Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise à jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Dec 7, 2023, 3:01 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
So the solution at Chelsea to move staff, really meant bringing in a river of new staff.

I've never seen so many staff, including three in the bar pod.

M
Old Dec 10, 2023, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
So, I have visited the Chelsea Lounge twice this week and here is my consensus;

Offering wise, Krug was available on my first visit and I apparently had the glass at that time and the Dom Vintage, LPGS and Dom Rosé Lady Gaga version was also available on both of my visits.

The new food menu is great and I'll rate it equal quality with the previous menu and it's much better than the initial menu.
While, the ribs were nice, it is not as the same quality as the steak and I'll consider it as a downgrade where the size of the protein on the ribs shrinked 25% compared to the steak.

Breakfast wise, there has also been changes that are not reported yet here;
A new omelette with mushroom & gruyere cheese and a tomato & mozzarella tartine are added to the menu and the French Toast now has an Apple Cinnamon flavor.
The bacon sandwich has a new name ( bacon butty ) and the seasonal cereal is a blueberry muesli now.
The Avocado Toast and the Açai, Granola, Berry Bowl is no longer served.

Service wise, the staff were excellent as usual. On one of the visits, the new manager was also there and he was very professional, rotating every table, checking if everything was OK, and coordinating the lounge staff.

Regarding the new staff discussion, I had encountered staff from three different shifts ( one of my visits included a shift change ) and almost most of the staff are existing staff with some new additions. However, most of the staff that I've seen were ex-AA Flagship Lounge and ex-AA Flagship First Dining staff rather than the ex-BA CCR staff which I was only able to see two of them. One of them told me that they would be rotated between Soho and Chelsea while new staff additions are coming, while some of the ex-BA staff are now at the Soho Lounge as already reported upthread. Also, some of the brand new staff are coming from other lounges in JFK managed by the same catering company; as an example, one of the new staff members was previously at one of the Terminal 4 lounges as what she told. Also one of the Chelsea bartenders apparently quit for a better job but I doubt that is something regarding this change.

Attaching the new breakfast menu & the omelette as it's not yet posted.

And the Spicy Rigatoni which has not been posted yet from the lunch/dinner menu
Photo below is a small portion

Old Dec 11, 2023, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
I visited the lounge last week. A couple of observations based on previous visits (1) Of the new menu, we really enjoyed the crab cake. Short rib was definitely sub par compared to the steak. We also had the burger which was off menu (2) We actually had the old staff over at Chelsea our day with the new manager. Everyone was nice and friendly. New manager seemed eager to meet everyone and was circling the bar and tables (3) Champagne-wise, just LPGS, which they subsequently ran out of.
SleepySynapse likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 6:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Gberg
I visited the lounge last week. A couple of observations based on previous visits (1) Of the new menu, we really enjoyed the crab cake. Short rib was definitely sub par compared to the steak. We also had the burger which was off menu (2) We actually had the old staff over at Chelsea our day with the new manager. Everyone was nice and friendly. New manager seemed eager to meet everyone and was circling the bar and tables (3) Champagne-wise, just LPGS, which they subsequently ran out of.
Also in last week and absolutely agree about the new manager; welcoming everyone as they entered and very proactive.

Same comment about the sub-par short rib. Also the mushroom and black truffle tart was a questionable middle temperature (too cold to be served hot, too warm to be served cold).

No Krug; I had the (single) last glass of Dom, then LPGS available. It seems they are rationing the bottles of Premium Champagne and, on the day I was in, it worked out rather less than one bottle per hour.

Also none of my first choice of red wine available, despite being offered to me a moment earlier. Instead I tried a Port, which was served in an espresso cup (??) and had the taste of having been left open too long.
ryanbriar likes this.

Last edited by SleepySynapse; Dec 11, 2023 at 6:40 pm
Old Dec 12, 2023, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Access to Chelsea as GGL on AA flight to Mexico (via Miami)

Hoping the experts can answer my query on access to Chelsea: I'm flying from JFK with AA to Merida in Mexico but via Miami (AA only flies to Merida from Miami and Dallas). Would I have access to Chelsea as a GGL since Mexico qualifies (AA short-haul international) and is my final destination or would I need to be on a nonstop AA flight from JFK (say, to Cancun) to be allowed in?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by De_Warens
Hoping the experts can answer my query on access to Chelsea: I'm flying from JFK with AA to Merida in Mexico but via Miami (AA only flies to Merida from Miami and Dallas). Would I have access to Chelsea as a GGL since Mexico qualifies (AA short-haul international) and is my final destination or would I need to be on a nonstop AA flight from JFK (say, to Cancun) to be allowed in?

Thanks in advance.
Yes you would be admitted, be prepared to have your GGL card and your Miami to Merida boarding pass handy for inspection as they would scan it and tell them that you are a GGL on an international itinerary.
If you are clueless, they might try to send you to the Soho Lounge as they might think that you're only Emerald.
ryanbriar and De_Warens like this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 1:24 pm

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I'm assuming the new Manager is the slightly older guy with light-ish hair?

I'm back in this evening, so will get myself an introduction!

M
Old Dec 12, 2023, 3:54 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
I liked the pasta. No Krug, "only" Dom (Gaga Rosé and normal). New manager very "active". Seemed like there was more staff than before. Didn't see Rona around.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 5:59 pm

Rona is back in Chelsea and has been told she is staying in this lounge - despite most of her colleagues being moved into Soho. One of the original Chelsea team is floating, and she's far happier today than last week when the new staff were tripping over each other.

The new Chelsea Lounge Manager nearly quit on his third day because he realised he had made an error in moving staff around - to the extent that BA Management are flying in on Wednesday to observe, with feedback expected Thursday.

He and I had a pretty frank conversation, but his vision for the space would be better suited to a Club opposed to an airport lounge.

Anyway, he's the expert not me, but the next few days are going to be very interesting.

I'm back in 2 weeks, so I'll update.

M
Old Dec 12, 2023, 10:12 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Rona is back in Chelsea and has been told she is staying in this lounge - despite most of her colleagues being moved into Soho. One of the original Chelsea team is floating, and she's far happier today than last week when the new staff were tripping over each other.

The new Chelsea Lounge Manager nearly quit on his third day because he realised he had made an error in moving staff around - to the extent that BA Management are flying in on Wednesday to observe, with feedback expected Thursday.

He and I had a pretty frank conversation, but his vision for the space would be better suited to a Club opposed to an airport lounge.

Anyway, he's the expert not me, but the next few days are going to be very interesting.

I'm back in 2 weeks, so I'll update.

M
my sense is BA managers love to take a preChristmas shopping trip to new york
doubt it is a genuine response to customer or any other feedback
but I hope I’m wrong
Haven’t seen a timely reaction from BA management to demands of premium customers since being a GGL some 10 years ago
Old Dec 13, 2023, 1:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Yes, be prepared to present your long-haul J boarding pass and have your physical/digital GGL card ready just in case the agents can't see your GGL status at the first glimpse on their computer.
Just don't mention any domestic and you would be fine and a verbiage like " I am a British Airways Gold Guest List member on a Flagship international itinerary " would be enough.
Apologies but slightly confused here. Is access correctly granted on the basis of it being a GGL flying on a connecting flight on same booking from a BA longhaul? JFK-BOS isn't Flagship.

I am flying JER-LHR-HEL-JFK-MIA next year (All J with overnight in NYC) and was not expecting access TBH. All the flights are BA prefixed, BA ticket but of course HEL-JFK is Finnair.

I'll need to reread this thread to find the latest access rules.....
Old Dec 15, 2023, 9:35 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
I wouldn't bank on it due to the overnight.
That being said, the Chelsea desk has gotten more flexible lately.
In the worst case, SoHo isn't all that bad either :P
David_Doyle likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 11:31 am

Usual Delta flyer popping in with a lounge access question. Flying in I guess what is called Business on American - JFK to Madrid. Not the Business PLUS class. Are we able to access this lounge or do we go to different one? Thanks everyone!
Old Dec 15, 2023, 11:38 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by sonkie23
Usual Delta flyer popping in with a lounge access question. Flying in I guess what is called Business on American - JFK to Madrid. Not the Business PLUS class. Are we able to access this lounge or do we go to different one? Thanks everyone!
You go to a different one. Greenwich if no OneWorld status.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
You go to a different one. Greenwich if no OneWorld status.
Thanks. Haven't flown American in years so def no status. Thank you!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.