Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Mar 15, 2023, 9:19 am

Programs: BA GOLD, Tufty Club, Virgin Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, ICH Platinum Ambassador. MAS Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA

i suspect this is either BA issues or the French ATC strike.
Thanks KARFA. Is there any way to find out if it was ATC or a BA delay as BA issues would qualify for EU261?
Old Mar 15, 2023, 3:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Hi, quick bit of advice please. Iíve just had a text from BA that my flight from Toulouse to LHR tomorrow evening - 16th March - (BA379) has just been cancelled and Iíve been booked onto one the next day on the 17th. It doesnít really suit (and the earlier one tomorrow was cancelled a while back so I couldnít use that even if I wanted to) so I was going to request a refund and make alternative arrangements.

Would I be entitled to 261? Iím not sure of the reason why it was cancelled - they didnít tell me. I read the BA rules and it seems to fit but I guess it depends on the reason. Iíve never bothered claiming anything before when this happens.

I havenít clicked anything in MMB.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 3:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Formally you need to find an alternative and ask BA to book it. They should be able to do an Air France or Iberia routing. You do have the option instead of asking for a refund and sorting yourself out, but then that's your outlook. You could claim cancellation compensation - you won't get it if it's strike related so this aspect does depend on the reason. That's a separate issue to rebooking. Right to care means that BA would pay your hotel costs if staying overnight had been an option for you.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Formally you need to find an alternative and ask BA to book it. They should be able to do an Air France or Iberia routing. You do have the option instead of asking for a refund and sorting yourself out, but then that's your outlook. You could claim cancellation compensation - you won't get it if it's strike related so this aspect does depend on the reason. That's a separate issue to rebooking. Right to care means that BA would pay your hotel costs if staying overnight had been an option for you.
Thank you, thatís very helpful. I actually donít need the flight so I am happy with a refund. No costs incurred with hotel bookings or anything.

How do I find out if itís strike related?
Old Mar 15, 2023, 4:20 pm

Programs: Costa Coffee
Any insight knowledge why BA922 LHR-STR has been cancelled tomorrow 16th March and Friday 17th March?
Old Mar 16, 2023, 1:44 am

Programs: BA
Ba286 sfo-lhr 14mar2023

Deleted as reason for delay already answered up-thread.

Thanks!

Last edited by Herts81; Mar 16, 2023 at 1:48 am Reason: Found answer in thread above
Old Mar 16, 2023, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Amygdala28
Any insight knowledge why BA922 LHR-STR has been cancelled tomorrow 16th March and Friday 17th March?
Industrial action for both.

Originally Posted by Saladman
Thank you, thatís very helpful. I actually donít need the flight so I am happy with a refund. No costs incurred with hotel bookings or anything.

How do I find out if itís strike related?
​​​​​​​379 is also down to industrial action.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Sigwx
Industrial action for both.

379 is also down to industrial action.
Thank you, I won't bother claiming then and the refund will be fine. Any compensation would only have gone back into BA anyway as an upgrade/another booking.

A bit irritating that it was such last minute though, it's not like the strikes were a complete surprise. That just smacks of poor planning.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by orbitmic
yep I fear the worst on mine but Iíll stand firm based on the info you gave earlier including the fact the plane actually left, just without anyone.

btw I asked at the airport but noon knew what actually happened!
Just to update that my claim for the OPEY cancellation of the NCE-LHR flight was actually approved right away. I did provide all the details (form crashed, as often so had to send again, but once through the resolution was quick and painless this time). Thanks again to all for your help but particularly to Sigwx for providing all of us with key info on whether our cancellations are due to reasons BA sees as eligible or not, which is invaluable!
Old Mar 16, 2023, 9:55 am

Could someone check a delay for me please? BA268 and BA1494. Both yesterday the15th March. TIA
Old Mar 16, 2023, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by duggie1982
Could someone check a delay for me please? BA268 and BA1494. Both yesterday the15th March. TIA
268 is a reactionary delay as 269 was delayed because LEE and LEK were tech, so the fist Ďspareí was LEI which operated the flight there was a wait for this aircraft to become available. 269 was further delayed due to waiting for tug for nearly 30 mins.

1494 was a reactionary delay as the aircraftís earlier DUB rotation was delayed so to the usual staffing issues. It picked up a a little more delay due to cleaning and a minor temp I.T issue.
Bluekjp likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Sigwx
268 is a reactionary delay as 269 was delayed because LEE and LEK were tech, so the fist Ďspareí was LEI which operated the flight there was a wait for this aircraft to become available. 269 was further delayed due to waiting for tug for nearly 30 mins.

1494 was a reactionary delay as the aircraftís earlier DUB rotation was delayed so to the usual staffing issues. It picked up a a little more delay due to cleaning and a minor temp I.T issue.
Thank you kindly
Old Mar 17, 2023, 3:04 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Hello, as well as my outbound to LYS being cancelled, the return on BA361 was also cancelled on Wednesday 15th - please could the reason be checked?
Old Mar 17, 2023, 5:54 am

Programs: BAEC silver
I canít check, but would it not most likely be down to the French being on strike?
Old Mar 20, 2023, 7:20 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
If anyone is able to confirm this, it would be appreciated, thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.