Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Mar 13, 2023, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Greyraccoon
Hello, Im looking for the reason flight BA1455 was cancelled today. Thanks in advance.
The reason is weather so not eligible but duty of care still remains.

As an aside the earlier 1440/1449 rotation is due to HDLY.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 7:36 am

Pease can anyone advise the reasons for cancellation of BA3279/80 today (LCY-FLR-LCY). Guessing weather related but a definitive would be much appreciated.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Pease can anyone advise the reasons for cancellation of BA3279/80 today (LCY-FLR-LCY). Guessing weather related but a definitive would be much appreciated.
Yes it is weather.
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Sigwx
This was canx due HDLY lack of ground/ramp staff. I did check the weather which is rather nasty there and there have been a few diversion of late it seems as a result. That said given the early hour of the day it was canx, and the code, the WX doesnt come into it and the official reason stands as HDLY.
and having got here early this morning BA1349 this evening is now also cancelled - clearly a jinxed trip! would you mind checking the reason for me. many thanks in advance
Old Mar 13, 2023, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Could someone please confirm the BA1314 today (13/03) to Aberdeen is weather also?
Old Mar 13, 2023, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
Could someone please confirm the BA1314 today (13/03) to Aberdeen is weather also?

Correct. If it states as much on the app/ba.com then that is the reason as the system I look at updates other systems, so the times you see and mentions of weather are the same. It will be internally listed as WEAN. Duty of care still applies as I'm sure you are fully aware.
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by tom188
and having got here early this morning BA1349 this evening is now also cancelled - clearly a jinxed trip! would you mind checking the reason for me. many thanks in advance
It is due to weather. Cleary the Island is trying to tell you something ;-)
tom188 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold for Life
Seems poor planning that two consecutive flights from BCN to LHR have been cancelled today - BA 485 and BA 481. I suppose both weather related so cant claim EU261? the next one was full so now booked on 489, already showing a delay so will be not far short of 4 hours later than scheduled departure of cancelled flight
Old Mar 13, 2023, 11:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by JSM8
Seems poor planning that two consecutive flights from BCN to LHR have been cancelled today - BA 485 and BA 481. I suppose both weather related so cant claim EU261? the next one was full so now booked on 489, already showing a delay so will be not far short of 4 hours later than scheduled departure of cancelled flight
Yes, the way this is looking pretty much any EC261 claim today is going to get denied (and correctly so) whereas most of yesterday's disruption was BA's fault and claimable. Today the weather has been sufficiently bad that the shortage of handlers won't have had an impact.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
If they cancel a flight on same day due to weather, do they put you on an alternate flight? Now I am worried about our Wednesday flight from Bologna to London.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by JSM8
485 is HDLY and 481 WEAN.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 11:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by enzian
If they cancel a flight on same day due to weather, do they put you on an alternate flight? Now I am worried about our Wednesday flight from Bologna to London.
Well they will if there is an alternative flight and there is space. Generally BA won't book on to easyjet or Ryanair tho, but you can potentially book yourself and claim the cost back later - but do not cancel your BA booking. Also you can ask for departures from nearby paces such as Venice, Milan etc.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 11:25 am

Does anyone know why BA793 GOT to LHR was cancelled on Sunday 12th March? It's been cancelled today (Monday 13th) as well but I'm assuming that's weather related.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 11:26 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, the way this is looking pretty much any EC261 claim today is going to get denied (and correctly so) whereas most of yesterday's disruption was BA's fault and claimable. Today the weather has been sufficiently bad that the shortage of handlers won't have had an impact.
Is that true for those flights noted as cancelled for HDLY reasons above?
Old Mar 13, 2023, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by enzian
Reaccommodation or REACCOM is run automatically and should find the next alternative in your cabin/class of travel should there be one. BUT it WILL NOT find necessarily the most suitable. Other carriers are deliberately ignored so if it looks likely then it is best to be forearmed with viable options prior to phoning BA. If at the airport, staff should be able to reaccom you without phoning up, theory and practice through are two very different things and plenty of experience in this field exists on this forum and else where.
Bluekjp likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.