Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise ŗ jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Jan 9, 2024, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Pilot37
Monday to Saturday they canít serve before 8am and it is 10am on Sundays as far as I am aware.

Pilot37
Thanks, does that mean they do serve it starting at those hours?
Old Jan 9, 2024, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by st530
Thanks, does that mean they do serve it starting at those hours?
Yes.
st530 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold
11 Jan Visit 715-1145 am

Arrived early to a relatively empty lounge (maybe 10-15 others) and crashed in the resting area for a couple of hours as I was quite tired.

Had a nice shower and enjoyed the space (no knocks).

Sat down for breakfast around 10 am and got the mushroom and gruyere omelet. Tasty and well presented. The attendant told me the signature champagne choices were Dom and Cristal. Started with the Dom and was rather disappointed. Never saw the bottle or the pour but it lacked the “cake-y” taste I always enjoy from Dom.

Around 11 I was asked if I wanted to see the all-day menu. I did and chose the crab cake and truffle mushroom tart. The crab cake came first and I paired that with Ruinart which I liked better than the Dom. The crab cake was delicious albeit a bit salty.

Finally, I asked for Cristal as I waited for the tart. This was my favorite champagne of the three. The tart was also quite tasty although I only had a bite or two as I needed to catch my flight. When I left, I was the only person in the lounge.

Menus are posted below (same as most recent) along with the food. Everything was well presented and the staff were professional and polished.

Last edited by golfmad; Jan 11, 2024 at 3:01 pm Reason: Pictures reduced for ease of readability
Old Jan 16, 2024, 7:45 am

Uncomfortable experience

Had a very strange experience at this lounge yesterday. Used to come quite often but this was my first visit in about 8 months.

I asked the manager (man with gray hair) for Dom and/or Krug when I sat down at the bar. He claimed they had run out of both. I said thatís fine and ordered Moet instead. 10 mins later someone else sits at the bar and orders Krug and this man without hesitation goes and gets it from the back.

I asked the bartender what was going on and she sheepishly said that the manager doesnít like to give the premium champagnes to everyone. At this point, I was quite upset and made a comment to the manager who made up some nonsense about forgetting they had it in stock and having to ďpull some stringsĒ to get it. He ends up pouring me a glass of Krug but looked extremely annoyed that I even found out they had it.

The head of the hospitality group that oversees the lounge overheard what happened and came over to personally apologize. Incredibly nice guy - gave me his card and assured me he would better train the staff to treat all customers equally. For what itís worth, the bartenders were very professional through the whole thing and almost seemed apologetic for their managerís behavior.

Genuinely quite surprised by this treatment. For what itís worth, I donít necessarily ďlookĒ like a Chelsea lounge user (younger guy, non-white) and I do wonder if that had something to do with the treatment.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by misterbeej
Genuinely quite surprised by this treatment. For what itís worth, I donít necessarily ďlookĒ like a Chelsea lounge user (younger guy, non-white) and I do wonder if that had something to do with the treatment.
Sorry to hear of your experience, doesn't sound great.

I am white and younger and this is typically my experience - really hit or miss. Not sure what time you were there but for the JFK-LHR routes I find early or late is best and they will have what you need in their 'secret' steel refrigerators. For other day-time routes usually it's ok on the whole.
IndyHoosier, 86BA7 and m8_rotate like this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 9:07 am

Is it likely that they will ever revert back to the steak instead of the ribs?
Really miss the steak, the ribs are pretty average in my view.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 9:31 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
For what it’s worth, I don’t necessarily “look” like a Chelsea lounge user (younger guy, non-white) and I do wonder if that had something to do with the treatment.
As I was reading your post, before I got to this sentence, I was wondering if that could have been an explanation for his disgraceful conduct.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by TWA884
As I was reading your post, before I got to this sentence, I was wondering if that could have been an explanation for his disgraceful conduct.
Explanation but far from excuse.

It turns out, a month back or so, I had a similar encounter at Chelsea. I am also on the younger side. Not my first time with this treatment - I had a terrible experience months ago at DFW where an AA agent refused to grant me entry to the priority bag check lane, even after seeing OW Emerald on the boarding pass.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:12 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by golfer20
Definitely not an excuse. I didn't mean to infer that it was; there is no justification for disparate treatment based upon age and/or race/ethnicity.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Mucci
Had a very strange experience at this lounge yesterday. Used to come quite often but this was my first visit in about 8 months.

I asked the manager (man with gray hair) for Dom and/or Krug when I sat down at the bar. He claimed they had run out of both. I said that’s fine and ordered Moet instead. 10 mins later someone else sits at the bar and orders Krug and this man without hesitation goes and gets it from the back.

I asked the bartender what was going on and she sheepishly said that the manager doesn’t like to give the premium champagnes to everyone. At this point, I was quite upset and made a comment to the manager who made up some nonsense about forgetting they had it in stock and having to “pull some strings” to get it. He ends up pouring me a glass of Krug but looked extremely annoyed that I even found out they had it.

The head of the hospitality group that oversees the lounge overheard what happened and came over to personally apologize. Incredibly nice guy - gave me his card and assured me he would better train the staff to treat all customers equally. For what it’s worth, the bartenders were very professional through the whole thing and almost seemed apologetic for their manager’s behavior.

Genuinely quite surprised by this treatment. For what it’s worth, I don’t necessarily “look” like a Chelsea lounge user (younger guy, non-white) and I do wonder if that had something to do with the treatment.
Well done for persisting and getting what you asked for in the end.

Please take this further.
Absolutely disgraceful behaviour, I would have been furious.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can't help but wonder what the driving force is behind this concept of rationing the good stuff. How far up or down the chain of command is this coming from. Like from AA corporate? Is the staff taking it upon themselves given there are limited supplies and they're trying to curry favor with the regulars (who may tip a lot)?
EuropeanPete and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Can't help but wonder what the driving force is behind this concept of rationing the good stuff. How far up or down the chain of command is this coming from. Like from AA corporate? Is the staff taking it upon themselves given there are limited supplies and they're trying to curry favor with the regulars (who may tip a lot)?
You raise a good point and it seems to be spreading like cancer. There are a couple of English people who persistently tip in there, which I find bewildering, but each to their own I guess.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by golfer20

It turns out, a month back or so, I had a similar encounter at Chelsea. I am also on the younger side. Not my first time with this treatment - I had a terrible experience months ago at DFW where an AA agent refused to grant me entry to the priority bag check lane, even after seeing OW Emerald on the boarding pass.
were you sat at the bar? This is where I find it happening most often. Admittedly since my boycott (flying out of Newark for a while) and the change of staff itís got better. But shouldnít really have to think about this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ijgordon
It is the States. What do you think? I sincerely doubt anyone in AA corporate is saying donít give Krug to anyone who doesnít quite look right.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
It is the States. What do you think? I sincerely doubt anyone in AA corporate is saying don’t give Krug to anyone who doesn’t quite look right.
Well I wasn't insinuating that.But I think it's reasonable to wonder how heavy-handed AA corporate (and BA by secondary influence I gather) is being. Like are they giving the lounge manager an overall F&B budget, which would be the most hands-off. Or are they more closely involved in making sure there's some ultra-premium champagne (but not enough for everyone!) -- e.g., they're actually doing the procurement, not the lounge manager. Or are they more directly telling the manager to save the ultra-premium for their "best" customers, as opposed to first-come-first-served? Obviously implementation of "save it for the best customers" can lead to all sorts of undesirable behaviors. Is there a "fair" way to do that? Maybe. I think the AF La Premiere lounge in CDG has some VIP-only options, but maybe they're more discreet. (Doesn't mean they're not judging VIP based on appearances).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.