Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise à jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2024, 6:01 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by rugby23
If it’s all on one booking, you’re on an international itinerary, so yes I think the computer would let you in.
It doesn't need to be on one booking. As long as the inbound qualifies and is same day, the continuation - with Chelsea access - can be on a separate ticket. I've done this a few times now the most recent was last week.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 6:40 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
If it’s all on one booking, you’re on an international itinerary, so yes I think the computer would let you in.

If that’s not the policy now I believe it was around the time of launch, the problem was agents interpreting the itinerary part when presented with just a boarding pass - whereas the computer does see the itinerary.

It could also be it was F inbound that gives/gave you access on the itinerary (rather than GGL) and I’m mis-remembering, although one would hope they’re the same thing in terms of access here.

Please do report back though - and tell us whether they tried scanning it!
Thank you - very useful comments.
I will be all one booking so part of an international itinerary as you say from IST to LAX. I will report back later in March when I'm back.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
It doesn't need to be on one booking. As long as the inbound qualifies and is same day, the continuation - with Chelsea access - can be on a separate ticket. I've done this a few times now the most recent was last week.
the OP is connecting the next day, and I would assume the same-day grant is a class-of-service lounge access benefit (not status based) which is the oneworld connecting policy (which itself wouldn’t automatically apply to Chelsea as this is not a standard oneworld F lounge).

whatever gets us in though!
Old Jan 4, 2024, 5:17 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
... and I would assume the same-day grant is a class-of-service lounge access benefit (not status based)...
No, I don't think that's right. It is status based. GGLs get access to Chelsea if they have flown - amongst other things - transatlantic in any cabin and not necessarily First.
In my case last week, I arrived into JFK from Club World and was entitled to enter Chelsea as I was departing same day on a separate AA ticket.
orbitmic, m8_rotate and rugby23 like this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 8:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Was in the lounge with mrs wj this afternoon from 3 till 5.30. Excellent service. The manager chap was superb host to everyone who came in... and that must be transfering to the staff. Food was good - crab cake and then a bit later the short rib. I asked for a lemonade, expecting Sprite or similar, but they brought a "made from scratch with real lemons" which was lovely.

Not too busy whilst there, but getting busier as we left. Manager in suit was going to be there till midnight i heard him say.

PS we were en route to Miami, having arrived from lhr in F (GUF). So i dont know if access was due to F or my GGL. Mrs is Silver.

Last edited by wanderingjock; Jan 4, 2024 at 8:36 pm Reason: Typo :(
Old Jan 5, 2024, 12:16 am

No, I don't think that's right. It is status based. GGLs get access to Chelsea if they have flown - amongst other things - transatlantic in any cabin and not necessarily First.
In my case last week, I arrived into JFK from Club World and was entitled to enter Chelsea as I was departing same day on a separate AA ticket.
nice - and the departure wasn’t otherwise eligible (eg not intl or transcon?)
Old Jan 5, 2024, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
the OP is connecting the next day, and I would assume the same-day grant is a class-of-service lounge access benefit (not status based) which is the oneworld connecting policy (which itself wouldn’t automatically apply to Chelsea as this is not a standard oneworld F lounge).

whatever gets us in though!
nice - and the departure wasn’t otherwise eligible (eg not intl or transcon?)
Actually, it's both same-day-of-arrival/departure access both for AA Flagship First / BA First & BA GGL / AA CKEY ( on eligible routings ) despite the cabin and this is not something to do with OW policy but due to do with AA policies which aligned with BA GGL when the policies for Chelsea were shaping up.

It not well known but a BA GGL could also use that lounge as an arrival lounge after coming from a qualifying flight so if someone is arriving from an international or transcontinental flight; there is no onward boarding pass requirement so theoretically you are able to use the Chelsea Lounge even if you are just arriving from Los Angeles in Y as a GGL so the onward flight doesn't matter in this case.
wanderingjock and m8_rotate like this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 10:05 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If it's the new TSA ID/passport scanners that are in place, the system would say yes for a next day booking if checked in.

I have experience entering the AA Flagship Lounge JFK ( pre joint-lounge era ) the previous day by clearing TSA at 10pm during an overnight layover and the officer didn't even care about my departure date since their system said yes.
I think it's worth mentioning line dragons will sometimes refuse entry to even get to the point of interacting with TSA. It's really the worst.
Their knowledge of the line-entry rules they're supposed to know (literally their only job) is outpaced drastically by the confidence with which they behave. Actually, I'm not quite sure why there are line-entry rules or dragons; either the relevant security framework can let a passenger through, or not (in the case of the US, that might be the TSA). Sigh.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
I think it's worth mentioning line dragons will sometimes refuse entry to even get to the point of interacting with TSA. It's really the worst.
Their knowledge of the line-entry rules they're supposed to know (literally their only job) is outpaced drastically by the confidence with which they behave. Actually, I'm not quite sure why there are line-entry rules or dragons; either the relevant security framework can let a passenger through, or not (in the case of the US, that might be the TSA). Sigh.
You could ignore those line dragons / ushers, the TSA would not even care as at most airports they are not sponsored by any government authority in the USA.
And in JFK T8 you could always avoid them by using the First Wing.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 3:14 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
You could ignore those line dragons / ushers, the TSA would not even care as at most airports they are not sponsored by any government authority in the USA.
And in JFK T8 you could always avoid them by using the First Wing.
Literally, just walk past them? Sometimes they're blocking the queue, either physically, or with their excessive bravado. I'm actually not sure why they're there, perhaps many years ago there were too many people trying to enter the security line without a same day boarding pass.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'm actually not sure why they're there, perhaps many years ago there were too many people trying to enter the security line without a same day boarding pass.
It's mainly to direct people into the standard, priority or pre check lanes. Many people seem to lose all common sense when in an airport so the line dragons are policing that. For people who know what they're doing / where they're going it does become tiresome having to deal with them.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 5:49 am
Formerly richh1833

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
Another question on the eligibility rules. Looking at GGL benefits site:

You can also take advantage of our exclusive Chelsea lounge at New York JFK Terminal 8 when you travel on a scheduled long-haul flight with British Airways, or a long-haul, transcontinental or international short-haul flight with American Airlines.

Likewise, a guest may join you when you’re flying with either airline, or two guests when flying in First with British Airways or American Airlines. (Passengers flying with other oneworld airlines are unable to access this lounge but can enjoy our other two lounges).
If I (GGL) was flying Economy JFK-SFO on AA, and my colleague was flying JFK-LHR on BA , I should be able to gain entry and bring my guest in is that correct?
Old Jan 8, 2024, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Literally, just walk past them? Sometimes they're blocking the queue, either physically, or with their excessive bravado. I'm actually not sure why they're there, perhaps many years ago there were too many people trying to enter the security line without a same day boarding pass.
Exactly yes, just ignoring them, they would shout behind you as their ego would go to top level trying to stop you but if you do ignore them nothing would happen.

Originally Posted by TheSYDTraveller

If I (GGL) was flying Economy JFK-SFO on AA, and my colleague was flying JFK-LHR on BA , I should be able to gain entry and bring my guest in is that correct?
Yes, correct.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Do they serve the champagne in the AM? Arriving on an overnight T-con and have a few hours to kill before the domestic connection.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by st530
Do they serve the champagne in the AM? Arriving on an overnight T-con and have a few hours to kill before the domestic connection.
Monday to Saturday they can’t serve before 8am and it is 10am on Sundays as far as I am aware.

Pilot37
m8_rotate likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.