Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Aug 14, 2023, 5:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Shingi
Hello, I hope itís ok to ask this on here as I didnít want to start a new thread. For some while I have been keeping an eye on FR24 for LHR/JNB BA57 ETD 2125 regarding timings. We checked in last night for todayís flight 14th Aug. I usually have a look at 0800 UK time and it has always shown the registration of the A380 - but not today. It just says 380. Iíve seen comments about the shortage of long haul aircraft and am wondering if this is whatís happening today and now, 4 hours later at noon there is still no aircraft info. Many thanks.
It looks to me to be G-XLEF, which arrived from MIA this morning, about an hour late. Plenty of time until your departure at 21:25 today, and I can't see any issues so far.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Silver
Many thanks C-W-S
Old Aug 14, 2023, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Sigwx
It is due to a lack of cabin crew. Listed as CCRN so Iím assuming this was cancelled some time ago? If it was short notice then it would indeed be in scope.
Cancellation email was sent a few hours before the flight. BA responded that they will pay compensation. Why the code ends with N is anyone's guess.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Shingi
Hello, I hope itís ok to ask this on here as I didnít want to start a new thread. For some while I have been keeping an eye on FR24 for LHR/JNB BA57 ETD 2125 regarding timings. We checked in last night for todayís flight 14th Aug. I usually have a look at 0800 UK time and it has always shown the registration of the A380 - but not today. It just says 380. Iíve seen comments about the shortage of long haul aircraft and am wondering if this is whatís happening today and now, 4 hours later at noon there is still no aircraft info. Many thanks.
itís a pretty regular occurrence that FR24 doesnít show the reg of the aircraft. Our flights down to Joburg didnít have a reg allocated until a few hours before the flight.
FR24 is an externally run site. I donít see why there is a presumption that BA systems will interface timeously with FR24 100% of the time.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Sunday 13 August update
Not quite a clean sheet in the end, BA31 HKG which is an A35K and was cancelled late yesterday. Normally I'd expect it to be held overnight, which hasn't happened here, so I'm presuming that between BA and Cathay there was enough spare capacity.

Monday 14 August 2023
Just one so far: BA1488 GLA.
BA has 327 departures from LHR today.

FCRY for the 31 and TECY for the 1488.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 12:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Monday 14 August update
One other flight got cancelled late yesterday:
BA920 STR
I don't know the reason but looking at the estimated departure time it looks to me very close to curfew timings.

Tuesday 15 August 2023
BA724 GVA
BA1324 NCL
BA948 MUC
These are all early departures, before 07:05. Otherwise BA have 328 departures from LHR today.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 12:32 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Sigwx
FCRY for the 31 and TECY for the 1488.
FCRY I presume is Flight CRew?

Does the reason code for the ensuing BA32 on the 14th match or does it end up being OPEY?
Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by armouredant
FCRY I presume is Flight CRew?

Does the reason code for the ensuing BA32 on the 14th match or does it end up being OPEY?
I know a lot of people keep missing this, so I'll also add a wiki, put the codes are in post 1.
Sigwx likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 9:57 am

Programs: ITA
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Saturday 5 August 2023

Quite a few today, and with ATC and weather issues around there may be more to come. I would guess all of these below could be claimable.
BA548 FCO
BA356 NCE
BA640 ATH
BA726 GVA
BA392 BRU
BA1414 BHD
BA564 LIN
BA472 BCN (this often gets cancelled, usually 24 hours out. I do hope passengers spot the notification since it's often BA's first flight of the day - which presumably adds to the problem with getting resources).

After that, a relatively quiet Saturday, just 308 flights, presumably all fairly full though.
Was supposed to be on BA565 to LHR from LIN, here I see that BA564 was canceled. Any official reason for it to be eligible for reimbursement?
Old Aug 15, 2023, 11:41 am

BA8709
EDI-LCY
Tuesday 15 August

What's the reason for cancellation please? Been rebooked onto a very packed BA1459 to LHR.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by PAL62V
Is there a reason given for the cancellation of BA 2826 - LGW-AMS on Aug 15th?.
Now we are past the original departure time, can someone see the reason for this cancellation? We arrived on the later flight which puts us over 4 hours later than originally booked, with around ten days notice of the CX.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 12:27 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
BA796 (operated by Finnair)
LHR-OPO

Pilot announced that the plane was cancelled due to weather forecaster strike in Portugal, which appears to be true. But this is the only flight all day to have been cancelled and the majority of the others seem to be running largely to time.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by annaschummi
Was supposed to be on BA565 to LHR from LIN, here I see that BA564 was canceled. Any official reason for it to be eligible for reimbursement?
Cancelled flights always get reimbursement, they may also get compensation, see the EC261 thread for the discussion on this. On that date about 6 Airbus were out of service for short term technical reasons so while I don't now for certain I suspect it is TECHY (see post 1).
annaschummi likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PAL62V
Now we are past the original departure time, can someone see the reason for this cancellation? We arrived on the later flight which puts us over 4 hours later than originally booked, with around ten days notice of the CX.
Anything cancelled with 10 days notice is bound to be somewhere between commercial and resource availability issues - things like weather and ATC can be ruled out, so that just leaves strikes. BA doesn't cancel for strikes 10 days out. So it should be claimable. It didn't show on my list since it was cancelled so long ago.
PAL62V and Sigwx like this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by harenzo
BA8709
EDI-LCY
Tuesday 15 August

What's the reason for cancellation please? Been rebooked onto a very packed BA1459 to LHR.
OPEY.
harenzo likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.