Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2021, 4:22 pm

Hm. Still no "progress bar" for the bonus. At what point did yall see it in your account?
Old Jun 25, 2021, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by tr3k
Hm. Still no "progress bar" for the bonus. At what point did yall see it in your account?
Approved today and no bonus tracker yet here. I think it might take some time.
tr3k likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 5:02 pm

Got official denial letter from Chase for my own application - "too much outstanding credit". Rechecked the accounts I have - a total of $50K in personal credit cards (plus 2 business cards for extra $15K). Really does not seem like much to me. Granted, none of it carries any balance - I pay in full monthly. Is that what they dislike?
Old Jun 25, 2021, 7:14 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
.... Granted, none of it carries any balance - I pay in full monthly. Is that what they dislike?
It cannot be. I prepay before they even bill me and carry credit balances all the time.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by EdofFX
It cannot be. I prepay before they even bill me and carry credit balances all the time.
As far as I can tell, cards report the balance at the time it is due (or billed? not sure). So, if I pay before then - they report essentially 0 (or whatever accrued between the payment and the reporting date). If I pay after - then they report whatever it was at the time it was billed.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by ShadowRegent
Approved today and no bonus tracker yet here. I think it might take some time.
Appeared the next day.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 7:46 am
RNE

Got official denial letter from Chase for my own application - "too much outstanding credit". Rechecked the accounts I have - a total of $50K in personal credit cards (plus 2 business cards for extra $15K). Really does not seem like much to me. Granted, none of it carries any balance - I pay in full monthly. Is that what they dislike?
No, Chase doesn't mind that you pay in full every month. The bank cares (as it told you) that you have all the credit they're willing to extend. Outstanding credit is a risk to banks because anyone could go hog wild and buy, say, investment-grade diamonds, then flee. Thus, what Chase is implicitly telling you is that it's willing to risk letting you flee with $65,000 worth of diamonds, but no more.

You might try asking Chase to lower the credit limits on one (or several) of your cards. Then, after a week or so, apply again. Good luck.

RNE, not sure why the progress bar is important to you; it's just a doodad.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by RNE
No, Chase doesn't mind that you pay in full every month. The bank cares (as it told you) that you have all the credit they're willing to extend. Outstanding credit is a risk to banks because anyone could go hog wild and buy, say, investment-grade diamonds, then flee. Thus, what Chase is implicitly telling you is that it's willing to risk letting you flee with $65,000 worth of diamonds, but no more.
The amount I mentioned above is my total available credit with all banks, not with Chase alone.

Perhaps they are considering that total amount of outstanding credit to be too high. However, that's odd because that amount is lower (much lower, in fact) than in the years past (when I was more actively pursuing credit card bonuses and such).

I currently have a single card with Chase, with $6K limit. Until a few years ago I had several Chase cards (Ink, UA MP, something else) with a total limit of 30-40K (they tend to assign crazy high initial credit limits, which I usually lower later on).

All other things are unchanged or improved over the course of 10+ years - credit score, payment history, income etc. So, based on the facts I don't see how their explanation makes sense.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
I currently have a single card with Chase, with $6K limit. Until a few years ago I had several Chase cards (Ink, UA MP, something else) with a total limit of 30-40K (they tend to assign crazy high initial credit limits, which I usually lower later on).
Don't know, but now you might be getting warmer. Perhaps there's something they didn't like in the past usage (MS'ing perhaps). Why were your other Chase cards closed?
Old Jun 26, 2021, 3:47 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by txpenny
Perhaps there's something they didn't like in the past usage (MS'ing perhaps).
Except the denial letter said what Chase didn't like: "too much outstanding credit."
Old Jun 26, 2021, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by RNE
Except the denial letter said what Chase didn't like: "too much outstanding credit."
Would Chase state "previously unsatisfactory relationship" or choose something less inflammatory?
Old Jun 26, 2021, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by EdofFX
No, I did not ask for refund a portion of the CSR annual fee. I had used up my $300 travel credit and the Global entry refund, so I guess there is little left to refund. My renewal month is September around the corner anyway.

I don't think you can have two Sapphire cards at the same time.
The travel credit and Global Entry benefit have nothing to do with the annual fee. You should expect to see a pro-rated refund of your annual fee. It's automatic upon product change.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 5:26 pm

I should be well under that, methinks. Although not sure what Chase thinks my income is, as they did not ask this time. I wonder.
Well, won't ask then. Some other time.
Did you apply with or w/o logging in? Maybe the income set in your profile is wrong? (I just checked mine and it's blank). But if you applied w/o logging in, I would think they would have asked for income.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 5:56 pm

Don't know, but now you might be getting warmer. Perhaps there's something they didn't like in the past usage (MS'ing perhaps). Why were your other Chase cards closed?
Because UA MP became useless to me, and I don't like to keep too many credit cards and pay annual fees, unless absolutely necessary. So, closed, got my Amex and Citi and moved on.
I never attempted any "manufactured spend" or other such silly games - simply do not have the time or the energy. At most, I applied for a card here or there when it had a decent bonus available (as is the case now - 100K UA miles will get me a decent o/w ticket somewhere).

Originally Posted by RNE
Would Chase state "previously unsatisfactory relationship" or choose something less inflammatory?
It is conceivable that they don't want to state the "real reason" and instead come up with an arbitrary bs, that is impossible to prove or disprove.

Originally Posted by libralibra
Did you apply with or w/o logging in? Maybe the income set in your profile is wrong? (I just checked mine and it's blank). But if you applied w/o logging in, I would think they would have asked for income.
Applied for this card logged in. The income field in the profile is always blank, btw. Even if you set it correctly - it still shows up blank afterwards. At the minimum, Chase should have the income I provided back 5-7 years ago for the old cards. If that was sufficient back then (with the higher total credit limits), should certainly be sufficient now.

Anyhow, my SOs card will work just as well. So, moving on, until the next time.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 9:04 am

I applied fri got a pending called asked to move credit around then told 24-48 hours for security to approve, call today they say 1 to 2 weeks in the mail ,I don't see it either pending online anyone knows what this means?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.