Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise ŗ jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Dec 4, 2023, 6:05 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Having been to the T7 CCR a couple times, I do agree that Chelsea just isn't the same.
Unfortunately, my GGL days only really started after the move from T7 to T8.

At least for me, access to Chelsea has become less unpredictable over time.
When traveling in the morning/evening, i.e. when BA agents are present, access has never been an issue.
Entry throughout the day has gotten much less complicated over the last months.
I still feel a bit unease every time I go there, having had to argue too many times in the past.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 6:38 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
In retrospect they do seem quite quick to judge/assess. They scanned my boarding pass last time and looked at my wife and said something along the lines of "and who is your guest". It was quite odd - he had both boarding passes. I said "We are both in First?". Just a strange way of conversing, wasn't particularly friendly has to be said. On BA flight.

Krug still in stock...
Old Dec 5, 2023, 12:08 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
Assuming you scanned your F boarding pass or mobile QR code, there should have been no issue as all the back end systems should have been in sync. Furthermore, other upgrades (using miles or SWUs) qualify. The rules are targeted at non-revs.

The agents were in the wrong (they are very quick to deny anyone who isnít 100% confident that they belong) and you should write to AA.

On that last point, I had a situation over the summer where I used a SWU to upgrade into F on AA LHR-JFK. The boarding pass stock was Iberia as I originated in MAD (mobile BPs didnít work) so even though the scan said I was allowed in, the agent said it wasnít possible as I was on an Iberia flight. I politely pointed out that this was the logo on the BP and to look at my PNR and the seat (2A on a AA 77W is F). The agent continued to push back, but a senior colleague that I knew from prior visits walked over and showed her how to access the screen with the details. All of that to sit in a windowless room
Thatís quite unfortunate that the access rules are so complicated. If the agents themselves canít interpret them consistently, how are passengers to be expected to understand them?

I was very confident that I shouldíve gotten in; to me there wasnít any question at all. I did scan the paper boarding pass, and sheís the one who said she was sorry but because I had upgraded to First that I didnít qualify.

To [MENTION=213904]percysmith[/MENTION]ís question, I am not sure how they knew I was a paid upgrade because it hadnít even occurred to me this was an issue and I certainly never offered up that info.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 1:49 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by bryanb
Thatís quite unfortunate that the access rules are so complicated. If the agents themselves canít interpret them consistently, how are passengers to be expected to understand them?
Degree in lounge entry rules BA Lounge and Concorde Dining at IAD . The trouble is, what if the examiner gets it wrong?
Old Dec 5, 2023, 2:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I am not sure they are that complicated. It is just many agents donít seem to understand. So far I have been told I had no lounge access (inbound BA F on to an AA J domestic) and Soho access (Ba J outbound).
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 3:21 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by percysmith
Best customers should be known to lounge dragons, so shouldn't be impacted by this.
The easily visible lounge staff for Soho are all AA staff - but there is one agent who recognises me whenever I say hi.

For Chelsea, one seat is for BA and one for AA. However, the BA staff are only there when there are departures, so for many of my flights (TransCons) I have to show my GGL status.

When it comes to the evenings, I know the SS staff member at the BA Customer service desk pretty well, but I'd never dream of dropping his name to get myself in.

When BA occasionally put an SS member at the front desk though, they recognise me and wave me in - so there is a small degree of memory, but most of the general BA staff are on rotation.

M
Old Dec 5, 2023, 3:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by KARFA
I am not sure they are that complicated. It is just many agents donít seem to understand. So far I have been told I had no lounge access (inbound BA F on to an AA J domestic) and Soho access (Ba J outbound).
I understand (so to speak) for Chelsea, but Soho?
It will be fun when I'll arrive from an AA transcon in J to connect to AY in J...
Old Dec 5, 2023, 3:57 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Lefly
I understand (so to speak) for Chelsea, but Soho?
It will be fun when I'll arrive from an AA transcon in J to connect to AY in J...
I've done this a few times recently, and presumably you too will be on a BAH in which case you'll have a BA flight number showing - which should be enough to be granted entry to Chelsea.

This has worked for me in the past, albeit last week I was mid-conversation about my inbound TransCon before I was cuddled by one of the Chelsea staff who told the desk I was a regular...not sure that happens to everyone, but be lucky!

M
Old Dec 5, 2023, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I've done this a few times recently, and presumably you too will be on a BAH in which case you'll have a BA flight number showing - which should be enough to be granted entry to Chelsea.

This has worked for me in the past, albeit last week I was mid-conversation about my inbound TransCon before I was cuddled by one of the Chelsea staff who told the desk I was a regular...not sure that happens to everyone, but be lucky!

M
Ah, no. AA ticket, AA flight numbers (codeshare on AY).
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 7:35 am

Programs: BA GGL
Do GGL holders get access to Chelsea when arriving on an international itinerary in J that connects to a short haul AA domestic? For example LHR - JFK (in J) connecting to JFK - BOS (in domestic first)?

I'll be GGL for my next trip so want to get the right answer. Last week the first agent I spoke to denied me access to Soho when flying a similar itinerary. Even after much discussion... They weren't best impressed when one of their AA colleagues seemed to understand the rules a bit better and did let me in.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by c1223
Do GGL holders get access to Chelsea when arriving on an international itinerary in J that connects to a short haul AA domestic? For example LHR - JFK (in J) connecting to JFK - BOS (in domestic first)?

I'll be GGL for my next trip so want to get the right answer. Last week the first agent I spoke to denied me access to Soho when flying a similar itinerary. Even after much discussion... They weren't best impressed when one of their AA colleagues seemed to understand the rules a bit better and did let me in.
Yes, be prepared to present your long-haul J boarding pass and have your physical/digital GGL card ready just in case the agents can't see your GGL status at the first glimpse on their computer.
Just don't mention any domestic and you would be fine and a verbiage like " I am a British Airways Gold Guest List member on a Flagship international itinerary " would be enough.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 7:57 am

Semi-OT, I know, because this is the Chelsea thread, but I have to ask. On what grounds?
Old Dec 5, 2023, 8:06 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Lefly
Semi-OT, I know, because this is the Chelsea thread, but I have to ask. On what grounds?
"You don't get lounge access flying AA domestic", apparently, according to that agent, even for BA emeralds... I don't know what is on their screen when they scan the BP but it was very much computer says no.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 8:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
"You don't get lounge access flying AA domestic", apparently, according to that agent, even for BA emeralds... I don't know what is on their screen when they scan the BP but it was very much computer says no.
so the answer really is a stupid agent.

as noted, the aa ones in particular are very ignorant. Would be nice if they spent less time gossiping and more time have a flick through the rules occasionally.
seanp7, EuropeanPete, Hoch and 6 others like this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 9:54 am

What the heck did they smoke? And how messed up that computer was?
Ok, they can be ignorant, but I would also blame (at least a bit) those who trained them.
LCSinTexas likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.