Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Mar 24, 2023, 10:36 am

Any info on why BA461 from Madrid this evening is delayed? Well, I know why my flight is delayed, it's because the outbound (BA460) was about two hours late, but not sure why that happened. I'm going to miss the connection back to Newastle as a result, and get the first one tomorrow morning. Is the Sofitel at T5 likely to be considered a reasonable expense or do we have to go somewhere cheaper?
Old Mar 24, 2023, 10:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Im meant to be on the BA708 to ZRH today which has been cancelled.

Rerouted on to last BSL flight of the day. As it will get me into where Im going at 2.30am, and pretty much write off tomorrow as a result - and add plenty of additional cost of onward transportation - I wish to cancel.

Can I claim lost hotel costs, etc from BA?
Old Mar 24, 2023, 10:43 am

Programs: BA GGL
Just received notification that BA229 (LHR-BWI) on Sunday March 26 is cancelled. Does anyone know why that might be? Thanks
Old Mar 24, 2023, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Arjaysee
Just received notification that BA229 (LHR-BWI) on Sunday March 26 is cancelled. Does anyone know why that might be? Thanks
It is TECY, aircraft shortage due to the number of tech issues occurring.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Vgravity
Im meant to be on the BA708 to ZRH today which has been cancelled.

Rerouted on to last BSL flight of the day. As it will get me into where Im going at 2.30am, and pretty much write off tomorrow as a result - and add plenty of additional cost of onward transportation - I wish to cancel.

Can I claim lost hotel costs, etc from BA?
This will likely be a travel insurance firm job.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 10:52 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Sigwx
It is TECY, aircraft shortage due to the number of tech issues occurring.
Many thanks indeed! Fantastic FT service as ever...
Sigwx likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Arjaysee
Yeap, me too for the BA228 BWI-LHR - although my trusty BA app is still a few days behind. Rebooked onto the BA292 from IAD - which I don't necessarily mind as it is an A380 (so quieter), but the 22:45 departure is really too late to eat on board (although I should be able to grab something in the lounge), it takes 2.5 hours to get to Dulles (rather than 20 mins to BWI), and only gives a 75 min connection at LHR - which is fine if everything is on time. Only problem now is seat assignment - looks like everything but economy is full on both the 216 and 292, so it will be musical seat time!
Sigwx likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by taranty
Any info on why BA461 from Madrid this evening is delayed? Well, I know why my flight is delayed, it's because the outbound (BA460) was about two hours late, but not sure why that happened. I'm going to miss the connection back to Newastle as a result, and get the first one tomorrow morning. Is the Sofitel at T5 likely to be considered a reasonable expense or do we have to go somewhere cheaper?
An issue with the weather radar caused a tech delay. On top of that it needs a ground air start cart. Start one engine on stand, then push back, adds a few extra minutes, but having missed your connection, that wont really matter greatly. There is a notional limit of 200 for hotels, but if you screen shot search results and all are above that value, or would incur significantly higher ground transportation costs, they should approve it.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 11:28 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Tiffywren
Good morning, I was on BA419 LUX-LHR which was cancelled yesterday, does anyone know why please? It looks like the LHR outbound was diverted to GVA?
Thank you.
Just came back to say thanks for the advice on this one, 261 claim and hotel reimbursement have just been paid 😊
Old Mar 24, 2023, 11:33 am

Programs: United GS, BAEC GGL, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Also OPEY so in scope. If you are able to get through on the phone then see if they will one, transfer you to the LCY flight and two, refund the LCY you purchased as you are within the cooling off period. Not sure if thats strictly correct, but the fact youve called to try and find the option that benefits you over BAs suggestion is important for any subsequent claim Id have thought. If you dont get through that youd clearly have booked the LCY sector in any case so do put it in the claim.
Many thanks Sigwx,

Had no chance of getting through on the phone and my EA also gave up after an hour. I assume under EC261 they wouldn't pay out the standard compensation as i've ultimately made it to GLA roughly on time despite the hassle but just cover the ticket costs.

Currently sat having a bag of crisps and a juice in LCY waiting for the flight up the road.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 11:38 am

An issue with the weather radar caused a tech delay. On top of that it needs a ground air start cart. Start one engine on stand, then push back, adds a few extra minutes, but having missed your connection, that wont really matter greatly. There is a notional limit of 200 for hotels, but if you screen shot search results and all are above that value, or would incur significantly higher ground transportation costs, they should approve it.
Brilliant, many thanks. There's not much room there to argue against the delay compensation.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Jpm81
Many thanks Sigwx,

Had no chance of getting through on the phone and my EA also gave up after an hour. I assume under EC261 they wouldn't pay out the standard compensation as i've ultimately made it to GLA roughly on time despite the hassle but just cover the ticket costs.

Currently sat having a bag of crisps and a juice in LCY waiting for the flight up the road.

Assuming its the 8728 then that is correct, but do make a note of the timings if things slip for any reason. The LCY-GLA and ground transport should be covered as ultimately if youd have gotten though, theyd have rebooked you on it in any case.
Jpm81 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by taranty
Brilliant, many thanks. There's not much room there to argue against the delay compensation.
Most welcome, it is a slam dunker so should be relatively swift hopefully given recent anecdotal evidence on this board. Enjoy an extra slice of jamon and glass of fino whist still waiting.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 11:55 am

Programs: United GS, BAEC GGL, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Assuming its the 8728 then that is correct, but do make a note of the timings if things slip for any reason. The LCY-GLA and ground transport should be covered as ultimately if youd have gotten though, theyd have rebooked you on it in any case.
Perfect thanks - will feedback how I get on.

Yeah, it's 8728 - my main priority tonight was simply getting home so not too worried about any extra compensation.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver Card
So my ZRH to LHR on 24 March was cancelled, I rebooked on the BA773 ZRH to LHR on 25 March. Now this one has been cancelled!

Please does anyone have the reason for the BA773 ZRH to LHR cancellation on 25 March.

And can I claim two lots of EC/261 compensation .... ??

Many thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.