago. She got the "needs more time" message. We didn't think about it for while until I logged in the other day and saw a new card with a $20K+ line. Two days later, we get an letter from Chase saying we need to "verify that the application is yours". I'm assuming this has already been approved, but I'll probably have her call anyway.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Completely agree, I would never burn a 5/24 slot on these low end cards, would much rather focus on larger bonuses. That is why they make perfect PC candidates for me.

Regards
Old Jul 22, 2021, 8:15 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
… PC'd a Chase card to that product you couldn't get the SUB for a new account of the same product.
As a die-hard (but not absolute) anti-PC churner not my area but I believe that may be incorrect. I think Chase bonus restrictions for most cards are no current account of the same card and 24 or 48 months between bonuses, regardless of the current account having been opened via application or PC.

… My PC recommendation is simply a FICO score thing for those who haven't studied the subject.
Agreed, those who are too lazy or too foolish to understand should tread lightly and PC certainly has a lighter FICO footprint than application.

…Obviously, a churner at your level is NEVER going to get to the top Bucket/Segment of +10 year AAoA/AAooA, so who really cares, LOL,,, LOL...
Agree with the “who really cares” part, not because it’s unimportant but because it’s a minor factor toward FICO and because with time average age gets … wait for it ... averaged. The other part should read: Obviously, a churner at your level is ONLY going to get to the top Bucket/Segment of +10 year AAoA/AAooA by understanding that this game is a marathon, not a sprint.

(While I understand that average account age is a factor, I didn’t realize +10 year AAoA/AAooA is the “top Bucket/Segment”, I thought bigger, I mean longer, is better . A “churner at your level” can absolutely have a top segment average age. Based partially on 2 accounts that are 38 years old (should be 3 but one credit union PC 10 years ago resulted in a new open date) and shifting to mostly business applications my average age a year ago when I had gotten to 1/24 (sarcastic HT to COVID ) was 16 years and even now at 4/24 it’s 11 years.)

… Personally my "Bribery Point" for opening a new credit card account is $500.
Although I don’t have an absolute line in the sand, agreed. It’s why I wrote: “PC'ing to a card with a small SUB (e.g. Freedom) may be a small sacrifice toward the greater good” (greater good being overall individual points and miles earning, not greater good of the community).

… Personally my "Bribery Point" for opening a new credit card account is $500.
… PC is a no cost exit strategy. … not use up a 5/24 slot for only $200. I want more for each of those slot.
Originally Posted by scubadu
… never burn a 5/24 slot on these low end cards, would much rather focus on larger bonuses. That is why they make perfect PC candidates …
Perzactly. That. This tangent (about PC on a CSP thread) started after posts stating “… PC'ing to any card with a SUB (e.g. Freedom) may be ill advised” and “… PC ... Unless ... something truly compelling against ... generally a far better deal.” The points, which most of those who have posted above on the subject seem to agree upon, based in good part on Chase’s 5/24 and 24/48 month restrictions, is that PC to a product with a significant SUB is undesirable because it precludes a bonus for that product for at least some period of time and PC to a small or no SUB product may sometimes be a prudent utilitarian decision.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 12:40 pm

Is that 4 days after the phonecall is made, or 4 days after you activate the new card? Because the agent told me I can use my RESERVE until I get the new Freedom in the mail and activate it.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by tvjo
Is that 4 days after the phonecall is made, or 4 days after you activate the new card? Because the agent told me I can use my RESERVE until I get the new Freedom in the mail and activate it.
No.It's four days from the date of conversion. If conversion was on 7/21 you can apply on 7/25. Also look at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...el-2020-a.html
Old Jul 22, 2021, 8:22 pm

So even though I'm still using my physical CSR card, my online account now shows the Freedom, although I have not received it in the mail yet. I had the PC phonecall on Sunday night.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 5:39 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by tvjo
So even though I'm still using my physical CSR card, my online account now shows the Freedom, although I have not received it in the mail yet. I had the PC phonecall on Sunday night.
When you PC, you keep the same credit card account, it just changed to a different product. The change seems to be instant. The rep explained that the expiration date as well as the CVV on the back on the new card will change. So you may not be able to make purchases online if they ask for the expiration date or CVV. Many of my recurring charges still came through before I could make the changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.