Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise à jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2023, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by 1/4MM@20
Oh boy - that language is going to lead to even more confusion. For example does this include JFK-PHX? The language on AA’s website for CK is extremely precise referring to ‘Qualifying Transcon’ which is defined by reference to specific flight routes. Why is BA unable to be clear and precise?
This must be the one and only time EVER AA gets any praise for having clearly defined access rules lol. I cant tell you how horrible their agents are for understanding anything about access on connections and arriving. I have been denied wrongly 5 x since 2018. I just get a chuckle reading anything that says they actually got anything right. There is so much vagueness in their FL and FFD access for arriving and connections and it gets botched a lot by agents. Once I was actually told at LAX that I couldnt get in on LAX-SFO-JFK b/c LAX to SFO is not a flagship route and doesnt have the 321T on that route. It was more stupidity than anything but that said if AA would simply say Connections on the same day get you in anywhere along the journey it would sure help.

I'm curious do things run smoothly at LHR with the lounges and access- Chelsea is the first time its been a mess for all you BA folks?
Old Feb 9, 2023, 1:00 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I just can't believe that something so simple is so messed up. It's beyond a joke.
KARFA and HFHFFlyer like this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Chelsea is the first time its been a mess for all you BA folks?
Actually no, although discussed much less in FlyerTalk due to fewer BAEC elites flying to/from those cities but the BA Lounge's in Philadelphia and San Francisco are known for denying BA elites when flying AA stating capacity reasons and not sure about SFO, but the PHL issue is there for at least 5 years and not solved.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 1:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Actually no, although discussed much less in FlyerTalk due to fewer BAEC elites flying to/from those cities but the BA Lounge's in Philadelphia and San Francisco are known for denying BA elites when flying AA stating capacity reasons and not sure about SFO, but the PHL issue is there for at least 5 years and not solved.
I wouldn’t say that’s a mess at PHL, IAD, etc. it’s always been pretty clear and there is some reasonable logic behind it.

Chelsea does seem to be a mess because several months after opening they are still changing the rules on a daily basis, and at the same time the lounge agents seem to be enforcing their own rules at a lounge which is supposed to be the most important and valuable outstation for the airline.
MaxFlyer, hsmall, aks120 and 7 others like this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 4:56 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Funny thing is that before I use PHL, ORD, SFO BA lounges on a flight with AA, QR etc, I email GGL who state very clearly that I can use the lounges as a GGL on a OW flight. I print it out and then have a polite discussion with the lounge staff on entry who insist on taking a pic of the email and state loudly and clearly that they will write BA with how wrong they are on lounge access rules....but I can enter just this once.

So yes lounge access in the US has been an inconsistent mess for years. This one though is certainly special.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 5:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
Funny thing is that before I use PHL, ORD, SFO BA lounges on a flight with AA, QR etc, I email GGL who state very clearly that I can use the lounges as a GGL on a OW flight. I print it out and then have a polite discussion with the lounge staff on entry who insist on taking a pic of the email and state loudly and clearly that they will write BA with how wrong they are on lounge access rules....but I can enter just this once.

So yes lounge access in the US has been an inconsistent mess for years. This one though is certainly special.
and if all oneworld status passengers on oneworld flights could use the BA PHL lounge how do you think that would go down?

I mean, all power to you with your special dispensation, but you surely must realise there is a sensible reason for those lounges imposing such restrictions. It is far from a mess and not remotely comparable to the current Chelsea farce.
crazyarmadillo likes this.

Last edited by KARFA; Feb 9, 2023 at 5:15 am
Old Feb 9, 2023, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
and if all oneworld status passengers on oneworld flights could use the BA PHL lounge how do you think that would go down?

I mean, all power to you with your special dispensation, but you surely must realise there is a sensible reason for those lounges imposing such restrictions.
Three points for PHL

1- BA, AS, AA and QR are the only OW carriers flying to PHL with AS and AA premium cabin and own elite pax not being able to use the lounge. How many AA INTL or AA/AS non-AA/AS elites are trying to use the lounge? That couldn't be many. AA has cancelled at least 50% of their long haul network out of PHL since COVID-19 and they are not expanding there, at least for the moment. Let's also don't forget that BA has 1 daily service to PHL rather than 2 which was the case before.

2- If there is no room for OW pax, why is BA contacting their lounge for Aer Lingus passengers. This would be 20-25 pax most per day since they use an A321neo with J16 plus their own elites in the back of the curtain.

3- This is the case for years, why isn't the BA contact staff aware of this issue when this question is directed to them. At least the oneworld lounge could be updated stating the capacity constraints at peak hours.

The issue regarding PHL would be solved once the Flagship Lounge opens ( not hopeful that it would be soon though ) but even in the worst case BA could have communicated this issue on their website, or at least inform phone agents rather than passengers learning this rules at the lounge podium and getting denied entry.
jjLDNY likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 3:48 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
1- BA, AS, AA and QR are the only OW carriers flying to PHL with AS and AA premium cabin and own elite pax not being able to use the lounge.
Has IB left oneworld alliance recently?
Old Feb 9, 2023, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaenks
Has IB left oneworld alliance recently?
Does IB fly to PHL other than codeshare flights?
If so, source please?
Old Feb 9, 2023, 4:08 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Does IB fly to PHL other than codeshare flights?
If so, source please?
Sorry, mixed with ORD.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 11:54 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
KARFA - at least when I have gone through PHL and ORD on a OW carrier, the respective lounges have been EMPTY. So yes I get space limitations. Although, my point was more that US BA lounges have for years been a rule to themselves that is obviously different to what BA HQ intends either through GGL line or the one world lounge guide. If BA do not have the space then do not (a) contract them out to non OW partners and (b) state clearly on the one world website and through BA that you cannot access.

to “special dispensation”, it was none of that. I did not ask as a GGL can I get special permission. I simply asked what the lounge access rules are for PHL, ORD etc when flying QR.

so Chelsea does not surprise me, but the backwards and forwards efforts of changing the rules each week is to a new level. As a large organisation, the mind boggles as to how many meetings and sign offs they must be wasting on this.

and imagine if Chelsea was actually a good lounge, we did want to enter……
Old Feb 12, 2023, 4:22 am

Programs: BA.GGL/SK.D/AFKL.Ulti
Morning all,

In the lounge again this AM prior to the 08:05 to LHR. I asked which champagnes were available, and today it seems that only the Moët Ice is. All others had run out - as with half of the breakfast menu 🤭.

Ironic that the WIFI password is avocados when the avocado toast is temporarily unavailable 😛.

Good luck to anyone else on the Krug roulette!
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ohianjo
Morning all,

In the lounge again this AM prior to the 08:05 to LHR. I asked which champagnes were available, and today it seems that only the Moët Ice is. All others had run out - as with half of the breakfast menu 🤭.

Ironic that the WIFI password is avocados when the avocado toast is temporarily unavailable 😛.

Good luck to anyone else on the Krug roulette!
For the Wi-Fi password, the Wi-Fi password is the same among all American Airlines Admirals Club, Flagship Lounge's + these joint lounges.
The only exception to this was when the joint lounges opened, the password for these lounges were "atlantic".
Old Feb 12, 2023, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
I just don't understand how they can still be running out of food and drink, this is not rocket science. The lounge has been open long enough to iron out these issues. Is there a food/drink shortage in New York 🤔 Looking forward to my visit in a couple of weeks 🤦🏻‍♂️
KARFA likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
For the Wi-Fi password, the Wi-Fi password is the same among all American Airlines Admirals Club, Flagship Lounge's + these joint lounges.
The only exception to this was when the joint lounges opened, the password for these lounges were "atlantic".
LOL that makes sense as avocados was the wifi password at AA's Flagship Lounge at ORD when I was there a month ago!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.