Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Feb 12, 2023, 10:46 pm

Programs: BA, LY, QF, UA, HH
Originally Posted by cheesebag
Anybody know the reason?
Iím guessing itís due to BA286 needing to return to LHR due to an unwell passenger shortly after takeoff.

https://airlive.net/british-airways-...-an-emergency/
Old Feb 13, 2023, 12:15 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by expataus
Iím guessing itís due to BA286 needing to return to LHR due to an unwell passenger shortly after takeoff.

https://airlive.net/british-airways-...-an-emergency/
Doubtful. The 286 is the SFO-LHR service; according to the above referred report the medical emergency occurred over Ireland.

The 284/285 rotation is scheduled to be on a 787. The 286/287 service uses an A380.

Doc Copper
Old Feb 13, 2023, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by cheesebag
Anybody know the reason?
Cancellation reason listed at TECY.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 9:33 am

Programs: BA, TK, EK
BA1450/14FEB cancellation reason code

I haven't had to do this in a while, but looking at BA1450 for tomorrow 14th Feb I see that EF no longer lists the usual cancellation reason codes, and hasn't for several months. Forecasts in EDI and LHR both seem fine.

I'll ask at the airport tomorrow, unless anyone can suggest an alternative data source (or a kind human data source stumbles across this post). Many thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 9:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There is fog forecast for tomorrow morning at LHR, and that does seem to tie in to the note on ba.com for this flight:

Flight cancelled

We’re very sorry, this flight has been cancelled due to adverse weather conditions.
Sigwx likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 9:49 am

The code for BA 1450 is WEAN and as Karfa indicates, it is indeed due to the forecast of 300M visibility in Fog. Proactive cancellations are indeed common with such forecasts.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 10:33 am

Programs: BA, TK, EK
Many thanks Karfa and Sigwx.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 3:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
I got a cancellation email on arrival at Gatwick this morning for BA2712 to Malaga, GGS were very friendly but had no idea why, speculating staff shortage.

can anyone confirm this? Iím an Expertflyer subscriber but canít find the codes others post for the life of me - any help here appreciated too!
Old Feb 17, 2023, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by DocWatson
I got a cancellation email on arrival at Gatwick this morning for BA2712 to Malaga, GGS were very friendly but had no idea why, speculating staff shortage.

can anyone confirm this? Iím an Expertflyer subscriber but canít find the codes others post for the life of me - any help here appreciated too!
Correct. Listed as FCRY.
DocWatson likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 4:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
Thanks a bunch Sigwx - I donít think it was down as Euroflyer so one of those things, or something to be annoyed about?

Under which Expertflyer menu would I find these codes?
Old Feb 17, 2023, 6:02 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Originally Posted by DocWatson
Under which Expertflyer menu would I find these codes?
Flight Status - enter date (if necessary), airline and flight no.

When the result is returned, click on 'View Additional Comments' to get the full details available - though in this case it hasn't included the cancellation reason code! Sigwx must have access to another resource
KARFA and DocWatson like this.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 6:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The problem is BA seem to be putting a generic FLT CANC message in that field since a few months ago now so what is shown on EF no longer gives the actual reason.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 6:29 am

Thanks both, 3 of my last 4 BA flights have been cancelled and I havenít had a reason code once so thought I was being daft but KARFAís explanation makes sense.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Thanks KARFA - conspiracy theory alert - is that deliberate obfuscation or is it that BA Ops Can't Be Ar$ed?
Old Feb 17, 2023, 7:54 am

Programs: BAEC silver
Originally Posted by Tocsin
Thanks KARFA - conspiracy theory alert - is that deliberate obfuscation or is it that BA Ops Can't Be Ar$ed?
Iíd imagine the simple answer to that comes from considering just what a rip roaring success BAís post pandemic restart has been. On top of that more media exposure to passengerís rights and I think we have our answer.

But then again this is BA and it probably has something to do with a software update that yet again is plagued with unintended consequences.

Last edited by ACARS; Feb 17, 2023 at 8:18 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.