Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2023, 11:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by enzian
If they cancel a flight on same day due to weather, do they put you on an alternate flight? Now I am worried about our Wednesday flight from Bologna to London.
Yes, and it's the law.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Mike P
Is that true for those flights noted as cancelled for HDLY reasons above?
No, but don't be surprised if all they do is look at the date and throw a rejection claiming weather or 'operational reasons'. They will be swamped so some will inaccurately be rejected due weather. Follow the well versed process on the main thread.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 11:32 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Sigwx
No, but don't be surprised if all they do is look at the date and throw a rejection claiming weather or 'operational reasons'. They will be swamped so some will inaccurately be rejected due weather. Follow the well versed process on the main thread.
Thanks very much for the quick reply. I'm currently in the CCR hoping the later flight at least leaves on time!
Old Mar 13, 2023, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Marriott Hilton
BA1440 LHR to EDI Cancelation on Saturday 11th March

Hi all, really grateful if anyone can provide insight as to the real reason this flight was cancelled less than 16-hours before departure.

Flight Radar shows the plane allocated was G-TTND and this actually flew into LHR from Lisbon on the morning of the 11th. It arrived just over an hour late, but that obviously wouldn't have been known at the time of the cancellation. It was then at LHR for almost 3 1/2 hours then left LHR to fly to Nice and got there only 30 minutes late.

Weather at LHR and EDI on the Saturday was in no way extreme, so it's not that. We received an email 8-hours after the flight was due to depart mentioning the possibility of delays due to the French ATC strikes. But it's pretty clear from many other threads that BAs ground handling arrangements and staff shortages were a major contributor to the multiple delays on flights reported that day.

BA managed to run every other flight from LHR to EDI on the 10th, so in anticipation that they will try to wriggle out of the EC261 obligations, keen to see if anyone can help.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 12:50 pm

It is due to weather. Cleary the Island is trying to tell you something ;-)
haha indeed and thankfully no need to repeat the experience for another three weeks. EZY i rebooked myself on got me back to LGW at more or less exactly the same time my BA flight was due to fly, albeit an hour late from its original block time
Old Mar 13, 2023, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold
For the BA1399 MAN-LHR today which is circa 4hrs late, all I can find on expertflyer is “ZY” as a code.

any other people more knowledgeable know if this is able to be delay claimed for UK261 ?
Old Mar 13, 2023, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
yep I fear the worst on mine but I’ll stand firm based on the info you gave earlier including the fact the plane actually left, just without anyone.

btw I asked at the airport but noon knew what actually happened!
Old Mar 13, 2023, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by BillEaston61
BA1440 LHR to EDI Cancelation on Saturday 11th March

Hi all, really grateful if anyone can provide insight as to the real reason this flight was cancelled less than 16-hours before departure.

Flight Radar shows the plane allocated was G-TTND and this actually flew into LHR from Lisbon on the morning of the 11th. It arrived just over an hour late, but that obviously wouldn't have been known at the time of the cancellation. It was then at LHR for almost 3 1/2 hours then left LHR to fly to Nice and got there only 30 minutes late.

Weather at LHR and EDI on the Saturday was in no way extreme, so it's not that. We received an email 8-hours after the flight was due to depart mentioning the possibility of delays due to the French ATC strikes. But it's pretty clear from many other threads that BAs ground handling arrangements and staff shortages were a major contributor to the multiple delays on flights reported that day.

BA managed to run every other flight from LHR to EDI on the 10th, so in anticipation that they will try to wriggle out of the EC261 obligations, keen to see if anyone can help.
Your assumption is correct, same code as the others previously mentioned.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by RedDevil83
For the BA1399 MAN-LHR today which is circa 4hrs late, all I can find on expertflyer is “ZY” as a code.

any other people more knowledgeable know if this is able to be delay claimed for UK261 ?
Well this is actually correct. It’s all down to ‘rotational’ delay.

The aircraft picked up a 59 min delay on its way to TLS due to French ATC industrial action but arrived just 54 mins adrift. The return was subject to a 113 minute delay due to ATC as a result of LHR weather, arriving back in LHR 156 mins late.

Next up was BA1394 to take the aircraft to MAN which is now subject to zero ATC delay but has issues due to the lack of ramp teams at LHR, plus the delay being carried from the first two sectors. An additional 41 minutes is allocated due to late transfer baggage and late loading team, a combination of the two. On stand in MAN at 1709 vs the scheduled 1355.

The 1399 is now purely a rotational delay. The root cause is a combo of ATC industrial action and ATC delays due Heathrow weather and then the subsequent lack of LHR resources. However, BA could have chosen to swap out airframes and have additional crews in its cadre ready and waiting on standby to jump into action to minimise delays. There had been plenty of sectors cancelled due to a lack of Heathrow staff prior to the weather effects really taking bite. BA chooses not to do this for purely commercial reasons and given BA 1394 was not subject to any ATC restrictions, this is eligible for compensation I’d argue.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
BA428 LHR-AMS Tue 14th March

Just been notified that my flight to AMS tomorrow morning has been cancelled. Would be very grateful if someone could find the reason

been offered a flight three hours later and as this is a connection after Riyadh-London (hopefully boarding soon) UK261 becomes a thought if eligible
Old Mar 13, 2023, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Ned1968
Just been notified that my flight to AMS tomorrow morning has been cancelled. Would be very grateful if someone could find the reason

been offered a flight three hours later and as this is a connection after Riyadh-London (hopefully boarding soon) UK261 becomes a thought if eligible
HDLY so certainly in scope, especially given your new scheduled arrival into AMS, which will no doubt be hit by some additional weather based delay tomorrow, but the route cause is HDLY so perfectly eligible.
Ned1968 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 2:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson Gold
My flight to BRU -BA402- tomorrow afternoon has been cancelled. I got on the BA398 and can only hope it goes ahead!
Old Mar 13, 2023, 2:45 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Gold, A3 Gold
Ba743 gva-lhr

Would be so grateful if anyone could provide some input into the cancellation reason for todays (13/3) BA743 service GVA-LHR. Unfortunately unable to get rebooked onto same day evening services on BA or LX.

Doesn’t look to be weather related based on the app, but would really appreciate any input!
Old Mar 14, 2023, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Jeff831
Would be so grateful if anyone could provide some input into the cancellation reason for todays (13/3) BA743 service GVA-LHR. Unfortunately unable to get rebooked onto same day evening services on BA or LX.

Doesn’t look to be weather related based on the app, but would really appreciate any input!
This was also due to HDLY so eligible for 261
Old Mar 14, 2023, 2:31 am

Cancellation codes 14th March

I’m off to go fly, makes a change I know. In the mean time here are todays known cancellations.

OPEN - operational but known about and actioned some time ago
HDLY - lack of staff
INDN - Industrial Action
TECY - Aircraft tech. Departure LHR codes

BA 428 LHR-AMS HDLY

BA 1450 LHR-EDI HDLY

BA 902 LHR-FRA HDLY

BA 936 LHR-DUS HDLY

BA 372 LHR-TLS INDN

BA 1444 LHR-EDI HDLY

BA 726 LHR-GVA INDN

BA 392 LHR-BRU OPEN

BA 540 LHR-BLQ OPEN

BA 1322 LHR-ABZ HDLY

BA 1434 LHR-EDI OPEN

BA 632 LHR-ATH OPEN

BA 438 LHR-AMS HDLY

BA 716 LHR-ZRH INDN

BA 402 LHR-BRU HDLY

BA 836 LHR-DUB HDLY

BA 818 LHR-CPH HDLY

BA 750 LHR-BSL INDN

BA 680 LHR-IST OPEN

BA 960 LHR-MUC HDLY

BA 838 LHR-DUB OPEN

BA 596 LHR-VCE OPEN

BA 1492 LHR-GLA HDLY

BA 742 LHR-GVA INDN

BA 181 LHR-EWR TECY

BA 352 LHR-NCE OPEN

BA 946 LHR-DUS OPEN

BA 157 LHR-KWI OPEN

ARRIVAL LHR CODES

BA 947 MUC-LHR OPEN

BA 597 VCE-LHR OPEN

BA 401 CAI-LHR OPEN

BA 429 AMS-LHR HDLY

BA 937 DUS-LHR HDLY

BA 903 FRA-LHR HDLY

BA 1441 EDI-LHR HDLY

BA 393 BRU-LHR OPEN

BA 373 TLS-LHR INDN

BA 1451 EDI-LHR HDLY

BA 727 GVA-LHR INDN

BA 1323 ABZ-LHR HDLY

BA 439 AMS-LHR HDLY

BA 403 BRU-LHR HDLY

BA 941 DUS-LHR OPEN

BA 591 MXP-LHR OPEN

BA 837 DUB-LHR HDLY

BA 717 ZRH-LHR INDN

BA 1493 GLA-LHR OPEN

BA 819 CPH-LHR HDLY

BA 967 HAM-LHR OPEN

BA 749 BSL-LHR INDN

BA 839 DUB-LHR OPEN

BA 1497 GLA-LHR HDLY

BA 961 MUC-LHR HDLY

BA 743 GVA-LHR INDN
flyingbee, rjn21, orbitmic and 9 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.