Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise ŗ jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
It sounds like the manager is the initial problem, and "saving" premium Champagne for perceived VVIP's (how does one determine this?). Whether the manager has pressure from above not to go through 10 cases a week of Krug, who knows.

On my visit, Dec 15, the manager was nowhere to be seen and the bartender and restaurant servers pulled 7-10 bottles of Krug/LPGS/Cristal from the back, transferring to the bar (closed) fridge - the "good" fridge - and premium champagne was flowing. Whether the team got a talking to after Dec 15, saying please check in with the manager first, etc, I do not know.

FWIW, I did tip something upfront - but I honestly do not think that matters. YMMV.

Last edited by seanp7; Jan 16, 2024 at 6:26 pm
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:34 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Not had an issue getting the 'premium' champagne, haven't tipped either.
My guess is that Sodexo Live! put a bid in without knowing how much BA customers drink champagne, so supplies are 'limited' despite pressure from AA/BA
Old Jan 23, 2024, 7:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Menu from last night. The crab cake was good, as was the short rib. The trifle was odd in terms of taste - my own fault, Rona recommended the bread pudding and I didnít listen!

Old Jan 23, 2024, 11:51 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
The food we've had recently has much improved from it's initial opening , over a year ago now, time flies.

Last week, we had the curry bisque, sweet potato and salmon, must have just missed you karfa!

What I still like about this lounge is just how how quiet it is all the time. Whatever time of the day we are in there , its pretty dead.

Perfect, just like we prefer. Still wish they do something about the dining area though.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 12:21 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by carat22
Is it likely that they will ever revert back to the steak instead of the ribs?
Really miss the steak, the ribs are pretty average in my view.
The steak won't be coming back unless they can find a cheaper supplier (words direct from the chef).

M
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
The steak won't be coming back unless they can find a cheaper supplier (words direct from the chef).

M
Drats. The steak was good. Definitely a nice, "classy", first-class item to have before go straight to sleep on the red-eye.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 1:40 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
Drats. The steak was good. Definitely a nice, "classy", first-class item to have before go straight to sleep on the red-eye.
It was a very nice item to have on the menu, and the quality of the meat and cut was better than most NYC restaurants! However, the chef was asked to make the menu for Autumn/Winter, and the short-rib was felt to be a warmer dish...and with fries, its great!

M
Old Jan 23, 2024, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Let's have steak at Chelsea year-round please. Steakhouses in NYC are very popular year round, and autumn-winter is no exception!
seanp7, Parterre and Chiller3333 like this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Was through last night.

Food a little better. Service OK. No longer like a Brooklyn diner but hardly stellar either.

It's still a gaudy, noisy, windowless bunker with no privacy, no style and no class. No amount of staff training and enthusiasm is going to change that. The bathrooms remain hilarious.

As far as pure F class lounges go across the world, it remains one of the weakest offerings. If you're an American and not used to Asian / European (or any) lounges then I can see why you think it's great.

As ever, I ate and then went into the Soho, which is much nicer to relax in.
David_Doyle, Genius1 and KARFA like this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
It's a funny old lounge. It seems that the majority of fters dislike it immensely.

It's okay, okay I'm only basing it on around 30 visits last year or so, different times of the day.

Never been to Asia so can't compare.

I have never experienced it being noisy and found the employees ok to good.

Went to Soho once and wont go there again. Id prefer to go to the admirals club (on the other side), than soho.

EDIT to add,
The CCR at T7 was still a million times better though. I miss that old place, despite it being at T7.
ryanbriar and KARFA like this.

Last edited by crazyarmadillo; Jan 23, 2024 at 5:20 pm
Old Jan 24, 2024, 5:37 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred
soho can somtimes look like #StormIsha just passed through!

(of the T5 FLounge at any point during school hols week)
Old Feb 10, 2024, 1:46 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Had a slightly embarrassing situation at Chelsea just now. Arriving on Iberia with onward flights south on American and I hadn’t realised that an international arrival on Iberia as GGL didn’t qualify for Chelsea and I was directed to Soho which was perfectly fine with me. At the Soho entrance the lady there walked me back into Chelsea and an awkward debate ensued between the two sets of agents.

I think the Chelsea agents were right and I shouldn’t have been admitted as it’s based on AA or BA arrivals but I think the Soho agent was the senior and her decision prevailed. A bit awkward though.

On the plus side, I made it from the aircraft door to the Chelsea check-in in 12 minutes. I was trying to break 10 minutes and set a new personal record but there was a short delay at TSA Pre.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Mucci
Originally Posted by golfmad
Had a slightly embarrassing situation at Chelsea just now. Arriving on Iberia with onward flights south on American and I hadnít realised that an international arrival on Iberia as GGL didnít qualify for Chelsea and I was directed to Soho which was perfectly fine with me. At the Soho entrance the lady there walked me back into Chelsea and an awkward debate ensued between the two sets of agents.

I think the Chelsea agents were right and I shouldnít have been admitted as itís based on AA or BA arrivals but I think the Soho agent was the senior and her decision prevailed. A bit awkward though.

On the plus side, I made it from the aircraft door to the Chelsea check-in in 12 minutes. I was trying to break 10 minutes and set a new personal record but there was a short delay at TSA Pre.
Was your onward flight domestic?
I think you are correct then that you should have been directed to Soho- at least it has a view!
Anyway whoís to complain if they let you inÖ
Old Feb 10, 2024, 2:04 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Was your onward flight domestic?
Yes, onward is domestic on AA.
Home to shorts and t-shirt after 9 days of freezing.
Football Fan and crazy8534 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Mucci
Originally Posted by golfmad
Yes, onward is domestic on AA.
Home to shorts and t-shirt after 9 days of freezing.
I just about got washed away today in the car park beside the Seafood Restaurant in St Andrews- couldn’t even see the 1st green from the clubhouse because of the mist, so looking forward to my own trip to MIA in 2 weeks!
Football Fan and golfmad like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.