Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2023, 4:01 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Update: the aircraft arrived at the gate at 11:34 but the APU would not start and doors did not open until 11:45. Conformance for the LHR-MUC flight was already passed and “computer said no” at connections security. By this time it was too late for the LH service at 13:50 from T2 as MCT there was also not met, so rebooking was onto BA960 LHR-MUC at 16:40. This arrived into MUC with doors open at 19:24 local time, 4:14 later than the scheduled booking.

The captain’s announcement on BA226 was that the inbound BA227 was held in LHR for nearly 2 hours for baggage loading. ExpertFlyer delay reason is Z0. In my opinion, this is clear EU261 of €600 (or should we claim UK261 now?) since the delay is wholly on BA. Master Tafflyer also no longer has status and as the Ł10 voucher didn’t cover his noodles and cola in Wagamama T5 he will no doubt be adding that to the bill.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 4:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, SK Gold, LH Senator, AZ Executive
Ba691 inn > lhr jan-08

Please could someone check the cancellation code for this service?

The captain announced it as an inoperable terrain radar - mandatory for departures out of Innsbruck - with no local engineering support available. They tried many resets, including a power down and reboot of the whole plane before the airport closed to departures for the night.

Would have thought it was tech, but wondering if the lack of ground support or the airport closure would make it exceptional.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by BitterLemon
Please could someone check the cancellation code for this service?

The captain announced it as an inoperable terrain radar - mandatory for departures out of Innsbruck - with no local engineering support available. They tried many resets, including a power down and reboot of the whole plane before the airport closed to departures for the night.

Would have thought it was tech, but wondering if the lack of ground support or the airport closure would make it exceptional.

That would indeed be an aircraft technical fault causing the delay due to airline policy re operation in and out of INN. It is what is known as a CAT C airfield so requires special training in order to able to operate there. As part of the operational requirements it will no doubt be mandated that the EGPWS including 'voice call out' functions are operable. if not, show stopper. Not exceptional as BA could choose to have avionics engineers on site or have a 'flying spanner' come along for the day. BA doesn't do that and thus you sadly got scuppered.
BitterLemon likes this.

Last edited by Sigwx; Jan 9, 2023 at 4:53 am Reason: found the policy
Old Jan 18, 2023, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA, BA Silver (at least for a few more months)
Jan 17. 2023 BA 297 Delay Reason - Help Please

I was travelling on BA 297 from LHR to ORD on Jan 17, 2023. The flight was scheduled to depart at 3:30 pm local time and departed at 8:30 pm. I would like to file a compensation request and was hoping someone could provide me with the 'official' IATA delay reason. For what it's worth, the aircraft was damaged on the ground so passengers were asked to deboard since the aircraft was uncomfortably cold and it was going to take a couple of hours to find the replacement part and repair personnel. In the meantime, the pilots timed out and new pilots were called in but the cabin crew stayed on for the flight despite the delay. Crew was phenomenal and did their best given the situation.

Thanks!

Old Jan 18, 2023, 6:41 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Expertflyer is showing this:

DOBA297/17JAN
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA 297 -2 TU 17JAN23
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

LHR ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 2145
DELAY ZO
LEFT THE GATE 2153
TOOK OFF 2209
DELAY ZY
ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 0041 ORD
ORD AIRCRAFT LANDED 0016
ARRIVED 0025

I believe ZO is for Operations and ZY is eligible for compensation but I'm not 100% sure to be honest. I'm sure someone else more knowledgeable on this specific matter will be able to clarify this.
alex67500 and l2travel2 like this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 1:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
At BA's base in LHR you could always show that even if the aircraft were damaged in an exceptional circumstance, they should have been able to find a replacement aircraft.

But as Peter shows you above, it is currently marked as yes for compensation so get your request in and you should be fine.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 1:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PETER01
I believe ZO is for Operations and ZY is eligible for compensation but I'm not 100% sure to be honest. I'm sure someone else more knowledgeable on this specific matter will be able to clarify this.
Nearly right, ZY actually means rotational (late on a previous sector), which often does mean eligible for compensation, though not always.

This the best thread to use for these sorts of queries and it has a lot more detail on this area, along with self help signposts.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...3-edition.html

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jan 19, 2023 at 6:11 am Reason: Remove circular reference
Old Jan 19, 2023, 2:57 am

This will indeed be eligible for compensation due to ‘ramp rash’. Don’t be surprised BA push back (pun not intended) on it and claim it’s extraordinary. The cabin crew were able to stay as they have bunks to use and can extend their hours through in-flight rest. The Pilots are unable to do this because BA operates ORD as a 2 crew route and it therefore doesn’t have a great deal of tolerance for delays as it operates right on the fringes of what is doable in a realistic way with only 2 of us. As 2 crew we can’t extend hours by the use of in-flight rest in bunks, we’d need a third pilot.

As an aside, the US carriers on the route (AA/UA) have 3 pilots for this route.

The pilots would have been called out from home standby and would need to be able to get to the crew car park within 2 hours from the phone going. From there it takes about 15 - 20 mins to get to the crew report centre and about 20 mins or so to get to the aircraft, assuming there was one at that point.

BA could choose to operate this as a 3 pilot route, it chooses not to. Not sure if that had any effect on the delay.

Ultimately the damage caused in the turning around of the aircraft is common place and not extraordinary. Any further delay due to lack of aircraft and pilots running out of hours are directly within BA’s control.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 3:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
That said, I've a feeling this will be quickly paid out. The OP should send the very shortest claim in for EC261 Delay compensation (using those words) and a brief sentence to complement the hardworking crew. BA will know the timings so just say "we were over 6 hours late into O' Hare".
l2travel2 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 3:43 am

Programs: AA, BA Silver (at least for a few more months)
Thank you for the quick and informative responses. I will submit a delay compensation claim and update with an outcome. One thing I omitted in my original post was that there was a 45 min delay as the aircraft was late arriving from San Diego. The captain included that detail during his initial announcement - that is the rotational delay piece and the rest was operational.

Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2023, 6:26 am

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
Would anyone be kind enough to provide information on BA430 (LHR-AMS) yesterday (18 Jan 2023) - I believe there was an equipment swap. I was on BA431 (the return journey AMS-LHR) which was delayed by the late arrival of BA430; as a result I missed my connection to Riyadh in LHR and was switched to a Saudi flight which landed five+ hours after I was scheduled to get in

Many thanks in advance
Old Jan 19, 2023, 7:11 am
Original Poster

BA430 was ZO, operational, and that seems to tie in with an equipment swap. It pushed back 09:02, so 42 minutes late, but then needed 38 minutes to get off the ground, a bit longer than normal. Either way this should be OK for EC261 unless there is more to this.
Ned1968 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 2:46 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
BA268 canceled on January 28?

Does anyone know what happened with this flight? Ba.com say it is canceller, but flyteaware ahows it departing late. The plane was still at LAX TBIT after midnight when I taxied by on an AA flight. Anyhow, just curious.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 2:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
Flightradar shows it was cancelled
Old Jan 29, 2023, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Flight was cancelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.