Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2023, 11:26 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Hi all

I am on the BA1439 EDI-LHR which has delayed 2 hrs. I am assuming this is because of crew as the aircraft should be in Edinburgh. If anyone could confirm this I would appreciate it - if it is, I will stay with the flight as the delay should stay constant! Unlike the rest of the schedule which will probably explode when folks open their curtains this morning!

Note this is absolutely vital information to me as I do not want to be in the air when the Scotland- Ireland rugby match is on this afternoon…..!!!!!

This is EF

Regards from an Ember bus en route from a wintery Perth to Edinburgh at an early hour for a Sunday.

aks120
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:03 am

BA1439 is delayed due to crew rest from the late inbound 1454 yesterday.
aks120 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Thanks Sigwx.

Just got a Ł10 voucher from the lovely ladies at the front desk.

Regards

aks120
Sigwx and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Silver Card
I've had an email stating that my rebooked flight LHR-ZRH today could be late because of French ATC restrictions. I assume this might be BA's reason if they were to refuse EC261 compensation - and under these circumstances it will be very difficult to get them to admit the "real" reason for the cancellation.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 3:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by apacuk
I've had an email stating that my rebooked flight LHR-ZRH today could be late because of French ATC restrictions. I assume this might be BA's reason if they were to refuse EC261 compensation - and under these circumstances it will be very difficult to get them to admit the "real" reason for the cancellation.
but there are strikes for French ATC…

from eurocontrol

French ATC Industrial Action
French ATC Industrial Action is ongoing until 13th March 0600 UTC.
Minimum service in force. A flight reduction program is applied.

LFBB: no significant delays
LFEE: several sectors regulated with high delays from 13:00.
LFFF: no significant delays.

LFMM: several sectors regulated with high to heavy delays .
LFRR: no significant delays
aks120 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 3:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Sigwx
The canx reason for all of the above is HDLY with the remark CANX DUE LHR RESOURCE.

In short BA has too few staff at present.
That's incredibly helpful and kind of you to share. Thank you!
Sigwx likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by apacuk
Check your PM for the information I’ve sent which they can’t refute. The the code is HDLY for the cancellation. You’ve already been reaccommodated more than 1 hour earlier so you have been suitably disrupted to have met requirements should you wish to claim.

At present your aircraft is currently doors closed awaiting pushback in Hamburg, which is also under industrial action today. As Karfa has indicated there are ATC restrictions but the focus really is on the reason for 744 being cancelled in the first place. At this moment there is more than sufficient time for BA 956 to be a bit delayed and still arrive for an on time departure with a standard turnaround footprint in terms of timings to allow 716 to be ready on time. Any ATC regulation won’t be known until nearer the time of departure.

EDIT : aircraft in the air and due on stand at 1133. Looks like you’ll be going out of A12 at the moment for your ZRH.

Last edited by Sigwx; Mar 12, 2023 at 4:59 am
Old Mar 12, 2023, 6:08 am

Just had BA819 tonight cancelled (CPH-LHR).

Is this another handling cancellation and thus should be compensation eligible?

Slightly ironic as my last canx was also back from Copenhagen!
Old Mar 12, 2023, 6:23 am

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Does anyone know why yesterdays BA492 (GIB-LHR) was delayed overnight to 11am today? It didn't divert yesterday and landed 45 minutes late
Old Mar 12, 2023, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Seppy
Just had BA819 tonight cancelled (CPH-LHR).

Is this another handling cancellation and thus should be compensation eligible?

Slightly ironic as my last canx was also back from Copenhagen!
Correct, the code is HDLY and therefore eligible.
rjn21 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
Does anyone know why yesterdays BA492 (GIB-LHR) was delayed overnight to 11am today? It didn't divert yesterday and landed 45 minutes late
Several reasons but ultimately ATC was unmanned from 1500z onwards yesterday afternoon and were not allowing plant departures to push back after 1450z.

That caused the BA 493 (GIB-LHR) to overnight.

The BA 492 (LHR-GIB) was slightly delayed pushing back due to passengers taking a long time to get seated during boarding, however due to the ATC industrial action in France, the aircraft had a long routing into the Atlantic and then popping back through Portugal and into Spain to pick up its more normal routing. This extra distance had a flight time of 3:10 vs 3:00 for the schedule, on top of that the demand on ATC for these reroutes led to regulation and the flight was 1:12 late in getting Airborn, primarily due to ATC delays. It arrived on stand in GIB at 1434, so by the time the offload had finished ATC was out of office.
rjn21 and ScienceTeacher like this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 8:39 am

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by Sigwx
Several reasons but ultimately ATC was unmanned from 1500z onwards yesterday afternoon and were not allowing plant departures to push back after 1450z.
Thank you! How interesting! I'd have thought some overtime would be on the cards but I suspect completley out of BA's control; or, do the Malaga shuffle to get around it and not pay hotels plus EU261... . Thank you!
Old Mar 12, 2023, 9:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Would anyone kindly have the reason for cancellation of todays BUD-LHR (BA867)? Reroute from 6.35pm departure today to 7.40am tomorrow…
Old Mar 12, 2023, 10:00 am

Why is BA866 today 12MAR cancelled?

Anyone know why?
Old Mar 12, 2023, 10:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Almost certainly crew issues.
KARFA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.