Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2021, 2:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I gave SM a shot asking to match SUB to the current 100k. Was denied as well, no surprise there.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I already have a Sapphire Preferred card in my personal name, only 9 months old. Can I apply for one in the name of my business or is this just a personal Sapphire? My business has a different tax number.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 9:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by susiesan
I already have a Sapphire Preferred card in my personal name, only 9 months old. Can I apply for one in the name of my business or is this just a personal Sapphire? My business has a different tax number.
It's a personal card.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 8:52 am

Based on a prior secure message with Chase few months ago "You will be eligible to apply after 6/10 because you received the bonus on June 10, 2017 closing statement." I know the common sense is to wait until tomorrow at least but the issue is I want the card soon as I have big spending must be done by 6/15. I am planning to go to branch so I can try my luck with the annual fee waived. I fear if I apply in branch tomorrow 6/11 which will be Friday late in the day after my work, then I might not be able to expedite it because of the weekend and might not be able to get the card on time by 6/15.
How Chase is strict in terms of 48 months? Can I apply today 6/10?
Old Jun 10, 2021, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Quick question, sorry if it’s been posted and answered.. i did go back about three weeks to try and find an answer..;-)

Is one eligible for the CSP with this bonus and if one has a CSR (that received a bonus) from back in Jan 2017, which is more than 48 months ago, or is the 48 month minimum window back to August 2018, when Chase changed the window from 24 to 48 months?

If I’m eligible now, can one keep the CSR or does one have to downgrade it in order to sign up for the CSP and receive the bonus? Ultimately, I’d rather just sign up for the CSP and get he bonus and keep both cards for the time being.

And finally, if one does get this bonus 100K, does it pool with the other Chase Rewards points that are in my CSR related account, or is there some action one has to do to transfer those points to the CSR linked account for the best Chase portal redemption rates?

TIA
Old Jun 10, 2021, 11:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by nmenaker

Is one eligible for the CSP with this bonus
To be eligible you (a) cannot hold ANY Sapphire branded card -and- (b) cannot have received any Sapphire bonus in the past 48 months -and- (c) cannot have opened more than four personal cards, from all issuers, in the past 24 months.

You must downgrade or close your existing Sapphire card. Downgrading is typically simpler. See here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...el-2020-a.html
Old Jun 10, 2021, 11:41 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Any word on when the 100k offer will end? I've gor a refinance going on right now and don't want to mess with that with a credit check. Rather wait until we close and then take advantage of the offer.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by good_boy_1234
Based on a prior secure message with Chase few months ago "You will be eligible to apply after 6/10 because you received the bonus on June 10, 2017 closing statement." I know the common sense is to wait until tomorrow at least but the issue is I want the card soon as I have big spending must be done by 6/15. I am planning to go to branch so I can try my luck with the annual fee waived. I fear if I apply in branch tomorrow 6/11 which will be Friday late in the day after my work, then I might not be able to expedite it because of the weekend and might not be able to get the card on time by 6/15.
How Chase is strict in terms of 48 months? Can I apply today 6/10?
I would try. I've seen approval data points that lead me to believe that you actually become eligible 48 months + a few days after meeting the $4,000 minimum spend. In addition, if you're declined due to being short of 48 months, there's no hard pull, so no real downside to possibly jumping the gun.
good_boy_1234 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 4:22 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by carlitos
Excellent news, Chase Freedom it is, the Visa old version. Thanks!!!
Considering someone else here said they were not allowed to downgrade to the Visa Freedom, I just downgraded my CSR to the Visa Freedom without any problems. My card number stayed the same due to it being a Visa, and already activated the Gas and Home Improvement Stores 5% category for the second quarter of the year. So didn't have to go the Freedom Flex route and now only have the Freedom and Freedom Unlimited. Just waiting for Tuesday to go into my branch and apply for the 100K UR Points offer plus no annual fee for the first year on the Sapphire Preferred. Wow, reminds me of 2016 when the Sapphire Reserved was launched!!!
Old Jun 10, 2021, 4:56 pm

Can someone give a quick opinion? I'm at 4/24 - been waiting for a great offer to get the 5th and this is definitely it for me. However, 3 of my 4 in the last two years are other Chase cards (Ink Business, United Business, Southwest RR Plus). All 3 are still open.and the United Business I just got last month. Am I likely to be denied because Chase will see I've been heavily applying for their cards? Also, for the 3 years proceeding the last 24 months I have very few Chase cards, if that helps at all. Would really appreciate any advice, thanks!!
Old Jun 10, 2021, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
A couple of questions:

(1) I just applied online and was shown the "we need a few more days" screen. In my experience, this is because I have multiple cards with them and they are concerned about total credit line, and/or my address looks odd (it's a UPS store box) and they want some utility statements or such. Should I wait before calling?

(2) I have some estimated taxes due the 15th that would be a nice way to hit the sign-up bonus spend. How soon can I get card number to use for a charge?
Old Jun 10, 2021, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by pallhedge
I would try. I've seen approval data points that lead me to believe that you actually become eligible 48 months + a few days after meeting the $4,000 minimum spend. In addition, if you're declined due to being short of 48 months, there's no hard pull, so no real downside to possibly jumping the gun.
Thank you.
DP: So I went to try my luck in a branch. The banker opened my file (I have accounts with Chase) but he could not find the sapphire preferred card in the choices in my profile but was able to find other cards choices like Slate, United...etc! So he suggested to apply online! I told him if he can print me the current offer they have, he went and printed the paperwork and told me "oh I remember, we no longer able to have in branch applications for Sapphire family." Regardless, the paperwork he printed still says 80K, 50 grocery and first year waived. So I am confused with the issue that happened, it could be one of two:
1) Today 6/10 marks my 4th year since the closing statement of bonus 6/10/2017, so this might be the cause that he was unable to find sapphire choice in my profile, but also does not make sense because I heard from people on the web that if you are ineligible the system would tell you when you submit your application. Also, many confirmed that the sign up bonus date is before the closing statement date so theoretically 6/10/2021 is after 4 years from 6/10/2017.
2) If Chase is freezing in branch applications until they have the updated signup bonus of 100K in order to avoid getting the 80K, 50 grocery and first year waived then later on 20K....
I do not know which one honestly...
Old Jun 11, 2021, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by d.s. knight
...I'm at 4/24... Ink Business, United Business...
Are you aware that those two cards do not add to your 5/24 count?
Old Jun 11, 2021, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by nomorecoach
Thank you.
Another question: How long do you have to wait for the ability to generate a referral link, once you're approved for the Preferred and the account appears in your account page? Is it immediate?
Can you report back on Monday? I'm also playing the 4 day waiting game since I did the product change today. I'd like to knock it out on Tuesday.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by anabolism
A couple of questions:

(1) I just applied online and was shown the "we need a few more days" screen. In my experience, this is because I have multiple cards with them and they are concerned about total credit line, and/or my address looks odd (it's a UPS store box) and they want some utility statements or such. Should I wait before calling?

(2) I have some estimated taxes due the 15th that would be a nice way to hit the sign-up bonus spend. How soon can I get card number to use for a charge?
My, and my wife's, experience is that the "need a few more days" comment equates to a 6-8 day wait. If you don't want to wait that long your best hope is to call & see if they have any questions for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.