Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Dec 30, 2023, 10:28 am

Programs: M&S Elite+, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by DANNYB111
Anybody able to please help shed light on today’s BA734? Just pushed back 1hr 30min late, citing baggage & trim issues. It sounded a little like they had overfuelled the aircraft, as announcement from flight deck was “we’re going to do a slow taxi to burn off some fuel”?
Hopefully that does not mean no bags loaded...
Old Dec 30, 2023, 11:50 pm

Programs: BA GfL, TK *G+
BA2641 AGP-LW 31/12. Received mail to say cancelled for operational reasons, any further information ?
Have been auto rebooked on later flight to LCY which is less than ideal as will now have to taxi back to LGW to retrieve car. Should make for a fun New Year’s Eve!
Old Dec 31, 2023, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by TedToToe
It sounds like you have the information from the horse's mouth, so to speak. I think Sigwx explained somewhere that final baggage loading information can be updated on the taxiway and on rare occasions it results in a return to stand. On this occasion they just needed to burn some fuel to balance things, I guess.
Originally Posted by DANNYB111
Anybody able to please help shed light on today’s BA734? Just pushed back 1hr 30min late, citing baggage & trim issues. It sounded a little like they had overfuelled the aircraft, as announcement from flight deck was “we’re going to do a slow taxi to burn off some fuel”?
Due to the new way BA allocates delays this is a story of two halves. Prior to brakes release there was a 34 minute delay due to late allocation of a loading team (15 mins) and in IT failure with, I assume, Altea FM which manages the loading etc, (19 mins). After brakes release there is a 53 minute delay due to centralised load control. This smacks of an IT brake down and a work around to ensure the performance calcs are correct and perhaps that the CG is in the correct envelope to validate the performance. If anything an excess in fuel actually loaded vs the ‘final figures’ would make sense in this case and thus perhaps thr extended taxi to ensure the weight at take off is within the performance calc limits.

It appears that bags were indeed loaded from the message sent to GVA.
DaveS and TedToToe like this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by where next
BA2641 AGP-LW 31/12. Received mail to say cancelled for operational reasons, any further information ?
Have been auto rebooked on later flight to LCY which is less than ideal as will now have to taxi back to LGW to retrieve car. Should make for a fun New Year’s Eve!
It is down as WEAN however worth a challenge.

BA 2640/1 LGW-AGP-LGW only has one aircraft allocation and reallocation, G-EUXG. This has been used instead to operate BA 2810/1 LGW-RAK-LGW as the originally allocated aircraft for RAK, G-EUXH, coming in from ACE last night diverted to BHX last night due to crosswinds.

This would be one of those ‘all reasonable measures’ tests and in the first instance is indeed a WEAN, however does swapping aircraft aground meet the all reasonable measures threshold?

Duty of care still applies as I’m sure you are aware so costs to recover yourself to LGW from LCY can be claimed.
where next and DaveS like this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 2:11 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Sigwx
It is down as WEAN however worth a challenge.

BA 2640/1 LGW-AGP-LGW only has one aircraft allocation and reallocation, G-EUXG. This has been used instead to operate BA 2810/1 LGW-RAK-LGW as the originally allocated aircraft for RAK, G-EUXH, coming in from ACE last night diverted to BHX last night due to crosswinds.

This would be one of those ‘all reasonable measures’ tests and in the first instance is indeed a WEAN, however does swapping aircraft aground meet the all reasonable measures threshold?

Duty of care still applies as I’m sure you are aware so costs to recover yourself to LGW from LCY can be claimed.
Indeed this one seems to be a rather inaccurate code. The proximate cause for the AGP cancellation isn't weather, it's that the aircraft has been pinched and that Euroflyer (evidently) doesn't have any spares available. No way that constitutes exceptional circumstances, let alone the 'all reasonable measures' test being satisfied.
DaveS and Sigwx like this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 2:47 am

A friend of mine is travelling on BA32 today (31 Dec) from HKG to LHR and was told it's been delayed overnight. It seems the incoming flight BA31 yesterday has been delayed to today. The other flight on the route went on time.

Does anyone know the reason for the delays? Thanks
Old Dec 31, 2023, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by sebastianlee
A friend of mine is travelling on BA32 today (31 Dec) from HKG to LHR and was told it's been delayed overnight. It seems the incoming flight BA31 yesterday has been delayed to today. The other flight on the route went on time.

Does anyone know the reason for the delays? Thanks
A medical issue saw the outbound flight nightstopped at LHR. Due to depart this afternoon, hence the ‘knock on’ or ‘rotational’ delay to BA32.
sebastianlee likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 7:07 am

Programs: M&M, FB, Exec Club, SPG
We have just returned from a trip to the US which saw our arrival there delayed by 24 hours because of a delay to the initial BA flight from Dublin to LHR which caused us to miss BA121 to CVG and end up being rerouted on UA via IAD the next day.

The flight in question was BA835 on Sat 23 Dec. Sadly I didn't think to consult EF early enough for the delay code. The inbound aircraft (G-EUUD) arrived about 1 hour late into Dublin (13.08 instead of 12.05, according to FR24) but the departure was further delayed (14.53 instead of 13.00) due to problems with an Ambilift (and, it would seem, communication between aircraft and dispatcher) which severely delayed the disembarkation of some of the inbound passengers and then the boarding. Indeed we were the first to be brought out to the aircraft to board (a family member is WCHR). With the ramp agent, we were waiting at the bottom of steps for a thumbs-up to board, but in fact the captain came down the steps to remonstrate with the ramp agent: "who gave you authority to start boarding? We're still waiting to finish disembarkation and then to get the aircraft cleaned!" So we were brought back into the terminal to wait further.

Would any kind soul be able to tell me the "officially recorded" reason for the late BA835 departure from Dublin?

Sincere thanks in advance!

Last edited by Bluestar; Dec 31, 2023 at 7:25 am
Old Dec 31, 2023, 7:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Sunday 31 December 2023

As befits the final report of this sort on this thread, I have no reports of LHR cancellations today. There are only 216 departures today, so down about a quarter on a normal Sunday. Theoretically there was a Regulation of 40 / 60 in place due to strong winds, but it's been cancelled because there isn't that level of arrivals anyway.

There will be a new thread for 2024 tomorrow, I'll provide a link in here before closure.
salut0, Nick_USA, KARFA and 7 others like this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 7:59 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Thanks for all your hard work on this thread this year, CWS. And thank you to all the other experienced and helpful commenters who have also helped so many people this year. Happy new year everyone!
chucko, salut0, Bluestar and 6 others like this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by where next
I had bookings on this flight on both 16 and 23 Jan and was notified today that both are cancelled. It rather looks that the service may be being axed on certain days
Old Dec 31, 2023, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Sigwx
A medical issue saw the outbound flight nightstopped at LHR. Due to depart this afternoon, hence the ‘knock on’ or ‘rotational’ delay to BA32.
I was supposed to be on this flight. Would the reason for the delay qualify for compensation?
Old Dec 31, 2023, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Bluestar
We have just returned from a trip to the US which saw our arrival there delayed by 24 hours because of a delay to the initial BA flight from Dublin to LHR which caused us to miss BA121 to CVG and end up being rerouted on UA via IAD the next day.

The flight in question was BA835 on Sat 23 Dec. Sadly I didn't think to consult EF early enough for the delay code. The inbound aircraft (G-EUUD) arrived about 1 hour late into Dublin (13.08 instead of 12.05, according to FR24) but the departure was further delayed (14.53 instead of 13.00) due to problems with an Ambilift (and, it would seem, communication between aircraft and dispatcher) which severely delayed the disembarkation of some of the inbound passengers and then the boarding. Indeed we were the first to be brought out to the aircraft to board (a family member is WCHR). With the ramp agent, we were waiting at the bottom of steps for a thumbs-up to board, but in fact the captain came down the steps to remonstrate with the ramp agent: "who gave you authority to start boarding? We're still waiting to finish disembarkation and then to get the aircraft cleaned!" So we were brought back into the terminal to wait further.

Would any kind soul be able to tell me the "officially recorded" reason for the late BA835 departure from Dublin?

Sincere thanks in advance!
Too late in the day to say now, but from the sounds of it certainly worth pursuing. The weather too will have been a contributor to the delay given the day in question but how much was ATC driven on your sector and the one immediately prior and how much was also purely down to a reactionary delay is hard to say. Delayed flight crew inbound to Heathrow to operate the 834/5 might also have been a factor. The only way to know now is to follow the laid down process.
Bluestar likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 6:36 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Please follow the 2024 version of this thread here:

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2024 edition

golfmad
Moderator: BAEC forum
flarmip and Majormaje like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.