Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2021, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
For some reason, I can’t open the above link. But removing the “catch-all?” part seems to help in part.

Originally Posted by jamesinclair
I have a reserve - is there anyway I can generate a referral link for the preferred? I have a family members who wants to apply for it.
Absent a downgrade/product change to get a Sapphire Preferred yourself and then send over the referral once Chase recognizes your account as a Sapphire Preferred and allows referrals for the Sapphire Preferred, the only other thing I can think of is if you know someone else who already has a Sapphire Preferred account and is willing to generate the referral link. Otherwise, I don’t know of a way to make this work for those with a Sapphire Reserve but no Sapphire Preferred.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
For some reason, I can’t open the above link.
Because the FT interface unhelpfully included the "?" in the URL. I've edited the text so it should now work.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
I had not:

We are unable to locate any offers for you at this time.

The offer you are attempting to access is not available for the card account you entered. If you have another account, please try signing in using that card's information.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Absent a downgrade/product change to get a Sapphire Preferred yourself and then send over the referral once Chase recognizes your account as a Sapphire Preferred and allows referrals for the Sapphire Preferred, the only other thing I can think of is if you know someone else who already has a Sapphire Preferred account and is willing to generate the referral link. Otherwise, I don’t know of a way to make this work for those with a Sapphire Reserve but no Sapphire Preferred.
Thats what I figured, but I thought maybe Chase would like to see the Chase family expand, and not just the specific product family. Oh well.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 3:09 am

So I started this process the morning of 6/30 by PC'ing my C$R to an old Freedom.

Frontline CSR offered me any Freedom, (which is my 3rd), so I took a second old Freedom since I already have a Flex.

Logging in 12 hours later I was surprised to see not only the product change reflected but a pro-rated refund of annual fee already posted.

Based on recent posts here the only question going forward is should I wait 4 business days and either have my wife "refer" me from her CSP or apply in Branch.

As I see it, the only difference is that since I know I'm at "Max-Exposure" with Chase, applying in branch could potentially deal with the "Re-Allocation" of credit at time of application.

Any Suggestions/Advice?
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Chris58
As I see it, the only difference is that since I know I'm at "Max-Exposure" with Chase, applying in branch could potentially deal with the "Re-Allocation" of credit at time of application.
I see no difference here vis a vis applying online vs in branch. If you're denied, you'll still need to call a Chase credit analyst to shift credit.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by beltway
The conventional wisdom is that the wait time is 4 days after a product change and 30 days after a cancellation.

User pallhedge has been very emphatic on this point. See
The other caveat is applying in-branch after a product change where 4 days doesn't seem to be enough. I don't have a ton of data points, but it looks like one needs to wait until a statement closes on the changed-product-card in order to apply in branch.
beltway likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 10:13 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Originally Posted by pallhedge
The other caveat is applying in-branch after a product change where 4 days doesn't seem to be enough. I don't have a ton of data points, but it looks like one needs to wait until a statement closes on the changed-product-card in order to apply in branch.
This! I PC'd on 6/23, went in branch on 6/30, and no CSP offer on my account. Statement won't close until July 8th. I was worried the 100K CSP offer would go away, so I went ahead an applied online yesterday and ultimately did get approved.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 10:47 am

Ok, so after I fully gave up on my own CSP, and went about my business - wheels at Chase kept spinning, evidently.
Today, I get a letter in the Chase account saying that "my request for a CSP has been denied because I already have a CSP account ending in XXXX". Ok, that was ridiculous. So, I go to the account list and just like that there is a CSP card there. I guess it somehow got approved today (but no notification of approval).

So now between my spouse and myself we have two of these that I need to quickly spend $4K each :/ And pay x2 annual fee. What a ridiculous mess that bank is. Proves that their selection algorithms make zero sense.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:05 pm

Based on recent posts here the only question going forward is should I wait 4 business days and either have my wife "refer" me from her CSP or apply in Branch.
I believe the guidance is four CALENDAR days, not business. If your old CSR was in a mobile wallet, like Samsung or Apply Pay, you'll know when Chase has updated their backend when you receive a notice that your old CSR has been updated to a Freedom in the wallet. This usually takes two business days. Then you can apply for the Preferred.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:11 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Today I received a solicitation, at my business email address, mia, You're Preapproved! Our best offer ever: Earn 100,000 bonus points...Apply by July 1, 2021.

I don't think that means the public offer will expire on 7.1.2021, but I suppose it will not end earlier.
Today I received the offer again. This time it says Apply by July 15, 2021.

Last edited by mia; Jul 1, 2021 at 1:36 pm
Old Jul 2, 2021, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Thanks for this, it settles the question as the statement won't close until the 20th, (and the referral is a better offer anyway).

Cheers.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by mia
Today I received the offer again. This time it says Apply by July 15, 2021.
I just generated a 20K referral link from my Wife's CSP and it says good for 6 months, But doesn't reference any specific offer for the "Referee"?

Odd language as well, see line below copy & pasted.

"Just make sure they use this link to apply so you can earn a bonus. It will expire in 6 months. It will expire in 6 months. By sending this link via text message, you confirm that you have consent to send text messages to each recipient"

Obviously whoever typed this out really wanted to emphasize the 6 months, (since they said it twice back-to-back), LOL,,,,

My current plan is to apply via this referral either 7/5, (4 full calendar days after PC), or 7/7, (4 full Business days after PC).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'm not concerned about Chaxe saying Boo to me, (1/24 and long history). only issue will be TL re-allocation, (which I usually just ignore and let them choose how to re-allocate).
Old Jul 3, 2021, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
I had my CSR for over 48 months, and PC'd to Freedom unlimited on 6/23. Applied on 6/30 for CSP, was approved, and got my card in the mail. I've also had a vanilla Freedom for a number of years. I know you can't APPLY for another Sapphire family card if you already hold one, but some travel blogs seem to indicate I COULD either 1) Re-upgrade my CFU to CSR since I'm under 30 days with the CFU or 2) PC my vanilla Freedom to CSR. I know I won't get any CSR bonus with PCs/upgrades, but I'd like to get the CSR benefits back. Any DPs on this scenario?
Old Jul 3, 2021, 5:22 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
I just generated a 20K referral link from my Wife's CSP and it says good for 6 months, But doesn't reference any specific offer for the "Referee"?
I just cut and paste that referral link into another tab, to see what the offer is for the referee. That was how I identify the 80K offers that I did not referred out.
mia likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 6:30 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
I wouldn't mind catching this offer before it's gone - is there anywhere I can check when I got the last sign-up bonus? I see the welcome email for my Chase Sapphire Reserve on 2017/05/15 but not when I actually got the points. Assuming it hasn't been quite 48 months yet, if I sign up now and earn the bonus in 3 months, would I still be eligible, or do you have to actually apply at least 48 months after earning the bonus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.