Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Mar 25, 2023, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by bluemoon68
Anyone know why BA304 (LHR to CDG) was a late cancellation this morning? Only got cancelled after bags checked in and security cleared. Offered tomorrow afternoon instead which isn’t ideal for a 2 day trip. BA said “operational reasons”, would that be in line for compensation?
BA 304 is cancelled due to a crew shortage. FCRY and eligible for compensation.
bluemoon68 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC
Thanks so much to Sigwx for this detailed info every time!
What is quite remarkable, is just how many flights are within the scope of 261, even with things like weather and strikes ongoing, which would normally be extraordinary. It seems to show to me a general trend that the majority of cancellations in general, are actually within the scope of 261 and BA tries to wriggle out of it in most cases.
salut0 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by apacuk
So many thanks Sigwx!
So now a 2.5 hour delay on the BA 773 this morning ZRH to LHR. If it's not asking too much, could somebody check the reason please? This is a crazy journey.
Many thanks.
I believe you mean 771? The outbound flight had a tech issue, return to stand subsequent aircraft swap hence the delay to your flight.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 3:44 am

Programs: BAEC
With tomorrow being the start of S23, it seems BA are once again not prepared and it’s giving me flashbacks to last year. Looking at departures, Sunday has last-minute cancellations to PMI/IBZ/MRS/NCE/EDI/LYS/AMS and more…
Old Mar 25, 2023, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by thomasd21
Thanks so much to Sigwx for this detailed info every time!
What is quite remarkable, is just how many flights are within the scope of 261, even with things like weather and strikes ongoing, which would normally be extraordinary. It seems to show to me a general trend that the majority of cancellations in general, are actually within the scope of 261 and BA tries to wriggle out of it in most cases.
The operation is in chaos at present. 1:40 waits for stands, no loaders, no anything and whilst some chaos can indeed be placed on the strike action in France, Germany and Spain plus the weather, there is still so much that is solely down to the organisation itself.
Staff on the ground are often on ‘lines to take’ as they all were during the data breach scandal and other times they just don’t know the reasons why, so it isn’t alway nefarious when misinformed. I would always ask for staff to produce a letter stating the reasons, how we a blank ‘operational reasons’ is all that would be produced if such a letter is authorised. Generally speaking these are only produced for outstations.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Silver Card
Originally Posted by Sigwx
I believe you mean 771? The outbound flight had a tech issue, return to stand subsequent aircraft swap hence the delay to your flight.
Sorry, I meant BA711 ZRH to LHR, now departing 3.5 hours late.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by oceanscape
Anyone know why BA890 is delayed so much this morning? The plane arrived last night so it's not a delayed incoming aircraft.
A flight crew member was called out from home standby to cover a gap.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 5:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC
The operation is in chaos at present. 1:40 waits for stands, no loaders, no anything and whilst some chaos can indeed be placed on the strike action in France, Germany and Spain plus the weather, there is still so much that is solely down to the organisation itself.
Staff on the ground are often on ‘lines to take’ as they all were during the data breach scandal and other times they just don’t know the reasons why, so it isn’t alway nefarious when misinformed. I would always ask for staff to produce a letter stating the reasons, how we a blank ‘operational reasons’ is all that would be produced if such a letter is authorised. Generally speaking these are only produced for outstations.
Quite, it’s a shambles at present. I generally get a sense that in situations like this BA seems to shrug its shoulders and let it ride out. From an internal perspective, what’s being done to fix it? You’d like to think that these kinds of situations would trigger a Gold level response and that you t would very realistically fall on the desk of the CEO (airline can’t fulfil its basic operations / function), but how is it actually being managed?
lorcancoyle likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Could I ask about PMI-LHR on 26 March? BA0451.

Friends report it is cancelled and if you have the reason why, that would be helpful to know whether they should claim compensation.

They were put on a flight the following day.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 5:46 am

Programs: Miles and More, BAEC , QR Privilege, Oman Sindbad, Tufty Club.
today’s 839 dub-lhr 14:25 just cancelled with 4hours notice, scheduled aircraft has successfully completed lhr-gva-lhr this morning, only 25 minutes late. Anybody help with why this is please ?.

ba tried to shunt me to tomorrow late morning flight !

thx in advance
Old Mar 25, 2023, 5:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There is no space on any BA flights for DUB-LHR for the rest of today.

If you are willing, you could take the EI flight at 1630, there is space on that.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 6:05 am

Programs: Miles and More, BAEC , QR Privilege, Oman Sindbad, Tufty Club.
Just got myself squeezed onto the 17:30 but agent clamming up big time on reason for cancellation and reading from a script
Old Mar 25, 2023, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
BA 304 is cancelled due to a crew shortage. FCRY and eligible for compensation.
Thank you. With amazing luck, having already been confirmed onto a flight tomorrow, as they got to the front of the queue (hoping for vouchers/ overnight accommodation) seats came up on the 8.40am. This was at 7.55am, even more amazingly their luggage made it to the new flight.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 6:18 am

The reason for BA830 on the 25th is OPEY, operational and yes to 261. The operation represents something akin to a Picasso being rammed through a shredder at the moment.
I am at LHR with a delay on the 380 that seems to have expanded to more than 6 hours and “a Picasso rammed through a shredder” seems a rather apt description. It probably wasn’t meant with humour but thank you, you have cheered me up slightly! You or the glass of champagne in my hand…
lorcancoyle likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Could I ask about PMI-LHR on 26 March? BA0451.

Friends report it is cancelled and if you have the reason why, that would be helpful to know whether they should claim compensation.

They were put on a flight the following day.

Industrial action, duty of care applies but not compensation.
FlightDetective likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.