Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Dec 8, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: BAEC
Wonder whether this might drive some people to book EWR flights, where there's still a BA lounge with First dining...
Old Dec 8, 2022, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I’ve just booked my next JFK with VS because of this. Haven’t used them in years but I do at least 10 JFKs a year and it may be time to give them a second hearing.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
sad to be reading the above comments.

I was there on Saturday 2nd and Tuesday 6th and sadly echo a lot of the above.

Menu on Saturday had the steak still on it but was told they were out. By Tuesday, the menu had been reprinted and no steak. The menu was leading with burger and veg burger and included fish & chips.

I ordered the lamb and was told they were out of Couscous so they replaced it with rice. The prawn cocktail was overdressed though the side chips we ordered were tasty. There was a lone salt and pepper on one of the ables which I had to fetch myself. No bread offered. No butter. I overheard someone else asking for a manager to give the feedback that he'd asked for butter 4 times. A couple next to us had to send the burger back (not sure why) and wait for a new one. They said to a neighbour of theirs that it was 'chalk and cheese' compared to the CCR.

My travel companion asked for the wine list and a BA CCR long-time server very embarrassedly came back (upon checking) to advise that there wasn't one. The bar service seemed very slow for my coffee and water.

By contrast, as a space, Soho is beautiful though the food buffet looked very average.
gustavmahler likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by chris1979
sad to be reading the above comments.

Menu on Saturday had the steak still on it but was told they were out. By Tuesday, the menu had been reprinted and no steak. The menu was leading with burger and veg burger and included fish & chips.

I ordered the lamb and was told they were out of Couscous so they replaced it with rice. The prawn cocktail was overdressed though the side chips we ordered were tasty. There was a lone salt and pepper on one of the ables which I had to fetch myself. No bread offered. No butter. I overheard someone else asking for a manager to give the feedback that he'd asked for butter 4 times. A couple next to us had to send the burger back (not sure why) and wait for a new one. They said to a neighbour of theirs that it was 'chalk and cheese' compared to the CCR.

My travel companion asked for the wine list and a BA CCR long-time server very embarrassedly came back (upon checking) to advise that there wasn't one. The bar service seemed very slow for my coffee and water.

By contrast, as a space, Soho is beautiful though the food buffet looked very average.

I didn't realize that they were still using that (what seemed to be temporary) menu. Could the next person to visit ask the obvious question, "Why haven't you been able to source steak for the last 7 days?". Considering the only reports of steak were on the grand opening Friday, I just can't understand why they haven't been able to stock it, or any of their champagnes in meaningful quantity. It is surely costing them so much more in the long-run by providing such terrible experiences which will result in (like it already has with @HFHFFlyer) having PAX opt for other airlines to fly F. What makes it worse is that this is during opening week, a week where people will judge it the most harshly.

Staff shortages happen, someone overlooked the workload given the space is larger than the FFD.
The interior someone dropped the ball on, and now it's out of their control.

Ordering 30 steaks for a week is such an obvious failing of whoever's role it is in the kitchen, and the someone outside of the kitchen for not checking. Running out of steaks on day 1 and then not just at this point getting a cab to a supplier the next morning is a choice someone has felt it appropriate to make for their Flagship lounge.
csdavidson likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
There was a lone salt and pepper on one of the ables which I had to fetch myself.

[...]

My travel companion asked for the wine list and a BA CCR long-time server very embarrassedly came back (upon checking) to advise that there wasn't one.
Yes, two things I forgot in my review a bit upthread. I am pretty much addicted to pepper mills and add pepper on much of what I eat (including a few specific desserts even!) but here there was no salt or pepper on the tables or available. Surely, that's not something one runs out of as they do Krug or steaks and soles?

There was also no wine list and a person who asked when I was there was basically invited to stand up and look with the waitress at the little fridge in which the bottles are. Classy.

Can't comment on bread or butter as I didn't ask for/wanted any.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 6:06 pm

As a long time lurker, but never poster (thank you everyone here - the information has been invaluable over the years!), I was surprised to find myself driven to actually say something for once.

That out of the way, and given the quote above

Ironically I was handed a menu a short time ago that included the burger and lamb tagine, only when trying to order the lamb to be told they didnt have it, only an unlisted steak.

The steak was pleasant enough, and the fries surprisingly good. Sadly the pieces of plastic in the garlic/lemon butter were a bit of a let down, as was the fact it took an hour to arrive.

The atmosphere is also very different to the old CCR. An especially loud crowd at the bar generally adding to the feeling that the old, understated, quality experience has gone. I do hope things improve with time. As it is Im going to take the (hopefully as good as usual) advice upthread and try the Soho lounge.

Good luck all, in this brave new world.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 6:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Originally Posted by tomalpha
As a long time lurker, but never poster (thank you everyone here - the information has been invaluable over the years!), I was surprised to find myself driven to actually say something for once
Welcome to the (posting!) forum tomalpha - now you've broken the seal, please do keep contributing, and maybe you can help add to the trove of information you have so appreciated!

This lounge situation is dire. I haven't the slightest urge to visit it, whereas before it opened I was considering routing an F trip from NYC just to enjoy the new offering. So disappointing.
orbitmic and tomalpha like this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by tomalpha
Sadly the pieces of plastic in the garlic/lemon butter were a bit of a let down, as was the fact it took an hour to arrive
Pieces of plastic?
Old Dec 8, 2022, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by golfer20
Pieces of plastic?
Yes. I was quite surprised. I *think* the circle of garlicky butter on the top of the steak may have come in a sturdy, but clear, plastic wrap in the kitchen, and it was left on when added to the steak somehow. By the time I noticed I was picking bits out from my teeth.

I would say, because I do like to try and find a positive where I can, that the entire pre-lounge checkin experience was very good indeed. The new area is lovely, and It Just Worked. Had I not had Precheck then I might have felt differently as the First and Gold line (as the TSA agent called it) was quite long, No line for Precheck at all though and the checkin agent walked me to the TSA booth.

Also, the Soho lounge did look quite nice, albeit busy and hard to find a seat in. It was louder (but in a natural way), and the windows over the runway make for a much nicer feel.
crazyarmadillo and Tobias-UK like this.

Last edited by tomalpha; Dec 8, 2022 at 8:21 pm
Old Dec 8, 2022, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by noFODplease
Welcome to the (posting!) forum tomalpha - now you've broken the seal, please do keep contributing, and maybe you can help add to the trove of information you have so appreciated!
Thank you, much appreciated. I shall try if I can.

Originally Posted by noFODplease
This lounge situation is dire. I haven't the slightest urge to visit it, whereas before it opened I was considering routing an F trip from NYC just to enjoy the new offering. So disappointing.
I like to think the situation will improve. At least in certain aspects. The atmosphere I suspect wont change - there are now more lounge users, and they are of a different mix to before. However I expect (and hope!) that the service will get better over time.

I wont be allowing quite as much time to spend in the lounge as I used to when Im next passing through, but also wont miss the dreadful T7 security experience! That does seem to be a thing of the past.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 8:58 pm

This thread is invaluable: there is no extra benefit in booking First. Before American did away with Flagship First Dining, it was one of the reasons to pay up as the service and food were top notch, and they did serve Krug (at least during the holiday season). Now, we are left to wonder whether the food even of the Flagship Lounge level has been diluted: JFK Flgship buffet by chef Ayesha Nurdjaja had been pretty good since Covid...
Old Dec 8, 2022, 9:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Bloggers who write negatively about any experience will not be invited back again. Its that simple. Imagine the worst BA lounge in their network and find an appropriately scathing review. Doesnt exist. These people are no more objective than your average dimfluencer on instagram.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA
I'll be flying a late AA F transcon this Saturday with (most likely) ~3 hr to kill in JFK - Will try to put together some more objective comments and take more photos.

If you'll also be in JFK Saturday, welcome to DM.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
Now, we are left to wonder whether the food even of the Flagship Lounge level has been diluted: JFK Flgship buffet by chef Ayesha Nurdjaja had been pretty good since Covid...
There is no more Flagship lounge at JFK; its now the Greenwich lounge, and the food offering is broadly the same as the Soho lounge (minus the QR code menu, when its working).
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 4:00 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, United Premier Silver; Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist

The latest menu for the Chelsea Lounge. No Krug but was offered LPGS which was a nice touch. Good to see theyve added a wine & beer menu as that seemed to be missing last week. For food, I felt inspired by Fernandez & Wells and they created a black pudding sandwich for me.
JTXC and Tobias-UK like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.