Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2021, 5:46 pm

I was approved and received the card 3 weeks ago but I am unable to generate a referral link. When I try it says it’s not available for my card. How long do you have to have the card before you can generate referrals.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 5:59 pm

I was approved for the card on 6/21, and received it today, 6/28. On the app, there's a new account bonus section saying the spending needs to be done by 9/21. I understood that Chase generally gave extra time based on the time needed to receive the card, and that week in September, at the end of a trip to Italy, could be important if I try to have most of the qualifying spending be 2X travel purchases. Do you think that, if I message Chase, they'll clarify with a later spending deadline?
Old Jun 28, 2021, 6:59 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by Robl
I was approved and received the card 3 weeks ago but I am unable to generate a referral link. When I try it says it’s not available for my card. How long do you have to have the card before you can generate referrals.
For me, it was about two days.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by rove312
I was approved for the card on 6/21, and received it today, 6/28. On the app, there's a new account bonus section saying the spending needs to be done by 9/21. I understood that Chase generally gave extra time based on the time needed to receive the card, and that week in September, at the end of a trip to Italy, could be important if I try to have most of the qualifying spending be 2X travel purchases. Do you think that, if I message Chase, they'll clarify with a later spending deadline?
Chase used to give 103++ days to meet min. spend. Send a SM and ask what they show as the actual date.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by pallhedge
The travel credit and Global Entry benefit have nothing to do with the annual fee. You should expect to see a pro-rated refund of your annual fee. It's automatic upon product change.
Thanks. I checked the last statement, I did received a pro rated refund of the CSR annual fee, about 3 months worth.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by rove312
Originally Posted by philemer
Chase used to give 103++ days to meet min. spend. Send a SM and ask what they show as the actual date.
Consistent experience in our household over the past year or so is it's a hard cap at 3 months, past practice notwithstanding.
Happy likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
Consistent experience in our household over the past year or so is it's a hard cap at 3 months, past practice notwithstanding.

Thanks for your data point. I just sent a SM to Chase to see how long I have with my new CSP. Will report back.
Also, back in the day, charges made on the card 4-5 days before the closing date would not post/count toward min. spend.. This may still be true as charges are usually "pending" for a few days before they post/count.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by tr3k
Really does not seem like much to me.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but in any new credit app it only matters how it "Seems" to the lender.

Originally Posted by tr3k
As far as I can tell, cards report the balance at the time it is due (or billed? not sure).
Generally speaking Credit card lenders report to credit bureaus the amount owed as of the closing date of the billing cycle. There are some very rare instances where CC lenders make "Mid-Cycle Reports" to the Credit Bureaus, (but Chase isn't one of these).

If you always pay your credit cards in full every month and want to make yourself look as good as possible to a lender simply pay all your credit cards in full prior to the account's billing cycle closing date, (but always allow exactly ONE revolving account to close with a very small balance because ZERO revolving accounts with a balance is a net negative under the FICO score algorithms).
Old Jun 29, 2021, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by EdofFX
Data point for the PC and apply process:

1. I PC'd my CSR to a Freedom card last Saturday, the existing credit limit also got transferred over.
2. I requested a reduction of the credit limit on my new Freedom card by 15K yesterday, and they did that overnight.
3. The CSP card appeared in the "just for you" section of my account today. So four business days from the PC.
4. I unfreezed my credit report and then applied for the CSP this afternoon, and was instantly approved
5. The new CSP card immediately appeared in my account. (I still have not received the Freedom card from the PC yet)
I plan to play this same game, (C$R opened 4Q 2016 for 100K SUB).

I'm just curious what Freedom you PC'd your C$R to, (Old original Freedom, Flex, or Freedom Unlimited)?

I'd love another old Freedom, (but I opened a Flex last October and I seem to recall you can't have two of this product)?

I also know I'm at "Max Exposure" with Chase and this doesn't concern me, (but does anyone else reading this know if I asked Chase to reduce the CL of one of my Business cards it might result in a "Backdoor" way of transferring business TL to personal TL availability)?
Old Jun 29, 2021, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Chris58
I'm just curious what Freedom you PC'd your C$R to, (Old original Freedom, Flex, or Freedom Unlimited)?

I'd love another old Freedom, (but I opened a Flex last October and I seem to recall you can't have two of this product)?
I PC'd to Freedom Unlimited, but I think everyone's need is different. I already have the old Freedom and the Freedom Flex. So I already have 2x the limit for the quarterly bonus in any category. It is slightly better for me to have the option of 1.5 point for everyday spend that have no extra bonus.

I would love to have a second Freedom Flex if the $12,000 grocery bonus for the first year is still around. Unfortunately, they took away that for new applicants.

I think you can still PC to Freedom Flex if you already have one, basically on earlier reports. I don't know if the old Freedom is better than the Freedom Flex, FF seems to have the exact same bonus categories as the old Freedom.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Chris58
Please don't take this the wrong way, but in any new credit app it only matters how it "Seems" to the lender.
May be - but it still has to follow *some* logic. If someone has a low credit to income ratio, perfect payment history, high credit score etc. etc. - it does not seem logical to deny additional credit due to "outstanding credit being too high". There must be a different reason.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 7:58 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Ijones027
I applied fri got a pending called asked to move credit around then told 24-48 hours for security to approve, call today they say 1 to 2 weeks in the mail ,I don't see it either pending online anyone knows what this means?
Call again ASAP.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Robl
What is the advantage of referral links?
Old Jun 29, 2021, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
Originally Posted by philemer
Thanks for your data point. I just sent a SM to Chase to see how long I have with my new CSP. Will report back.
Also, back in the day, charges made on the card 4-5 days before the closing date would not post/count toward min. spend.. This may still be true as charges are usually "pending" for a few days before they post/count.
Just heard back and it is, in fact, 3 months from my approval date. They wrote: Charges must post by September 15, 2021, to be eligible for the bonus..
beltway likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by sciconf
What is the advantage of referral links?
you get 20000 points for each person who signs up fir the card. Mine is working now because it turns out my last name is robl MD not robl.

Last edited by Robl; Jun 29, 2021 at 5:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.