Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2023, 10:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
French ATC were on strike yesterday, meaning some pretty heavy delays throughout the short haul network.

Probably a knock on from that.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 10:16 am

Programs: BA Exec Club - Gold
Originally Posted by Sigwx
The canx reason for all of the above is HDLY with the remark CANX DUE LHR RESOURCE.

In short BA has too few staff at present.

Thanks Sigwx - that's super helpful! Thank you!

Last edited by flyer_tom; Mar 12, 2023 at 10:17 am Reason: Added quote
Old Mar 12, 2023, 10:33 am

Programs: AA, BA Silver (at least for a few more months)
Good news update on my claim request

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That said, I've a feeling this will be quickly paid out. The OP should send the very shortest claim in for EC261 Delay compensation (using those words) and a brief sentence to complement the hardworking crew. BA will know the timings so just say "we were over 6 hours late into O' Hare".
Hello! Just wanted to say thank you to the FT members who replied to my post back in mid Jan about the delay reason code for my flight and whether it was eligible for delay compensation. Good news - just heard back from BA that the claim submitted has been approved for bank transfer in my local currency. I used the verbiage described above and received the BA response almost 6 weeks to the day.
Happy Travels!
Old Mar 12, 2023, 11:04 am

Can anyone give any insight into why BA1348 to Jersey this afternoon (12th) was cancelled. I have a feeling the equipment is now operating the later 1352. Expertflyer isn't giving much away unless I am missing something. Thanks

From Expertflyer
DOBA1348/12MAR
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA1348 0 SU 12MAR23
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

FLIGHT CANCELLED 0710
FLT CNX
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA1348 0 SU 12MAR23
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
LHR 1600 SU JCDRI/M YB/G 319 1:00
HKMLVNOQSG/G
JER 1700 SU 1:00
COMMENTS-
1.LHR JER - MEMBER OF ONEWORLD
2.LHR JER - DEPARTS TERMINAL 5
3.LHR JER - 9/ NON-SMOKING
4.LHR JER - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
5.LHR JER - DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPH TAKEN BY SECURITY ON DEPARTURE
6.LHR JER - CO2/PAX* 53.00 KG ECO, 53.00 KG PRE
(*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR
CONFIGURATION-
319 C 24 M 107
>
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by tom188
Can anyone give any insight into why BA1348 to Jersey this afternoon (12th) was cancelled. I have a feeling the equipment is now operating the later 1352. Expertflyer isn't giving much away unless I am missing something. Thanks

From Expertflyer
DOBA1348/12MAR
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA1348 0 SU 12MAR23
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

FLIGHT CANCELLED 0710
FLT CNX
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA1348 0 SU 12MAR23
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
LHR 1600 SU JCDRI/M YB/G 319 1:00
HKMLVNOQSG/G
JER 1700 SU 1:00
COMMENTS-
1.LHR JER - MEMBER OF ONEWORLD
2.LHR JER - DEPARTS TERMINAL 5
3.LHR JER - 9/ NON-SMOKING
4.LHR JER - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
5.LHR JER - DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPH TAKEN BY SECURITY ON DEPARTURE
6.LHR JER - CO2/PAX* 53.00 KG ECO, 53.00 KG PRE
(*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR
CONFIGURATION-
319 C 24 M 107
>
This was canx due ‘HDLY’ lack of ground/ramp staff. I did check the weather which is rather nasty there and there have been a few diversion of late it seems as a result. That said given the early hour of the day it was canx, and the code, the WX doesn’t come into it and the official reason stands as HDLY.
rjn21, thomasd21 and tom188 like this.

Last edited by Sigwx; Mar 12, 2023 at 12:16 pm
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by l2travel2
Hello! Just wanted to say thank you to the FT members who replied to my post back in mid Jan about the delay reason code for my flight and whether it was eligible for delay compensation. Good news - just heard back from BA that the claim submitted has been approved for bank transfer in my local currency. I used the verbiage described above and received the BA response almost 6 weeks to the day.
Happy Travels!
Glad to hear you had a positive resolution, thank you for updating us.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:21 pm

Programs: United GS, BAEC GGL, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Jpm81
Can someone confirm the reason for the cancellation of this tonight - was cancelled at 18.45 just as i was headed to the airport!
Is someone able to see what the expert flyer reason code for the cancellation of 8739 on Wed 8th March was?

I ended up having to pay more to book myself on LH the following morning so not sure if it comes under EC261 for the difference in fare as BA simply told me my original itinerary was cancelled.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:24 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Originally Posted by nh1980
Would anyone kindly have the reason for cancellation of todays BUD-LHR (BA867)? Reroute from 6.35pm departure today to 7.40am tomorrow…
I’ve had a look at FR24 for the history of my flight/aircraft, I’m guessing it’s because FCO-LHR (G-EUUF) arrived too late at LHR so they cancelled its next run which was the 866 to BUD and therefore the 867 back to London. The aircraft itself seemed to have been reallocated to a NCL run..none the wiser as to what reason they will attribute though ha
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by nh1980
Would anyone kindly have the reason for cancellation of todays BUD-LHR (BA867)? Reroute from 6.35pm departure today to 7.40am tomorrow…

HDLY again. Insufficient staff to turn the aircraft around. Eligible for 261
rjn21, nh1980 and thomasd21 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:31 pm

Is someone able to see what the expert flyer reason code for the cancellation of 8739 on Wed 8th March was?

I ended up having to pay more to book myself on LH the following morning so not sure if it comes under EC261 for the difference in fare as BA simply told me my original itinerary was cancelled.
Weather issues I’d assume given the foul weather over London and the rather limiting minima for LCY.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:43 pm

Programs: United GS, BAEC GGL, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Sigwx
Weather issues I’d assume given the foul weather over London and the rather limiting minima for LCY.
I had been keeping an eye on the inbound flight and there had been delays of about an hour through the day but then that increased in the evening but would have been when weather was supposed to be a bit better.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/g-lcyj

Just wondering if it would qualify for EC261 to cover the rebook myself rather than necessarily any compensation for the late cancellation of the flight.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 1:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC
I had been keeping an eye on the inbound flight and there had been delays of about an hour through the day but then that increased in the evening but would have been when weather was supposed to be a bit better.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/g-lcyj

Just wondering if it would qualify for EC261 to cover the rebook myself rather than necessarily any compensation for the late cancellation of the flight.
Did you get any offer of a rerouting from BA at all? Were you simply given a refund against your will? If so, then you can submit the claim for the expenses for the new flight (assuming you gave BA the chance to reroute you?). It might take a CEDR claim though. There’s an EU261 thread on the forum you could look over
Jpm81 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 1:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
Thank you! How interesting! I'd have thought some overtime would be on the cards but I suspect completley out of BA's control; or, do the Malaga shuffle to get around it and not pay hotels plus EU261... . Thank you!
Just some more context to this, the way the ATC rostering hours are regulated means that, in my understanding, there are generally only one or two controllers legally able to work any particular overtime shift, depending on the timings of the shift, and there is a high chance one or both will be on annual leave, possibly even away from the area.

There are (were ? My info is not right up to date) also rats infesting the tower building, so you might guess why some aren’t keen on spending more time there than is strictly necessary.
KARFA, atcodave and ScienceTeacher like this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 2:15 pm

Any insight as to why BA1492 to Glasgow has been cancelled? Just found out by chance after checking the app, having already checked into this flight earlier today. No notification from BA at all.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 2:19 pm

Hi, friends were supposed to be on BA479 from Barcelona to Heathrow today which was cancelled with a vague reason of operational issues which were beyond there control. Are you able to let me know what what the official reason was?
Many Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.