Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Jan 26, 2023, 9:47 pm
  #841  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: LDN / NY
Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 552
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Eh, GGLs are really no worse off access wise than when BA was in T7. That’s why I initially questioned the logic of allowing them in on domestic AA itineraries in the first place, back in post #51 here.
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Same for AA flyers, welcome to the club, you're not special.
Not sure on your point here. You were referring to GGLs in a BA forum and saying they do not have a "worse experience", I explained why we did and many after agreed. Now you're comparing the experience to what AA flyers have to deal with.

I don't care what AA flyers have to do as it's not relevant to this sub-forum, thread or conversation.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Are you sure, that flying in Y or J on an AA 3-class flagship/transcon route, as a GGL, you'd get into Flagship First DINING? I think you only got into the Flagship Lounge.
Originally Posted by jjLDNY
There are countless downgrades here. If I were traveling on a flagship route before, I'd have FFD access which again was a significant upgrade to the Chelsea. Pending (continued) entry details, perhaps there's a benefit(!!) for GGLs on a flagship route in Y..
I said if I were traveling on a flagship route before, I'd have FFD access, this is because I would book F or flagship B so that I could use the FFD. I then went on to say that there may be a potential 'new benefit' for GGLs because we have Chelsea access now on flagship routes where we didn't before with the FFD. Further confirming that GGLs did not have free access to the FFD before.

If you want to stick to 'access rules' We could use the CCR in T7 before when using Alaska, or even on AA domestics by going through security twice. So yes, we have inferior access since this move.
jjLDNY is offline  
Old Jan 26, 2023, 10:33 pm
  #842  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Posts: 1,066
Originally Posted by

The sinks look like they were designed by several committees working independently.

[img
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.flyertalk.com-vbulletin/806x605/c_tap_720684f7a4ba6c7858de0994c1cb4e62352ebcab.jpg[/img]
I have to agree with David_Doyle

i have never seen such a ridiculous sink arrangement in all my life. Last night on the way home to LHR I tried to dry my hands and got a face full of dirty water from goodness knows how many previous users. It doesnt just look utterly ridiculous, it is a filthy unhygienic health hazard.
m8_rotate likes this.
HFHFFlyer is offline  
Old Jan 27, 2023, 2:02 am
  #843  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 914
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
I have to agree with David_Doyle

i have never seen such a ridiculous sink arrangement in all my life. Last night on the way home to LHR I tried to dry my hands and got a face full of dirty water from goodness knows how many previous users. It doesnt just look utterly ridiculous, it is a filthy unhygienic health hazard.
I loved reading this in Genius1's trip report on the Soho lounge, but which applies equally here.

"Only two of the four basins have hand dryers, which are cunningly disguised as taps and blow all of the residual basin water back up at you. The automatic soap dispensers (which at least are present at each basin) are similarly disguised, whilst the actual taps complete the trilogy of mysterious metal rods and spurt an irregular flow of tepid water at random intervals."

I'm always perplexed with this type of situation. When something is so unfit for purpose the question has to be asked - did nobody try this out when it was put in?
David_Doyle is offline  
Old Jan 27, 2023, 8:22 am
  #844  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Posts: 7,704
Originally Posted by jjLDNY
I said if I were traveling on a flagship route before, I'd have FFD access, this is because I would book F or flagship B so that I could use the FFD.
But this 'downgrade' has nothing to do with BA or GGL. FFD at JFK was something AA provided for passengers on certain flights in certain cabins. AA removed FFD at JFK and replaced it with, in your opinion, an inferior lounge. GGLs are not worse off, eligible First/Business Plus passengers are.
Andriyko is offline  
Old Jan 27, 2023, 8:38 am
  #845  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: LDN / NY
Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 552
Originally Posted by Andriyko
But this 'downgrade' has nothing to do with BA or GGL. FFD at JFK was something AA provided for passengers on certain flights in certain cabins. AA removed FFD at JFK and replaced it with, in your opinion, an inferior lounge. GGLs are not worse off, eligible First/Business Plus passengers are.
BA flyers that stay within their network and fly premium (and expect premium) are downgraded as there is no premium Oneworld lounge in T7 or T8 now.

Happy?

And when you specify it as "my opinion" that the lounge is inferior to try and diminish my post when you see a 10:1 ratio of the same opinion I question your motives. If anyone can provide positives, which hasn't yet happened other two people enjoying the burger and the added charging points I'd love to understand when you start to accept it as truth. Have you been to the Chelsea at all to even judge? What about it wasn't inferior as I assume you have.
Komodromou and LHRJFK like this.
jjLDNY is offline  
Old Jan 27, 2023, 8:54 am
  #846  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Programs: BA GGL + GfL
Posts: 304
I went in for the first time last Tuesday (GGL flying J to LHR). I quite liked the spacious nature of it and attentive pro-active staff at 1700hrs. By 1900hrs a different picture, staff overwhelmed and a bunch of really loud guys at the bar - as others have said no privacy or sound muffling at all. Food was ok. I watched a chancer get hunted down and ejected half way through his glass of wine - I heard them say but Sir you said you just wanted to sneak a peak!
dca100 and m8_rotate like this.
BA_Pax is offline  
Old Jan 27, 2023, 8:56 am
  #847  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Posts: 7,704
Originally Posted by jjLDNY
Happy?
I'm neither happy nor unhappy. I simply pointed out that GGLs did not lose anything when AA decided to close FFD at JFK.

Originally Posted by jjLDNY
And when you specify it as "my opinion" that the lounge is inferior to try and diminish my post when you see a 10:1 ratio of the same opinion I question your motives.
One does not have to have a motive to mention 'in your opinion.' I was referring to your opinion after all. I visited FFD but I have not been to the new lounges yet, so I have to rely on opinions of others. I guess it would not be incorrect to say, 'according to the prevailing opinion of participants of this thread.' However, since I was responding to the narrower issue of the disappearance of FFD at JFK, to which GGLs never had access on the basis of status only and you were the one who brought it up as a downgrade for GGLs, I quoted and mentioned you only. I just don't see where the loss in benefits for GGLs is. It may be a loss for F/J+ passengers on AA, and I hope to have a chance to form my opinion later in the year, but one cannot lose a benefit one never had in the first place.
dca100 and jjLDNY like this.
Andriyko is offline  
Old Jan 27, 2023, 9:15 am
  #848  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: LDN / NY
Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 552
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I just don't see where the loss in benefits for GGLs is. It may be a loss for F/J+ passengers on AA, and I hope to have a chance to form my opinion later in the year, but one cannot lose a benefit one never had in the first place.
I have been responding to both the devaluation of GGL at JFK as well as the drop in lounge quality so this may have blurred the lines. Ultimately, as a primarily JFK <> LHR flyer (and sometimes other places in NA) I no longer get to access the CCR or the FFD which were superior lounges for my internationals flights, or the rare occasion I fly AS to NA.

As mentioned, there's perhaps a single benefit in all of this, which is for GGLs flying a flagship route from JFK in Y getting Chelsea access (pending further evidence) without going through security twice for CCR. Otherwise these changes have been widely recognized in this thread and other flyer forums as a downgrade of what once was. Considering this was positioned and sold (rightfully so) as what should have been one of the best series of lounges in NA, it's arguably one of the biggest fails in recent times.
Andriyko likes this.
jjLDNY is offline  
Old Jan 27, 2023, 9:21 am
  #849  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 1,602
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I simply pointed out that GGLs did not lose anything when AA decided to close FFD at JFK.
GGLs (and everyone else) flying AA F lost our because FFD was replaced with an inferior lounge with an inferior food offering. GGLs also lose out when flying BA (in any class) because instead of going to the CCR in T7, they get stuck in an inferior lounge with an inferior food offering.

GGLs also lost out more recently in that 2 months ago, they were allowed to access the Chelsea lounge on any AA itinerary in any class. Now they can't. By the way, this wasn't a clarification; it was a change in policy.
RichieMc is offline  
Old Jan 27, 2023, 11:42 am
  #850  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 27,407
Originally Posted by jjLDNY
Not sure on your point here. You were referring to GGLs in a BA forum and saying they do not have a "worse experience", I explained why we did and many after agreed.
I said "really no worse off access-wise" so feel free to just cherry-pick. Sure, you can't use CCR (or it's "equivalent") when flying AS anymore. That was an option on what, two routes? Excuse me while I shed two tears. (And using a T7 lounge when flying from T8 is really a nonstarter.)
I never diminished the reduction in quality of the lounge based on reports, I guess I also just find it odd the BA people are so up at arms about "losing" access to such a terrible place.
Andriyko and dca100 like this.
ijgordon is offline  
Old Jan 27, 2023, 12:03 pm
  #851  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Posts: 826
How is this thread still going? After eight weeks, surely everyone whos so angry and disappointed with this lounge has abandoned BA and taken their business elsewhere in protest?
Andriyko, bafan, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
GumshoeW12 is offline  
Old Jan 27, 2023, 12:10 pm
  #852  
Moderator: Qatar Airways
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: LHR/NCE/MIA
Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Posts: 9,035
I'm in at the moment, and plenty of people are on the phone but I can't hear anything more than when people use their phones in the CCR & FFD in MIA.

Staff are friendly, wifi works, and it gets a lot of "wow this is beautiful" comments from people.

M
aks120 and dca100 like this.
msm2000uk is offline  
Old Jan 27, 2023, 12:35 pm
  #853  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Austria (Vbg)
Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Posts: 1,590
Krug made a reappearance

Just in the Chelsea lounge, and what a surprise, have just been offered a glass of Krug According to the staff it arrived today and replaces the LPGS. First batch since December according to them. Dont know how long it lasts, but at least I have seen one other bottle.

The selection currently available is:

- Krug
- Moet Ice
- LP Rose
- a US based sparkling wine


EDIT: and it seems the LPGS is still available, one other bottle has been found.
ijgordon, seanp7, orbitmic and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Frequent_Flyer1; Jan 27, 2023 at 1:08 pm Reason: Added info:
Frequent_Flyer1 is offline  
Old Jan 27, 2023, 1:05 pm
  #854  
Moderator: Qatar Airways
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: LHR/NCE/MIA
Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Posts: 9,035
Good news - The Concorde Room is coming back!

Genuinely. As a OneWorld lounge.

To be used by Aer Lingus when they move from T5 to T7.

M
msm2000uk is offline  
Old Jan 27, 2023, 1:37 pm
  #855  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: So Cal
Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver
Posts: 2,908
I was wondering how is the water temp in the showers? Did they at least get this right amongst all this other stuff they bombed on?

Hot water is so important to me. The old FL was a joke and never got hot. In fact of the 4 FL's I used (never been to ORD) only LAX was able to actually get hot. Its such an easy fix, just turn up the max temp allowance so those who want a hot shower can have it.

Originally Posted by Frequent_Flyer1
Just in the Chelsea lounge, and what a surprise, have just been offered a glass of Krug According to the staff it arrived today and replaces the LPGS. First batch since December according to them. Dont know how long it lasts, but at least I have seen one other bottle.

The selection currently available is:

- Krug
- Moet Ice
- LP Rose
- a US based sparkling wine


EDIT: and it seems the LPGS is still available, one other bottle has been found.

Wow !! So jealous. I cant believe the Krug showed. I dont get why it has to then replace the LPGS. Why cant these folks just keep both Krug & LPGS so they have one awesome bottle always. Or at least put the order in now for the next case or w/e. They seem to just run out and no one is actually properly managing inventory and ordering. They need a real F& B manager.

Last edited by Prospero; Jan 27, 2023 at 2:23 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts
happiest_at_40000 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.