Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2021, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Chris58

Now I just have to decide whether to pull the trigger today after 4 Calendar days, (or wait till Wednesday and 4 Business days). Decisions,, decisions,, LOL...
Process completed. Applied via the wife's link and the result and e-mail said they'd let me know ASAP.

30 minutes later decided to call the # on the after-app landing page to speed things up. Spoke to a very nice guy who confirmed why no immediate approval. At first he wasn't able to complete the re-allocation of credit I requested, (but after a short hold he was able to work through it as I requested). He said the card would be expedited without my asking.

A minute after the call ended I logged into Chase and the new card is there.

I forgot to ask about the offer terms, (but I figure if there was a problem related to either my current Sapphire status or age of last Sub, the app wouldn't have got to that point).
Old Jul 8, 2021, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by klew97
Applied and accepted last week from a friend's 100k referral, last bonus June 2016, showed up in online account same day. Physical card arrived today, verified online. I don't see the account bonus tracker on website or app. Does it appear after a while on its own or after you actually use the card, when there is spending to track? If it remains missing, does that imply there is no sign up bonus?
My wife just activated her new CSP last night. The bonus tracker did appear for her account (it showed $0 spend; the AF had already posted and it apparently doesn't count).
Old Jul 8, 2021, 12:34 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Does anyone know when the promotion for 100k points is scheduled to end?
Old Jul 8, 2021, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by cfabar1
Only Chase knows.
Robl likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 8:47 pm

Called in last week and PC’d my CSR to CFU and reduced CL to $10k. Applied today and instantly approved for 100k CSP offer using referral link.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
Called in last week and PC’d my CSR to CFU and reduced CL to $10k. Applied today and instantly approved for 100k CSP offer using referral link.
Did you happen to get a statement credit for renewing your CSR last time? I renewed in October 2020 and was given a $150 credit which I gladly accepted. I worry if downgrading my CSR to a CFU now will upset Chase, with hopes to get the 100K CSP

I booked some award travel on my CSR end of next month, so changing my CSR to a CFU now would lose trip insurance. Too bad we don’t know exactly when the CSP offer ends.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by LAX
Originally Posted by eethan
I received my Sapphire reserve signup bonus within the past year. Normally, this prevents you from getting another Sapphire signup bonus within 48 months. (I am under 5/24)

Would it be possible for my Private Client banker to help me get around this? If you think so, any data points?
Check out the dedicated CPC thread for details. From what I have read, it used to work, but not anymore.

LAX
Just to clarify, CPC used to work for 5/24, but they changed their rules several years ago, and this was long before the 48-month rule for Sapphire cards were first implemented. I don't believe CPC has ever worked for the 48-month rule.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 11:38 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by nomorecoach
Just to clarify, CPC used to work for 5/24, but they changed their rules several years ago, and this was long before the 48-month rule for Sapphire cards were first implemented. I don't believe CPC has ever worked for the 48-month rule.
You are right. I misread OP's question. I don't think there has been any report of getting around the 48-month rule, with or without CPC.

LAX
Old Jul 11, 2021, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by cab747
Did you happen to get a statement credit for renewing your CSR last time? I renewed in October 2020 and was given a $150 credit which I gladly accepted. I worry if downgrading my CSR to a CFU now will upset Chase, with hopes to get the 100K CSP
How were you given the $150 statement credit, (automatic or was it a retention credit you called about and were offered)?

I recently completed the process of PC C$R to old Freedom, (already have CFU & Flex). I then opened a new CSP for the 100k SUB.

The anniversary for my previous C$R was also 10/2020 and I got the $300 travel credit after December statement closed via grocery spend and called and got a $150 retention credit.

Literally one minute after I completed a call with the lending department to re-allocate credit for the new CSP, (since I'm at max-exposure), I logged in to Chaxe and there was a credit of $112.50 dated 10/2020 already posted to the previous C$R, (obviously a pro-rated refund for the $450 annual fee).

If Chaxe hadn't given me this credit it wouldn't have bothered me at all since I paid $0 AF for this year, (now -$112),, LOL...

I wouldn't waste much time thinking about Chaxe's happiness about their rewards card strategy, They play their game to win and we play our game to win.

Based on everything I've read about this game the biggest losers in this game are either not in the game at all, (or don't understand the game).
Old Jul 12, 2021, 12:52 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I went into the branch and they seemed only aware of the 80,000 points offer. The guy recommended I apply online and just pay the AF and id end up ahead. He’s not wrong.

I’m very nervous about applying for an offer didfeeent than what is listed. Should I try another branch? Would I get a different result?

I know about the memo allegedly posted on another website, but that seems very bizarre to me.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
Originally Posted by cfabar1
Only Chase knows.
Why state the obvious?

My guess is that it's at least until July 17 because on DoC, it reports another website that states that in-branch ends on July 17. And, in the comment section, someone wrote that on Dan's Deals, a poster was told from a Chase rep that online ends on July 15 and in-branch ends on July 17.
Also, there were emails in June that asked people to apply by July 1. Perhaps there are other emails floating around with different dates?

Hopefully, someone else can chime in with additional info.

Last edited by nomorecoach; Jul 14, 2021 at 3:38 pm
Old Jul 14, 2021, 11:41 pm

My spouse currently has the plain sapphire card (no fee). Are we still eligible for the new bonus if wee apply for CSP? Last bonus was more than 48 mos. Will cancel the no fee sapphire card first help us get the bonus? Thank you!
Old Jul 15, 2021, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by neuro0
My spouse currently has the plain sapphire card (no fee). Are we still eligible for the new bonus if wee apply for CSP? Last bonus was more than 48 mos. Will cancel the no fee sapphire card first help us get the bonus? Thank you!
Your spouse won't be eligible for a bonus without first getting rid of the no-fee Sapphire.

Rather than cancel the account, it's better to PC, ("Product Change"), the no-fee Sapphire to any Freedom you prefer, wait 4 days and then apply for a new CSP.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 8:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by neuro0
.... Are we still eligible for the new bonus....
Who will apply? You might be eligible, your spouse would not be eligible until the Sapphire card is changed or closed.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Who will apply? You might be eligible, your spouse would not be eligible until the Sapphire card is changed or closed.
My spouse applied after checking she had already PC changed her sapphire card a while ago. Her chase app said she is already preappoved. Used a referral link to apply and got the following message

We need to review your request a little longer. We will let you know of our decision as soon as possible.

I thought she will be instantly approved given she has preappoved message under her chase login.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.