Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Apr 24, 2024, 8:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I've had it in the past (it's been there before).
Hmm. I don't think it has been there before.They've had 3 menus in total (temporary no-steak paper menu aside after launch), with a Prawn Cocktail, and then the dreaded Shrimp Avocado roll that didn't photograph well at all.

Which secret menu did you have?!

Anyway from the pictures it looks absolutely fine, I was expecting a a much wetter looking dish but this looks refreshing.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by alexwuk
I'm sure many here will disagree, but I think the F&B offering in the Chelsea now (Steak restored, fab crabcakes, Dom/Krug/Cristal as champagne offerings) is the best in any airline lounge in the world.
I think the food menu can be better at SYD QF F, ZRH LX F, (and I'm sure others will highlight CX etc) but I guess it's just what you are into. The champagne you are right, but when I flew late March it was LPGS only. If they can keep the supplies of Krug/Cristal up, it's probably the best lounge worldwide for champagne and cocktails (Chelsea does an EXCELLENT Manhattan). Not sure about premium scotch / bourbon / tequila / etc, though - does Chelsea have JW Blue and the like? (I don't drink Scotch).

Chelsea is, these days, a lounge to look forward to - agreed on that. It's miles ahead of QR's Al Safwa too (who would have predicted that 5 years ago?!)
alexwuk and Football Fan like this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 6:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Right now can only see JW Black, no blue - but for me I can see both Laphroaig and Lagavulin and they trump JW blue anyway (certainly not in price, I accept - but in taste). Maybe, like the Cristal, there is more "under the counter".
seanp7 and dnajockey like this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seanp7
I think the food menu can be better at SYD QF F, ZRH LX F, (and I'm sure others will highlight CX etc) but I guess it's just what you are into.
I dont think anyone can touch AF in CDG for the F though their B isnt particularly special.
seanp7 and orbitmic like this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I dont think anyone can touch AF in CDG for the F though their B isnt particularly special.
Agreed. The La Premiere lounge is heads and shoulders above this for food in particular. To be honest, I'd personally say that AA FFD at MIA and DFW also has better food than Chelsea despite my steak being very good indeed (sides were average, the shrimp starter is generous but bland though it has changed from the shrimp and grapefruit I had been served there before).

Whilst the Chelsea Champagne offering is currently very good (yes, I do love Cristal), the wine list is mediocre at best and multiple lounges do much better than Chelsea on that front. So no, to me, Chelsea is nowhere near the best in the world for F&B despite their Champagne offering yesterday being the best I have had of my visits without needing to do a secret dance and what not.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 11:11 am

I think the past reviews forgot to mention that the Sirloin is shared between chef and other guests before it gets to you!

It does however scratch the itch for a steak so kudos there. Will be ordering again. The Croquettes however whilst visually appealing, were a little cold and only gave the taste of potato so could do with some herbs or something. May order for the table but not for myself.

Overall however their presentation has clearly been leveled up which gives it a much more exclusive feel.

LPGS today.

seanp7 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I have to say neither of my sirloin in the last week was sliced like that. I had a very big one the first time, then less big (but a lot more tender) the second time, but both times it was a proper steak. I'd say the first was not far off 300g, the second more like 200-250.
jjLDNY likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 11:49 am

I have to say neither of my sirloin in the last week was sliced like that. I had a very big one the first time, then less big (but a lot more tender) the second time, but both times it was a proper steak. I'd say the first was not far off 300g, the second more like 200-250.
Hah. I guess they're still working on the presentation then.

I'm regular enough that I'll just ask for the full steak next time to be sure. But I'm not totally against this format as historically I'd definitely say it was a 'good portion' and likely more than some would want.
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 9:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA GfL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Good Morning from Chelsea, here until about 18:00
Old May 3, 2024, 10:05 am

Programs: BAEC GGLfL
Whilst the Chelsea Champagne offering is currently very good (yes, I do love Cristal), the wine list is mediocre at best and multiple lounges do much better than Chelsea on that front. So no, to me, Chelsea is nowhere near the best in the world for F&B despite their Champagne offering yesterday being the best I have had of my visits without needing to do a secret dance and what not.
Completely. The Chelsea isn't even the best lounge on the BA network. As you say, it is nowhere near the best in the world (who suggested that???). The bizarrely random Champagne offering does not make up for the fact that the rest of the wines are pedestrian. Indeed, whoever selects the wines is not even trying to impress anyone other than the beancounters. There is no cheese, and the rest of the food is no better than a gastropub, served in a windowless, stuffy box, with furniture of a quality and layout not dissimilar from that you'd expect to find in the waiting room of an upmarket dentist.
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA GfL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Finland Station
Completely. The Chelsea isn't even the best lounge on the BA network. As you say, it is nowhere near the best in the world (who suggested that???). The bizarrely random Champagne offering does not make up for the fact that the rest of the wines are pedestrian. Indeed, whoever selects the wines is not even trying to impress anyone other than the beancounters. There is no cheese, and the rest of the food is no better than a gastropub, served in a windowless, stuffy box, with furniture of a quality and layout not dissimilar from that you'd expect to find in the waiting room of an upmarket dentist.
Good evening of the "windowless, stuffy phone box"
For my calls in the morning I went over to a corner at SOHO.
Old May 3, 2024, 3:14 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by klaus79856
Good Morning from Chelsea, here until about 18:00
If you're still here and would like to say hello I'm sitting in the first work booth (the one closest to the fireplace).
Old May 3, 2024, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by klaus79856
Good evening of the "windowless, stuffy phone box"
For my calls in the morning I went over to a corner at SOHO.
Yes taking calls in there is awful no matter where you're sat. I went to the soho last time and took a phonebox since I didn't fancy broadcasting my business, or disturbing someone's dining area sirloin whilst sat in a metre away in the doorless booth where the mains socket results in you having to put the laptop almost on your lap!

I'll be back again in an hour, so will see if they've made any changes to the steak in question.
Old May 3, 2024, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
The idea that the Chelsea would be the best lounge in the world is beyond parody, To even fall into the top 25, it would need:

- windows
- privacy
- acoustics better than a Greyhound waiting room
- agents at the desk who knew who was allowed to enjoy access
- a wine list better than a chain restaurant
- champagnes that were available to all its patrons and not just a select few who tip
- table service that didnt resemble a Queens diner
- food consistency
- toilets that didnt resemble a used bathroom fitting store
- management that had actually seen a first class lounge in Asia or Europe
Old May 3, 2024, 5:11 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Here now, unfortunately LPGS only tonight
Was looking forward to trying Cristal!

My first time back since the recent menu change. Honestly I wasnt impressed with the food. The potato croquettes were very bland and just tasted like unseasoned fried mashed potatoes. Waste of calories
The Steak doesnt compare at all to the old steak frites. Shouldve stuck to the crab cakes only as thats probably the best item on the current menu.

Wont be back until end of the month, hopefully some Cristal then!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.