Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Mar 28, 2023, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Jpm81
Hi,

Got a colleague on BA295 tomorrow to ORD that's been cancelled and they've been rerouted alternatively on Wednesday.

Thx
I just asked the same. I'm now on the A380. Annoying as we don't land until late.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 1:46 am

BA 295 27th - TECY - Tech aircraft.
BA 295 28th - OPEN -
CANX DUE LACK OF AVAIL 777 CAN OPEN
BA 185 28th - OPEN -
​​​​​​​CAN OPEN CANX DUE LACK OF 777 UNITS
Not entirely sure why OPEN and not OPEY, as running out of aircraft available does have a tendency to be an airline generated problem.
PAL62V and glebrun like this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 6:11 am

Just want to check that reimbursement for the cab from JFK to EWR shouldn't be an issue? Originally booked to land at EWR. Rental car booked at EWR and wife needs to drive further into NJ, so JFK an absolute pain in the backside for her.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Could someone check for me BCN-LHR BA407 on 26 March please?

Last edited by ringingup; Mar 28, 2023 at 7:37 am
Old Mar 28, 2023, 6:37 am

Programs: BAEC: Gold Guest List
Could somebody please check BA418 today 28/03/23. Just sitting in T3 QF lounge at LHR trying to convince the call centre to reroute - and they’re saying oneworld flights only. Next one is tomorrow morning. (LHR > LUX)

The call centre are not disclosing the reason for delay when asked.

Last edited by Swadbus; Mar 28, 2023 at 6:37 am Reason: Clarification
Old Mar 28, 2023, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by PAL62V
Just want to check that reimbursement for the cab from JFK to EWR shouldn't be an issue? Originally booked to land at EWR. Rental car booked at EWR and wife needs to drive further into NJ, so JFK an absolute pain in the backside for her.
If that is what BA told her on the phone, I do see why not.
PAL62V likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by ringingup
Could someone check for me BCN-LHR BA407 on 25 March please?
407 is CAI-LHR. In any case it’ll be too late to know now with any certainty, nothing to prevent you putting in a claim though.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Swadbus
Could somebody please check BA418 today 28/03/23. Just sitting in T3 QF lounge at LHR trying to convince the call centre to reroute - and they’re saying oneworld flights only. Next one is tomorrow morning. (LHR > LUX)

The call centre are not disclosing the reason for delay when asked.
HDLY. Lack of ground/ramp staff. Do remind them of their obligations under 261 which do not permit BA to claim their are only obliged to use OW carriers. Should help skip through the prompt sheet they all go through on the phone. Then expect to be put on hold whilst it is escalated for authorisation to proceed to use alternative routings. From what I have gathered here what happened next depends on endorsements or ability to release your ticket/flight segment. Either the Segment is released to the alternative carrier and you keep the same PNR, or they book you a new segment and you get a brand new PNR. I stand to be corrected on that though.

Last edited by Sigwx; Mar 28, 2023 at 7:12 am
Old Mar 28, 2023, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC: Gold Guest List
Originally Posted by Sigwx
HDLY. Lack of ground/ramp staff. Do remind them of their obligations under 261 which do not permit BA to claim their are only obliged to use OW carriers. Should help skip through the prompt sheet they all go through on the phone. Then expect to be put on hold whilst it is escalated for authorisation to proceed to use alternative routings. From what I have gathered here what happened next depends on endorsements or ability to release your ticket/flight segment. Either the Segment is released to the alternative carrier and you keep the same PNR, or they book you a new segment and you get a brand new PNR. I stand to be corrected on that though.
Thanks for looking!

BA call centre have refused anything other than oneworld despite insisting that they check with a supervisor.

We will ask for rooms and meals at LHR as required and go next day for the €250 each as a result. Not urgent to go tonight. As our hotels are refundable. We are getting paid for our day out in LUX so no grumbles. And will wait in the QF lounge for dinner before going to our LHR hotel.
Sigwx likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 7:35 am

407 is CAI-LHR. In any case it’ll be too late to know now with any certainty, nothing to prevent you putting in a claim though.
Not anymore. It’s BCN-LHR now.

I did meant 26 March btw. Still too late?

Last edited by ringingup; Mar 28, 2023 at 7:41 am
Old Mar 28, 2023, 7:42 am

Not anymore. It’s BCN-LHR now.

I did meant 26 March btw. Still too late?

Do you mean 407 on the 26th then?

EDIT : sorry, missed that you’d corrected the date.

Last edited by Sigwx; Mar 28, 2023 at 7:58 am
Old Mar 28, 2023, 7:43 am

Do you mean 407 on the 26th then?
Yeah.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 7:53 am

Yeah.
The previous flight arrived late, a combo of aircraft cleaning taking longer than planned and air traffic restrictions due to French ATC action. BA 406 arrived on stand in BCN 46 minutes late leaving just 4 mins for an on time departure of BA 407.

There was a cabin bag jam then led to a delay closing doors as bags needed to be placed into the hold, that said the turn around was less than an hour and the major cause of woe was the ATC slot of 1725z, again due to the industrial action being taken in France.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 8:01 am

The previous flight arrived late, a combo of aircraft cleaning taking longer than planned and air traffic restrictions due to French ATC action. BA 406 arrived on stand in BCN 46 minutes late leaving just 4 mins for an on time departure of BA 407.

There was a cabin bag jam then led to a delay closing doors as bags needed to be placed into the hold, that said the turn around was less than an hour and the major cause of woe was the ATC slot of 1725z, again due to the industrial action being taken in France.
Thanks a lot. That matches some of my understanding.

We lost the slot in BCN because of all the faff with hand luggage. The crew complained with the ground staff about not gate checking enough passengers.

I imagine that, with the ATC strike being a contributing factor, no chances of EU compensation.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Swadbus
Thanks for looking!

BA call centre have refused anything other than oneworld despite insisting that they check with a supervisor.

We will ask for rooms and meals at LHR as required and go next day for the €250 each as a result. Not urgent to go tonight. As our hotels are refundable. We are getting paid for our day out in LUX so no grumbles. And will wait in the QF lounge for dinner before going to our LHR hotel.
Hello, I was supposed to be on BA419 Today 28 March, I got a cancellation email already at 1350 (for a 2015 departure), which I did not notice until I was at the train station about to go to the airport. I guess it is the return journey of the cancelled BA418 that was asked about above - does this qualify for EU261 then, ground staff shortage caused the outbound to be cancelled ? Or is there some other reason for the 419 being cancelled? Thank you for your help.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.